The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Throw-in

A1 is attempting a throw-in. After the ball is at A1's disposal, s/he is bouncing the ball and the ball caroms off A1, the ball stays on the Out of Bounds side of the boundary line. It bounces out of the designated throw-in area. B2 reaches over the line and grabs the ball.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Ooh, that's a good one.

I'm going to say that this isn't covered in the rules and rule according to what seems fair to me, as authorized by 2-3.

In losing possession before completing the throw-in, A1 would have had to violate, either a 5-second violation or a throw-in violation to go fetch the ball. So I'm going to penalize A for a violation, awarding B the ball at the OOB spot.

I can see arguing the other way: B2 violated by reaching across the plane to get the ball, and B2's violation occurred before A1 had the chance to violate.

But I think A1 screwed up first, even if it wasn't yet a violation, and that was the occasion for B2 violating. I'm disinclined to reward A with another throw in.

Did you construct this, or find it somewhere? Or did it really happen?
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

I'd say violation on A as it is the same as passing/bouncing a ball inbounds and having the ball strike OB before entering the court.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 02:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

To me, this is similar to the RPP play where the official puts the ball on the floor for a throwin for A, and B1 comes running over and steps through and grabs the ball thinking they have the throwin. Violation on B.

In the OP, the player is allowed to dribble the ball during a spot throwin, so until they violate, it's nothing.

I've got a D.O.G. warning for B for reaching across the plane during a throwin.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 02:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I'd say violation on A as it is the same as passing/bouncing a ball inbounds and having the ball strike OB before entering the court.
Dribbling is ok, and I don't know of any rule against fumbling. This doesn't become a violation, IMO, until the ball bounces in bounds or A1 steps outside the designated spot.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 02:33pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

I've got a D.O.G. warning for B for reaching across the plane during a throwin.
9-2-10: The opponent of the thrower shall not have any part of his person through the.........plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.

Ball has been released. Not intentionally, I understand. But if the ball has left the designated throw-in spot, there is no way for A1 to legally recover it. I see this either as a legal play by B1 or a violation on A1 for failing to pass the ball directly onto the court.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

I believe we have a violation on A1 for not throwing the ball directly onto the court.
Rule 7-6-2.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
9-2-10: The opponent of the thrower shall not have any part of his person through the.........plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.

Ball has been released.
But not on a throw-in pass.

For me, if the ball is far enough away that A must leave the spot, then it's a violation on A. Otherwise, it's a T on B.

See (new) 9.2.1B, plus the "A1 fumbles the FT" case.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 02:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Ball has been released. Not intentionally, I understand. But if the ball has left the designated throw-in spot, there is no way for A1 to legally recover it. I see this either as a legal play by B1 or a violation on A1 for failing to pass the ball directly onto the court.
Why did you stop highlighting too early? I fixed it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
I believe we have a violation on A1 for not throwing the ball directly onto the court.
Rule 7-6-2.
Always listen to bob. While the ball was released, it wasn't released for a pass. "Dribbling" is explicitly allowed. If B1 reached in and stole the dribble, you'd have a T.
If the player started to throw then attempted to pull it back, fumbled, and the ball was bouncing OOB within the throwin spot, wouldn't you allow them to grab it?

Take away the defender reaching across and grabbing it, are you going to call the violation on the thrower?
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Take away the defender reaching across and grabbing it, are you going to call the violation on the thrower?
See post #2. Yes, either 5 seconds or for stepping out of the throw-in spot.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 03:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
See post #2. Yes, either 5 seconds or for stepping out of the throw-in spot.
Okay, but the OP says nothing about either of those happening. It says the ball bounced out, but we don't know how far. If, as Bob alludes to, it bounces so far that A would have to violate in order to get to it, I can see the violation being called on A.

If, however, A1 can reach it without moving from the spot (quite possible if the thrower is remotely taller than a squirrel), then it's not a violation until A1 steps too far, the ball goes in bounds, or 5 seconds elapses.

I'm not going to penalize A prematurely simply because B1 committed a violation. A may have recovered otherwise.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

The first thing that came to mind, as Bob stated, was the free throw violation case. I have a violation on A1. However, if A1 had the privilege of running the end line, you would have a T on B2.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 03:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
The first thing that came to mind, as Bob stated, was the free throw violation case. I have a violation on A1. However, if A1 had the privilege of running the end line, you would have a T on B2.
I have to ask. What's the violation on A? What did he do wrong? Are we assuming here the the ball was so far outside the spot that A would have to leave it to retrieve it?
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have to ask. What's the violation on A? What did he do wrong? Are we assuming here the the ball was so far outside the spot that A would have to leave it to retrieve it?
Yes, you are correct. I was assuming A1 was leaving his/her spot to retrieve the ball.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 03:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Yes, you are correct. I was assuming A1 was leaving his/her spot to retrieve the ball.
Gotcha.