The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Multiple foul

In an attempt to better understand rule 4-19-11 (Multiple Foul) I looked up in the casebook 4.19.11 but still have a few questions so hopefully you veterans out there can explain it in layman terms for us still learning!

4.19.11 Situation B1 and B2 foul A1 at the same time while A1 is (a) driving down the lane (b) in the act of shooting a successful or unsuccessful two point try (c) a successful three-point try; or (d) an unsuccessful three-point try.

Ruling: One free throw for each foul in (a), (b) and (c) and two free throws for each in (d) (10 Penalty 6).

So here is where my question begins.......

First off let me make sure I understand it correctly....With two defenders both committing fouls on on player, the offended player gets one free throw for each foul? Is that one set of free throws for each foul (meaning 4 total) or just one for each (meaning 1+1=2)? If it is the later then what if three players foul him? Does he get three (1+1+1=3)? Do both (or all three) have fouls recorded at the table and do both (or all three) count towards the team fouls?

Secondly, if the above situations are correct do any referees ever enforce the multiple foul rule?

Thanks....hopefully you wise men/women can shed some light on this for me!
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
First off let me make sure I understand it correctly....With two defenders both committing fouls on on player, the offended player gets one free throw for each foul? Is that one set of free throws for each foul (meaning 4 total) or just one for each (meaning 1+1=2)? If it is the later then what if three players foul him? Does he get three (1+1+1=3)? Do both (or all three) have fouls recorded at the table and do both (or all three) count towards the team fouls?
Secondly, if the above situations are correct do any referees ever enforce the multiple foul rule?
Rule 10 Penalty summary is clear that for a multiple foul it is "one free throw for each foul" not one set of free throws. Yes, for example if 3 defenders particpated in a multiple foul on a successful try, the penalty would be 3 free throws. I have never seen a multiple foul call or been told by another official that they they have seen a multiple foul called.

Here's the summary from the rule book for multiple foul penalties.

6. Multiple Foul
a. One free throw for each foul:
(1) No try involved.
(2) Successful or unsuccessful two-point try or tap.
(3) Successful three-point try or tap.
b. Two free throws for each foul:
(1) Intentional or flagrant foul.
(2) Unsuccessful three-point try or tap.
Plus ball for throw-in if intentional or flagrant.

NOTE: If one or both fouls of a multiple are flagrant, two free throws are awarded for each flagrant foul. Any player who commits a flagrant foul is disqualified.

The current IAABO refresher test includes an interesting question involving a false multiple foul.

Airborne shooter B1 is fouled by A1 before releasing the ball for a 3-point try. After releasing the ball, B1 is fouled by A2 before B1 touches the the court. The try is unsuccessful.

Result: B1 is entitled to 6 free throws.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In an attempt to better understand rule 4-19-11 (Multiple Foul) I looked up in the casebook 4.19.11 but still have a few questions so hopefully you veterans out there can explain it in layman terms for us still learning!

4.19.11 Situation B1 and B2 foul A1 at the same time while A1 is (a) driving down the lane (b) in the act of shooting a successful or unsuccessful two point try (c) a successful three-point try; or (d) an unsuccessful three-point try.

Ruling: One free throw for each foul in (a), (b) and (c) and two free throws for each in (d) (10 Penalty 6).

So here is where my question begins.......

Thanks....hopefully you wise men/women can shed some light on this for me!
First Question: It is one FT per foul not a set of free throws and yes if three players foul, each foul is penalized with a FT (=3). All fouls are recorded and count toward the team count and player disqualification.

Second Question: No. I have yet to see a multiple foul called in a game. In addition, I don't plan on calling one.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 11:59am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not want to know the rule. I am not calling a multiple foul. Something happen first.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Ok...so I understood it correctly, but I had never seen anything nor heard of any situations where a true multiple foul occurred, although I would bet it happens multiple times in any given game.....so why isn't it called or enforced?

If we aren't going to call it (because to me it seems to be a excessive punishment) then why is it a rule?
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 12:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The rule is there because they don't want the shooter being fair game for extra contact after the first foul. I've never seen it called, and I can only imagine a very specific scenario where I might call it.

Shooter goes up and get fouled shortly after beginning the shooting motion, ref blows whistle, 2nd defender goes up to block shot and flies into the shooter knocking him to the floor.

Both of these fouls would need to be too serious to ignore but not enough for an intentional.

