The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 13, 2003, 06:28pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Where should the trail official (2 whistle) position himself during a free throw?
Had a game today where the T was straddling the FT line extended near the 3pt line. I mentioned to both of them that if there was a player in that position it would be a violation but they still parked there. I know it had an adverse effect on the shooters.
Please give me an idea of what is accepted practice for HS rules.

Thx
Old Sat Dec 13, 2003, 07:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by justacoach
Where should the trail official (2 whistle) position himself during a free throw?
Had a game today where the T was straddling the FT line extended near the 3pt line. I mentioned to both of them that if there was a player in that position it would be a violation but they still parked there. I know it had an adverse effect on the shooters.

Thx
Exactly where he was. Officials are not players, we can do things that players cannot do. If that bothers one of your shooters, then they are going to have a lot of problems shooting FTs, that is the mechanic in two person or three (it will be the C official).

Peace
Old Sat Dec 13, 2003, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

That ref is responsible (among other things) to watch line violations of the shooter of the free throw.

Best view is strait across.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2003, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

I prefer to be at the free-throw line extended, but a few steps away from the 3-point line. It gives me a wider view. With the new rule re keeping the top lane space empty, you have a great view to see the violations, if any.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Without regard to what regional preferences may be...

Quote:
Originally posted by justacoach
Under NFHS guidelines, the FT line extended is not the correct mechanic.

The positioning is the same in 2 man and 3 man for the official opposite the table:

In 2 man, the L should be just below the FT line extended, halfway between the sideline and the nearer FT lane.

In 3 man, the C should be just below the FT line extended, halfway between the sideline and the nearer FT lane. He should close down as the shot goes up.

The diagram for 2 man can be found on p. 41 and for 3 man can be found on 79 of this year's Officials Manual.

Standing on the sideline, FT line extended, he cannot see the players on the opposite FT lane as well as he can from the position above. That's fine for the NBA and the NCAA because the responsibilites are different but it's not for NFHS. However, it is easier to call with the new FT setup. Of course, most officials don't call lane violations anymore anyway.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Dec 15th, 2003 at 11:56 PM]
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rob.wilson
Wink

I stand kind of diaganol from my partner during the FT attemps, that way I can see the shotter and the players that I am responsible for. And, your right the trail is opposite of the table.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow FT Administration

Quote:
Originally posted by rob.wilson
I stand kind of diaganol from my partner during the FT attemps, that way I can see the shotter and the players that I am responsible for. And, your right the trail is opposite of the table.
Bktballref said it, I think this changed last year or year before! I go to the FT line extended and take about five steps back toward half court. That's close as I get to the diagram on page 41 per the OM.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
With the top lane spaces now empty, it's easier to get a good view across the lane, and more important to keep an eye back toward the players who are rattling around loose. This year, I'm back toward the sideline about two steps more than I was last year and another step up toward the division line. During the first shot, I assess the situation, and decide if one particular item needs more attention, such as the shooter's toes, or the A1/B1 interaction in the backcourt. Then I adjust accordingly for or during the second shot.