The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 07, 2009, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

OT - scheduling algorithms

I've been asked to put together a little computer automation to handle scheduling officials. Nothing very grand. I'd like to learn a little more about common scheduling algorithms, but I'm having some trouble finding when I'm after. Everything I've found so far under "scheduling algorithm" has turned up process/thread/CPU and other such low-level resource scheduling. I know some of you have done this. Can you point me in a useful direction? Even "the right" search terms would be a big help.
Old Sun Nov 08, 2009, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I've been asked to put together a little computer automation to handle scheduling officials. Nothing very grand. I'd like to learn a little more about common scheduling algorithms, but I'm having some trouble finding when I'm after. Everything I've found so far under "scheduling algorithm" has turned up process/thread/CPU and other such low-level resource scheduling. I know some of you have done this. Can you point me in a useful direction? Even "the right" search terms would be a big help.
There are many considerations. How many total officials? How many games do you want each official to do? Do you want the officials to work as crews? Do you want referees to only work a limited number of age groups or can they work all or multiple age groups? There are so many variables that it makes for a massive number of potential scheduling algorithms.

I would suggest that you answer the questions above. Once you get these answers, you have a number of options. If you are changing crews, you can use a team scheduling program that will create roundrobin schedules. This will allow you to get a complete mix of crew members. If you want all of them to work together, you can still use the scheduling program to assign the referee "teams" in an order that will result in an even number of early vs. late starts, etc.

Further, I would suggest you consider creating a mentoring program in which you pair the younger/less experienced referees work with a specific experienced referee for either all or half of the season. A menoring system using crews will generally result in the younger referees improving at a more rapid rate.

Good luck.
Old Sun Nov 08, 2009, 12:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I have some great scheduling algorithms. Unfortunately, they're only good on an abacus.
Old Sun Nov 08, 2009, 01:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Otherwise Known As A Slipstick ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I have some great scheduling algorithms. Unfortunately, they're only good on an abacus.
I'm centuries ahead of you. I use a slide rule. That's because I'm a modern, on the cutting edge, happening, kind of guy.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 08, 2009 at 10:22pm.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Your best bet is for your organization to bite the bullet now and go with an off the shelf product - be it arbiter or the like. Most are reasonable and fully featured.

No matter how simple it seems they want it to be now, without any doubt over time they will be asking "can you make it do this" or "can we do that"? Your time is not worth it, even if paid.

To make it really worth while you would have to be paid an amount that more than likely your organization is not willing to pay. And both parties would have wished you went in a different direction from the get go.

Trust me.