The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Closely Guarded signal discussion

We had this discussion in our meeting the other night, just wondering how everyone else uses the signal. Here are the two conversations that were going on in our meeting.
Which if either is the correct way to use the signal?

First group says, if a defensive player is not 6 ft or closer to the defender playing defense you should give the "Not closely guarded signal" I guess to let everyone know that you are on top of it and they are not close enough for a count. I feel this is just extra work for us and not necessary.

Group two(my group), thinks that the "NCGS" should only be used AFTER you have started a count and then the defense is no longer within the 6 ft and the count is broken. So you give the signal to show it's been broken and that you have maybe started over if they get back into that 6 ft area right after they broke the count for a split second like point guards like to do.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
We had this discussion in our meeting the other night, just wondering how everyone else uses the signal. Here are the two conversations that were going on in our meeting.
Which if either is the correct way to use the signal?

First group says, if a defensive player is not 6 ft or closer to the defender playing defense you should give the "Not closely guarded signal" I guess to let everyone know that you are on top of it and they are not close enough for a count. I feel this is just extra work for us and not necessary.

Group two(my group), thinks that the "NCGS" should only be used AFTER you have started a count and then the defense is no longer within the 6 ft and the count is broken. So you give the signal to show it's been broken and that you have maybe started over if they get back into that 6 ft area right after they broke the count for a split second like point guards like to do.
I agree with the first group.

If the "contact" has been broken, switch hands to in dicate a new count.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

So if the defense is close but not close enough are you going to hold out your hands every few seconds to show everyone there is no need for a count?
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 02:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

The signal is for clarification purposes, that is all. You only should do it when someone thinks they are close enough, but you judge them not to be. Usually only used if the player is just standing there or the coach is calling for a count. Usually it is used outside the 3 point line and near the division line.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I agree with the first group.

If the "contact" has been broken, switch hands to in dictate a new count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
So if the defense is close but not close enough are you going to hold out your hands every few seconds to show everyone there is no need for a count?
I agree with Bob (and the first group) on this one.

However, I don't give the signal every few seconds at you suggest jritchie. I will give it once (per situation) to indicate that the player is not closely guarded. After that, they can figure it out as why I'm not counting. I don't use it too often though. Mostly I use it when the defense is looking over at me to see if they are close enough.

If the count is broke and restarted, I just use the other hand to start a new count.

-Josh
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not really in either camp. My take...

The NCGS is a communication tool whose best use is clarification. Like most other communication in our game, it is best used sparingly. There are two situations I commonly find it useful.

1. I know the defender and/or coach is looking for a count, but it isn't there. I will bust out this signal to stop them wondering whether I'm paying attention. Not only does it make my life easier, but it gives the defender definitive information about why I don't have a count.

2. Sometimes I'll have a count, but the distance is "only just" six feet. It doesn't take much movement by either player to break distance. So if the ball handler breaks distance, and the guard quickly reestablishes it, I'll use this signal to clearly communicate that.

Neither situation happens very often, so I don't use the signal very often. Many games I never use it at all.

I like the NCGS. For years we argued that everyone should know "if I'm not counting, it's not six feet" and "if I switch hands, it's a new count". But if those arguments were really true, why did we ever have to make them?

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Thu Oct 15, 2009 at 07:52pm.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 07:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Closely Guarded ...

We've been doing the not closely guarded signal as a Connecticut (a 100% IAABO state) only mechanic here for years. Now it appears as an optional signal in the international IAABO handbook.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We've been doing the not closely guarded signal as a Connecticut (a 100% IAABO state) only mechanic here for years. Now it appears as an optional signal in the international IAABO handbook.
Every once in a while a useful tool wins out over dogmatic insistence that we don't need it. Remember when they added the kick signal? Until they announced its addition, I wasn't even aware that I wasn't supposed to be using it.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

The NCGS is a tool given to use to use. My opinion is that it should not be overused. If the distance is close to being closely guarded then use the NCGS as it is an informational signal for the players, coaches, and fans. There is no reason to do it every few seconds to let everyone know that the player is not closely guarded.

I use it just to let the players know that the distance they need to make is just not over 6ft (or my estimation of said distance) so when the defender takes another step in, the closely guarded count begins. No need to give the NCGS in between 2 counds, ie. the 6ft was broken and re-established. Just switch hands rather than waste the time with the signal.

How will you know if its been 5 seconds? Either you pay enough attention to my hands and notice if they are switched or you will hear a whistle.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2009, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

I tend you use it more towards the end of the game when the team
behind might be pressing. Let the coaches know I am on top of the situation
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I like the NCGS. For years we argued that everyone should know "if I'm not counting, it's not six feet" and "if I switch hands, it's a new count". But if those arguments were really true, why did we ever have to make them?
Out of frustration that the people to whom we signaled didn't know the rules well enough to understand that we didn't have the NCGS?
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
My opinion is that it should not be overused.
Really out on a limb there, arentcha?
Old Fri Oct 16, 2009, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Really out on a limb there, arentcha?
I think he is saying that we should not overuse his opinions.