The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
That's what I thought when I read the OP, but after reading some of the responses I was confused about either the question itself or about the answers.
I get confused by a lot of the responses to a lot of posts on this forum.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm confused. Is the question saying, "A has an AP throw-in and throws up a wedgie so what's the next play?" Or is it saying, "A has a regular throw-in and throws up a wedgie, and the next play is an AP?"
You're confused because someone (AKOFL) brought "losing the arrow" into the question when it didn't exist in the first place.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Get a rope!
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
My feeling exactly. Nobody took the arrow from them. They were not robbed. They were entitled to an AP throw-in, and they received an AP throw-in. What they did with it, is their problem.
For some folks, it's not enough to know the rules. For some folks, it's also important to understand the rules.

As I tell my students: you've never quite learned the material until you have to teach it.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
And they lose the arrow due to the violation.
It is an alternating possession throw-in when A1's throw-in lodges between the backboard and the ring.

Only if the bolded throw-in is an AP throw-in. If not, nothing happens to the arrow as a result of the bolded throw-in. (As I read the OP question).
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

The answer is FALSE in every way the statement can possibly be interpreted.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
It is an alternating possession throw-in when A1's throw-in lodges between the backboard and the ring.
No, it isn't.

9-2-8 (already cited): "[During a throw-in] the thrown ball shall not become lodged between the backboard and ring or come to rest on the flange before it touches or is touched by another player.

PENALTY: (Section 2) The ball becomes dead when the violation or technical foul occurs. Following a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at the original throw-in spot."

It doesn't matter what happened previously that occasioned the throw-in by A.
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You're confused because someone (AKOFL) brought "losing the arrow" into the question when it didn't exist in the first place.
I apologise so so much for being the only person ever to be confused by a question on this forum. I will keep my 2 cents to myself until ( if ever ) m confusion goes away. So sorry bob jenkins
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
I apologise so so much for being the only person ever to be confused by a question on this forum. I will keep my 2 cents to myself until ( if ever ) m confusion goes away. So sorry bob jenkins
Well, AKOFL, you weren't the only one!! And it's mostly a problem of the way the questions on the #$%^& test are written. I hate that thing!!
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

They are meant to be taken a variety of way with only one right answer. i have a simple mind sometimes, but I try
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 03:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Exactly My Choice Of Words, But I Agree ...

Quote:
It's mostly a problem of the way the questions on the #$%^& test are written.
Amen.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C;637370[B
It is an alternating possession throw-in when A1's throw-in lodges between the backboard and the ring.[/B]
Quote:
And it's mostly a problem of the way the questions on the #$%^& test are written. I hate that thing!!
Juulie,
There are definitely poorly worded questions on this test. Quite honestly, I don't think this is one of them. The purpose of this question is to ascertain WHEN the ball being lodged results in an AP throw-in (lodged during the normal course of play last played by a player inbounds) and when the ball being lodged results in a throw-in to the opposition (lodged during a throw-in such as the one described in the test question).
Old Sat Nov 21, 2009, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Juulie,
There are definitely poorly worded questions on this test. Quite honestly, I don't think this is one of them. The purpose of this question is to ascertain WHEN the ball being lodged results in an AP throw-in (lodged during the normal course of play last played by a player inbounds) and when the ball being lodged results in a throw-in to the opposition (lodged during a throw-in such as the one described in the test question).
Yes, that's how it's meant, but several took it differently. Which means it wasn't well written. IMO
Old Sun Nov 22, 2009, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, that's how it's meant, but several took it differently. Which means it wasn't well written. IMO
As it happens, it's the only one I missed on the test. So that may say something about how well it was written.

When I was studying for my teaching credential I took a course on writing tests. T/F tests are considered the worst for testing actual knowledge of the rules.

The intent, IMHO, of the NFHS test is only to get people into the book. It really isn't to test any real grasp of the rules.

Rita
Old Sun Nov 22, 2009, 02:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Nominate mbyron. Do I Have A Second ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
When I was studying for my teaching credential I took a course on writing tests. T/F tests are considered the worst for testing actual knowledge of the rules.
Which is why I have always advocated having an official who's day job is a teacher, hopefully an English teacher, on the test committee.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 22, 2009 at 02:52am.