The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 07, 2001, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Can you give a team a time-out once the elapsed time of the throw-in has reached four seconds ? The ball is not in play. It is still in the hands of player. Is there a rule that doesn't allow or allows the referee to grant or not to a time-out for this situation ? What is the ruling ? The referee in this case, a semi-final game (senior girls disallowed the time-out because he said that a change of possession was about to occur. So therefore the time-out was not granted!
Old Wed Nov 07, 2001, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

If the player asked for the time out before the ref chopped the fifth second, a time out should have been granted.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2001, 04:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C. Morris
If the player asked for the time out before the ref chopped the fifth second, a time out should have been granted.
Barry - you are absolutely correct - under NF rules, that is. However, I don't think they play NF rules in Canada so their rule may be different. Perhaps a reply from a Canadian official would clear this up. Anyone here who can come out of his lorry long enough to answer?
Old Wed Nov 07, 2001, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

They play NF rules in Ontario, and since PP is from my hometown, I'm guessing we're talking NF rules here.

Ren
Old Wed Nov 07, 2001, 09:32pm
In Memoriam

I'm guessing that the official who wouldn't grant the time-out was using a 20 year old NFHS rulebook.The rule used to be that you couldn't grant a time-out once you had hit 4 on a throw-in.You also couldn't grant a time-out to a team with the ball if you had reached 8 on the 10 second back-court count against them,or a 4-count against them in a closely guarded situation.The rationale was that the ball was about to turn over on the violation.Now,you grant the time-out.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2001, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Your close the referee that made this call just came out of retirement. He decided that since he retired from his job that he would try refereing again. The last time he refereed was way back in 1979. Obviously the rules have changed since. When he told me that he did not grant the time out I told him to reread his rule book. And yes the rule book is NF. Hopefully next time he referees he will not make this mistake again.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2001, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Wink ancient rules

Did you have a lack of action call also, forcing the team behind to force the action?
Old Wed Nov 07, 2001, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

No, it just happened that he didn't recall if the time-out rule had changed. He thought it was the same as before. After 4 sec. you couldn't grant the time-out.
Actually I told him to put the situation on the forum. Then he asked me to do it. So I did. So now he will get all your responses. Thank You.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2001, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

PP

Interesting dilemna; working with an experienced official, who is applying the wrong, "old-time" rules.

Do you anticipate that you are going to be partnered with him frequently? If so, it might bode well to TACTFULLY approach him, with rulebook in hand, an discuss the updates. I am confident that this seasoned official has MANY fine attributes to share and improve your game.

Good luck and let know how this progresses.

Have Fun!
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 02:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Two years ago, I worked with a guy who came out of a 12 year retirement. He did OK, but called a violation on a free throw when one of the players not on the lane moved a few feet sideways after the shooter had the ball but prior to the shot. The player did not come anywhere the 3 point line, was well within his proper area and well outside the vision of the shooter (no disconcertion). After he made the call, we conferred and I convinced him this was not a rule. He said it used to be. I'm in my 23rd season and I don't remember anything like this. Does anyone else?
Old Fri Nov 09, 2001, 03:51am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by PP
No, it just happened that he didn't recall if the time-out rule had changed. He thought it was the same as before. After 4 sec. you couldn't grant the time-out.
Actually I told him to put the situation on the forum. Then he asked me to do it. So I did. So now he will get all your responses. Thank You.
I'm fron Ontario too - where are you from? I'm in Waterloo.

..Mike