The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 08:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Hi:

Here's the question as written by IAABO:

Official erroneously awards A-2 a one and one. A-2 makes both free throws. B-1 passes to B-2 who scores. While the ball is at the disposal of team A, the error is recognized. Official rules the time frame to correct has expired. Is the official correct?

I just want to clarify that the reason that the answer is YES is because 2-10 says that the error must be recognized during the 1st dead ball. In the sitch above, the ball is at the disposal of A, and therefore the ball is live, thereby ending the ability to correct the mistake.

In the exam, I circled No. I guess one slipped by me.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Hi:

Here's the question as written by IAABO:

Official erroneously awards A-2 a one and one. A-2 makes both free throws. B-1 passes to B-2 who scores. While the ball is at the disposal of team A, the error is recognized. Official rules the time frame to correct has expired. Is the official correct?

I just want to clarify that the reason that the answer is YES is because 2-10 says that the error must be recognized during the 1st dead ball. In the sitch above, the ball is at the disposal of A, and therefore the ball is live, thereby ending the ability to correct the mistake.

In the exam, I circled No. I guess one slipped by me.
Yup - this can work like the replay rule in NFL - if the team snaps the ball quickly enough, they get away with one so to speak. Similarly, a team can kill themselves by picking up the ball then requesting a timeout to discuss the correctable error (if it went the other way).