The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

FED rules and case books

Has anybody been able to download the 2009 Baseball Rules or Case Books?

Last year I accessed and downloaded these through the Resource Library at NFHS.org using a search function, but so far this year the searches don't turn up anything related to baseball.

Yes, I am a paid member.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post

Last year I accessed and downloaded these through the Resource Library at NFHS.org using a search function, but so far this year the searches don't turn up anything related to baseball.

Yes, I am a paid member.
I was under the impression they weren't available for download. Therefore, I scanned all the pages into a PDF file.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

They are there...or, at least, I will say that I have accessed them many times so far this year.

The difference from last year is that the NFHS website has changed the links to find the rule books. It took me awhile to figure this out, and at first I thought that the books weren't available myself.

I access them by:

- Logging in. (You must be registered and logged in to access these).

- Click "Resourse Library" from the "Quick Links" menu in the upper left corner of the screen. (Weird glitch here- sometimes the "Resource Library" link does not appear in the menu! It will usually pop up if you refresh the page, or if you go to another page.)

- On the "Search" page that pops up, click "Rules Information" from the "Available Subcategories" section at the bottom of the page. Give it a minute- sometimes it takes as much as ten seconds to generate the list of categories. (Another weird glitch- if you type "baseball"- or any other sport- in the search box, you get several pages of links that don't have anything to do with the subject you requested. Or, sometimes, you get a blank page.))

- A list of all the available rule and case books (pretty much for every sport) will pop up.

- Click the "Baseball" link and you'll find what you're looking for!

For whatever reason, the process for finding these books is more cumbersome that it was last year. You have to go through multiple links, the links aren't especially intuitive or user-friendly and, in some cases, the links you need aren't even there. But the rule and case books are available for download- if you can find them!

Last edited by BretMan; Fri Mar 06, 2009 at 11:40am.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
For whatever reason, the process for finding these books is more cumbersome that it was last year. You have to go through multiple links, the links aren't especially intuitive or user-friendly and, in some cases, the links you need aren't even there. But the rule and case books are available for download- if you can find them!
Why don't you bookmark the link to the rules? That way, you won't have to go through these steps again.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Sure, that will work. But you have to be able to find the rule and case books before you can bookmark them.

The person that posted couldn't even find the books in the first place. My post was aimed at helping him find them. Once you find them, bookmark away!

I have the NFHS site bookmarked and, since I can find the rules with a couple of clicks, access them that way. If you have the rule book bookmarked, but are not logged into the site, the books will not display. So you still have to go to the NFHS main page to log in anyway. You can't bypass the log in procedure.
Old Fri Mar 06, 2009, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post

I generally just use the ones they send me when I register with my state.
Old Sat Mar 07, 2009, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

BretMan,
Thanks very much! Now I can see them.

DG,
It's much easier for me to search the electronic version than to thumb through the book when I'm trying to find a rule applicable to a given situation.