As others here, I've never seen it called nor do I ever intend to do so.

It's like the 10 seconds for a free throw rule. It's there to keep teams from using the opportunity for a de facto timeout, but most officials have never seen it called.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 12:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

You can do what you want....but.....

Quote:
Ok...so I understood it correctly, but I had never seen anything nor heard of any situations where a true multiple foul occurred, although I would bet it happens multiple times in any given game.....so why isn't it called or enforced?

If we aren't going to call it (because to me it seems to be a excessive punishment) then why is it a rule?
I can only speak for me (and this is what I have been taught). You call a multiple foul you have now given a foul to each player. So instead of one foul, you have given two on two different players for the same action. Good luck explaining that to a coach. Then the enforcement is not conventional either. Let us say you have 5 team fouls, and you call a multiple foul on two players. Now you have given the 6 and 7 team foul. Do you think anyone is going to be accepting of the actual enforcement? Why go there? All because you have to be technically correct? Something happened first. Call the first foul or the most severe foul, but do not call a multiple foul and then mess up the enforcement. This is why you do not see multiple fouls called. I honestly do not know why this rule is in the rulebook and honestly do not care why either. All I know is if you want to confuse the hell out of everyone, call this foul. Then better yet, you better have real evidence on tape this took place. Now everyone is scrutinizing your knowledge of the rules and your judgment if it really took place. You have made a simple situation that everyone could easily accept, to people asking how the heck you could call such a case. DO NOT CALL THIS FOUL!!!!

Peace
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Good officials know what a multiple foul is and what the penalties are.

Good officials never call a multiple foul, partly because nobody else in the universe knows what they are.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 12:36pm
Esteemed Participant

I've seen it called once in my career. A1 driving to the basket late in a tie game. B Coach screams "Foul him!!" so B3 and B4 both reach in from either side and grab an arm to keep him from getting the shot off. T blows whistle and calls foul on B3 and L blows whistle and calls foul on B4 (two-whistle game). They went with the multiple. I thought it was a fantastic call at that point...B coach never said a word.

Btw - B3 is my son. Plays a lot like his dad (in other words, he sits on the bench a lot).
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I've seen it called once in my career. A1 driving to the basket late in a tie game. B Coach screams "Foul him!!" so B3 and B4 both reach in from either side and grab an arm to keep him from getting the shot off. T blows whistle and calls foul on B3 and L blows whistle and calls foul on B4 (two-whistle game). They went with the multiple. I thought it was a fantastic call at that point...B coach never said a word.

Btw - B3 is my son. Plays a lot like his dad (in other words, he sits on the bench a lot).
Post of the Month!!!
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Airborne shooter B1 is fouled by A1 before releasing the ball for a 3-point try. After releasing the ball, B1 is fouled by A2 before B1 touches the the court. The try is unsuccessful.

Incorrect: he gets 4 free throws...2 for each foul. (not that I'd ever call it.)
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown View Post

Incorrect: he gets 4 free throws...2 for each foul. (not that I'd ever call it.)
Remember this a false multiple foul. 2 free throws for a foul on an unsuccessful 3 point try does not apply. The penalty, as stated, is 3 free throws for each foul for a total of 6.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Shooter goes up and get fouled shortly after beginning the shooting motion, ref blows whistle, 2nd defender goes up to block shot and flies into the shooter knocking him to the floor.
Snaq, wouldn’t this be a false-multiple? Not that I would ever call that either.

I’ve seen a number of multiple fouls, but never seen one called. I’ve never heard any complaint because the multiple-fouls weren’t called.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 02:38pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinski View Post
Snaq, wouldn’t this be a false-multiple? Not that I would ever call that either.
If they are two separate, blatant fouls, why wouldn't you call them both? This is speaking in terms of a false multiple foul, not a true multiple foul.

Last edited by Welpe; Mon Nov 02, 2009 at 02:48pm.
Old Mon Nov 02, 2009, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
If they are two separate, blatant fouls, why wouldn't you call them both? This is speaking in terms of a false multiple foul, not a true multiple foul.
Well, I guess I shouldn’t say “ever”. But with your basic garden variety fouls that are that close together as Snaq was illustrating, I’m simply going with the first one. If I were to come to the table with both, then I’m in the same situation as calling a multiple foul: very unpopular.
Like the multiple, technically it might be the correct call, but unless they are whopper fouls, I think it is wise to go with the first only, IMHO.