The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Old Case Books

Is there any way to get old case books that might offer some different situations than the 09-10 version?
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 02:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Is there any way to get old case books that might offer some different situations than the 09-10 version?
You could be careful when using old books. Rules and rulings sometimes change and the interpretations might not apply. Despite what Billy and I talked about.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You could be careful when using old books. Rules and rulings sometimes change and the interpretations might not apply. Despite what Billy and I talked about.

Peace
Right, but for the rules that don't change, do they usually offer different situations?
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 02:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Ask And You Will Receive, And Your Joy Will Be Complete." (John 16:24)

Quote:
Not old casebooks, but Nevadaref, justacoach, bob jenkins, and tjones1, have put together an amazing thread that includes annual interpretations that go back to 1996-97.

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...tml#post546070

I have them saved in the form of separate word documents. If you would like them, send me a private message on the Forum, including your real email address, and I'll send them to you.

Quote:
You could be careful when using old books. Rules and rulings sometimes change and the interpretations might not apply.
I agree 100% with JRutledge. "Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." (The Dalai Lama). But these archives can still be very useful, and at the least, very interesting.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Oct 11, 2009 at 02:25pm.
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 02:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Right, but for the rules that don't change, do they usually offer different situations?
They may have similar plays with different interpretations or sometimes different rulings. I am just saying you might want to be careful if there are different situations and changes that are not clear. I personally would not want to read old rulings where a definition or editorial change was made. Then again I work 3 sports and I am not trying to learn ever changed rule from the past more than I need to.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 02:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Let's roll, huh?" ...

Quote:
They may have similar plays with different interpretations or sometimes different rulings. I am just saying you might want to be careful if there are different situations and changes that are not clear. I personally would not want to read old rulings where a definition or editorial change was made.
In other words, "And hey, let's be careful out there." (Sgt. Phil Esterhaus)

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Remember that case plays and interpretation don't establish a rule, they just give examples or explain a rule. So, no matter how long ago a case/situation was published, they still remain valid, even if not in current publications, unless there has been a rule change or a new case play that changes the ruling. Everything about current rules that would be "needed" is in the current rules book alone...the case book and situations are merely supplemental.
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 06:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

See: 1996-97 NFHS Points of Emphasis Re: Permanent Tattoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No matter how long ago a case/situation was published, they still remain valid, even if not in current publications, unless there has been a rule change or a new case play that changes the ruling.
Camron Rust: Have you checked this philosophy with JRutledge? He may beg to differ with you.

Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 10:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Remember that case plays and interpretation don't establish a rule, they just give examples or explain a rule. So, no matter how long ago a case/situation was published, they still remain valid, even if not in current publications, unless there has been a rule change or a new case play that changes the ruling. Everything about current rules that would be "needed" is in the current rules book alone...the case book and situations are merely supplemental.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Camron Rust: Have you checked this philosophy with JRutledge? He may beg to differ with you.
The casebook are interpretations, I do not know how you could have a casebook play without some rule to go along with the application.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The Case book doesn't change from year to year, except to add new plays and remove those that are no longer correct by rule change. I have them back to the early 90's. THere's very little change, except for rule changes. Stick with the current book.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith