The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Old Case Books (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/54976-old-case-books.html)

bas2456 Sun Oct 11, 2009 01:57pm

Old Case Books

Is there any way to get old case books that might offer some different situations than the 09-10 version?

JRutledge Sun Oct 11, 2009 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 630243)
Is there any way to get old case books that might offer some different situations than the 09-10 version?

You could be careful when using old books. Rules and rulings sometimes change and the interpretations might not apply. Despite what Billy and I talked about.

Peace

bas2456 Sun Oct 11, 2009 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 630246)
You could be careful when using old books. Rules and rulings sometimes change and the interpretations might not apply. Despite what Billy and I talked about.

Peace

Right, but for the rules that don't change, do they usually offer different situations?

BillyMac Sun Oct 11, 2009 02:13pm

"Ask And You Will Receive, And Your Joy Will Be Complete." (John 16:24)

Quote:

Not old casebooks, but Nevadaref, justacoach, bob jenkins, and tjones1, have put together an amazing thread that includes annual interpretations that go back to 1996-97.

http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...tml#post546070

I have them saved in the form of separate word documents. If you would like them, send me a private message on the Forum, including your real email address, and I'll send them to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 630246)
You could be careful when using old books. Rules and rulings sometimes change and the interpretations might not apply.

I agree 100% with JRutledge. "Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." (The Dalai Lama). But these archives can still be very useful, and at the least, very interesting.

JRutledge Sun Oct 11, 2009 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 630249)
Right, but for the rules that don't change, do they usually offer different situations?

They may have similar plays with different interpretations or sometimes different rulings. I am just saying you might want to be careful if there are different situations and changes that are not clear. I personally would not want to read old rulings where a definition or editorial change was made. Then again I work 3 sports and I am not trying to learn ever changed rule from the past more than I need to.

Peace

BillyMac Sun Oct 11, 2009 02:32pm

"Let's roll, huh?" ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 630251)
They may have similar plays with different interpretations or sometimes different rulings. I am just saying you might want to be careful if there are different situations and changes that are not clear. I personally would not want to read old rulings where a definition or editorial change was made.

In other words, "And hey, let's be careful out there." (Sgt. Phil Esterhaus)

http://thm-a01.yimg.com/image/462e77468bce55c6

Camron Rust Sun Oct 11, 2009 05:58pm

Remember that case plays and interpretation don't establish a rule, they just give examples or explain a rule. So, no matter how long ago a case/situation was published, they still remain valid, even if not in current publications, unless there has been a rule change or a new case play that changes the ruling. Everything about current rules that would be "needed" is in the current rules book alone...the case book and situations are merely supplemental.

BillyMac Sun Oct 11, 2009 06:54pm

See: 1996-97 NFHS Points of Emphasis Re: Permanent Tattoos

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 630280)
No matter how long ago a case/situation was published, they still remain valid, even if not in current publications, unless there has been a rule change or a new case play that changes the ruling.

Camron Rust: Have you checked this philosophy with JRutledge? He may beg to differ with you.

JRutledge Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 630280)
Remember that case plays and interpretation don't establish a rule, they just give examples or explain a rule. So, no matter how long ago a case/situation was published, they still remain valid, even if not in current publications, unless there has been a rule change or a new case play that changes the ruling. Everything about current rules that would be "needed" is in the current rules book alone...the case book and situations are merely supplemental.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 630289)
Camron Rust: Have you checked this philosophy with JRutledge? He may beg to differ with you.

The casebook are interpretations, I do not know how you could have a casebook play without some rule to go along with the application.

Peace

BktBallRef Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:26pm

Quote:

The Case book doesn't change from year to year, except to add new plays and remove those that are no longer correct by rule change. I have them back to the early 90's. THere's very little change, except for rule changes. Stick with the current book.