The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 08:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Sportorial Question ???

The following question appeared in the October/November 2009 issue of the IAABO Sportorial:

Question: A1 picks his pivot foot up. What can A1 do before the pivot foot returns to the floor?
Answer: Pass or try. (4.44.3a)

Can't A1 request a timeout?

Here's the citation, if that helps:
4.44.3 SITUATION A: A1 jumps to try for goal. B1 also jumps and: (a) slaps the ball out of A1’s hands; (b) touches the ball but does not prevent A1 from releasing the ball; (c) touches the ball and A1 returns to the floor holding the ball; or (d) touches the ball and A1 drops it to the floor and touches it first after it bounces. RULING: In (a) and (b), the ball remains live. In (c), a traveling violation. In (d), a violation for starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor. Since the touching did not prevent the pass or try in (b), (c) and (d), the ball remains live and subsequent action is covered by rules which apply to the situation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

All that is required for a time out to be called is player control. We allow a player with no feet on the ground who is heading out of bounds to call a time out, so why not allow this player. If A1 calls a time out, I would grant it.
Old Tue Oct 27, 2009, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
All that is required for a time out to be called is player control. We allow a player with no feet on the ground who is heading out of bounds to call a time out, so why not allow this player. If A1 calls a time out, I would grant it.
Quite properly, I might add.