The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Scheduling Question

This weekend I was at my U10 daughter's recreational soccer opening weekend, where all the recreational teams play a 3 game round robbin for placement into divisions for the season. IMHO, this is a fairly large organization. The complex had the 4 full size fields divided into a total of around 16 smaller fields and were constantly running games on them from 8 AM until late afternoon on Saturday (and shorter hours Friday and Sunday). Now that I've set the stage, this is the question:

The single (I'm guessing 16 year old) ref for my daughter's first game (which started at about 11:15) was obviously beat before they took the field. He lay at mid field during half-time. A parent sent him a bottle of water.

I spoke to him after the game and he said he was scheduled for 7 straight games, and this was good because those working the afternoon shift got 8 in a row. The high temperature reached 97 that afternoon and had to be above 85 by game time.

What would be acceptable standards for "professional" referees in this sort of environment? Two games on, one off? Alternating?

I'm sure that they have problems getting so many referees, but what they're doing seems reckless.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

#1 It is obvious that this league has a shortage of referees. That is an issue which they need to address.

#2 Most of the better youth tournaments assign each referee a maximum of three or four games per day, and that is with a significant break included.

#3 Assigning a youth referee multiple games in a row in intense heat is simply asking for a tragedy and the accompanying lawsuit. Not a responsible practice by the assignor.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

One thing I didn't note was that instead of two 45 minute halfs, there are four 8 minute quarters (at least at U10), so each game is more like a half. Still, that's 4-5 hours in the heat without any significant break.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2007, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Trying to get a tournament like that done is difficult. Too few refs, too many games. I know they probably want to get it done in one fell swoop but maybe suggest two weekends or evenings two or three days prior to the big weekend finale. The amout of refs is probably fine during the regular season. When it is that hot proper rest and rehydration is vital!
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC
One thing I didn't note was that instead of two 45 minute halfs, there are four 8 minute quarters (at least at U10), so each game is more like a half. Still, that's 4-5 hours in the heat without any significant break.
I assumed that the games were not full length, even for the younger ages, which would be 25 minute halves. Most tournaments shorten the length of the matches if the teams are going to play more than once a day.

In my opinion it is still too much to ask of someone to have them out there in the sun for that length of time. Of course, as an adult I would not be shy about saying what I was willing to do and what I needed for a break. Most kids/teens aren't going to know to speak up in that manner until they get into trouble physically. Heat stroke is easy to get, difficult to deal with, not simple to recover from, and not usually something that the individual is aware that he is suffering. An adult needs to take a leadership role in looking out for the youths that help officiate at these events. I'm not saying that someone wasn't in this particular case, but given the details and workload that you have described I would have my concerns.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 04:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Situations like this are one of the main reasons I work basketball. The games are indoors away from dirt, heat and cold. You have air conditioning or heat, water fountains and bathrooms. Oh yeah, you can go into a private room at halftime and between games and sit down to rest.

On the down side, you're a lot closer to fans and coaches than in soccer.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Come on Padgett, you gotta love a sport that has porta potties! And, in soccer fans are 10 feet away from the touchline. Can't you just feel the love in the air.

Last edited by refnrev; Fri Aug 31, 2007 at 06:20pm.