The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

The T-Wolves had their first preseason game on Sunday against the Bucks. 73 fouls called, 41 on Milwaukee. The Bucks were 26-38 from the line and the Wolves were 50-56. The Wolves averaged about 23 FT attempts per game last year. The Minneapolis paper commented on how whistle happy the replacement Refs were.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

There is usually a gag order issued concerning the criticism of replacement officials to the press in any sport where there is a job action by the officials. Teams are going to respond positively to the press or face the consequences. There is usually some communication given about deportment during the game also. So, "nice game" if you are one who is always searching for this comment from coaches and players, doesn't mean squat during a strike situation.

Last edited by tballump; Tue Oct 06, 2009 at 07:50pm.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
So....if you give this guy an argument, he lops your head off with his sword?
No. Of course not. Don't be silly.

He has people to take of that for him.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 05:10am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
More "comments" on how the replacements are doing.....

"West missed a game that featured a total of 55 fouls called by replacement officials, with Cleveland shooting 41 free throws to Charlotte's 24. Larry Brown got a technical in the final minute of the third quarter for arguing a call on a Bobcats player, and continued to ride the officials the rest of the game.

"They're learning,'' the Charlotte coach said about the replacement officials, who are working preseason games while the regular officials are locked out. "They're trying to get better. This is not an easy game to officiate. All you want as a coach is consistency, but this is not an easy thing for them. We have the best officials in all of sports, and this is the way it is.''

Entire article is at:

Shaq's Debut Overshadowed by Delonte West, Replacement Officials -- NBA FanHouse
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Seems like Shaq is the only one giving the regular officials their due and realizes their importance to the NBA game and the game itself. This carries over into realizing the importance of all officials at all levels and their contribution to the game.
Once again, don't let the NBA drag other experienced officials in the farm system or in the amateur system into the controversy to do their bidding for them. Let them negotiate. If they need people to officiate during negotiations, let them get people off the street and put them through a 2 week training course (since they think so little of officials just think officials are just a necessary evil and expense anyway). The replacements can work until the strike is over and then decide if they really like officiating and could sign up with their local officiating group and then later apply to be a regular NBA ref and go through the minor league system themselves.

Last edited by tballump; Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 06:40am.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Out of curiosity, do these D-League and WNBA officials have a choice on whether or not they want to be replacements?
I have a friend who is a WNBA ref and was asked and he turned it down. So they dont have to. As far as D-League Officials, I would think they would want to work for the experience!
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 09:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2 View Post
I have a friend who is a WNBA ref and was asked and he turned it down. So they dont have to. As far as D-League Officials, I would think they would want to work for the experience!
It's not as simple as that. At least one NBA ref is a D1/D2 supervisor. And there are current and former D-League refs on his conference staffs whom the NBA has working in the pre-season. How do you think this NBA ref will treat those D-Leaguers when the lock-out is over?
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

The 5 replacement officials listed below will work their first NBA preseason game tonight. The original post has been edited to include them. The later additions to the replacement roster are not on the D-League and WNBA rosters and come from the d1 ranks and other pro leagues.

Jerrald Drummond, Tim Greene, Marty McEachean, Hector Sanchez, Art Vaulk
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 11:03am
certified Hot Mom tester

I read that some reporter said the NBA was having trouble finding replacement refs, since it was hard to find people who can quickly make snap judgments of total objectivity. So...they decided to hire Paula Abdul.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

If they replacement refs do a solid job even @ 95% of what the original refs were making don't you think the NBA would be fine with that?

When you're at the top there are always people below you that want the opportunity.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 11:33am
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja View Post
I have not watched an '09 NBA pre-season game yet. How are the replacement refs doing? They are coming mostly from the D-League and WNBA with a smattering of college guys. This list of replacement refs is updated daily and includes photos and game assignments.

Steve Anderson
Riel Banaria
Brett Barnaky
Scott Bolnick
Michael Borgelt
Lorenzo Bronson
Nick Buchert
Deldre Carr
Jose Carrion
Marcus Clayton
Sir Allen Connor
Andre Crawford
Jerrald Drummond
Kane Fitzgerald
Edward Gaines
Carlos Gonzalez
Tim Greene
Micheal Henderson
Don Hudson
Byron Jarrett
Keith Kimble
Marat Kogut
Karl Lane
Jamie Luckie
Tre Maddox
Glenn Mayberry
George McDaniels
Marty McEachean
William Mensah
Matthew Myers
Brett Nansel
JT Orr
Mike Price
Robbie Robinson
Hector Sanchez
Kevin Scott
Garrick Shannon
Brian Shelley
Lamont Simpson
Jeff Smith
Kevin Sparrock
Clarke Stevens
Ben Taylor
Josh Tiven
Tony Turner
Scott Twardoski
Art Vaulk
Kurt Walker
CJ Washington
Ken Washington
James Williams
Jeff Wooten
This list is not complete. I have a friend who is working and his name is not on the list yet...

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
How do they have a choice if the NBA was not happy on their decision? That sounds like if they want to keep their job or standing, they have to work. If they want to give it all up, they do not work. Technically they have a choice, but it is the end result of that choice that is going to matter.

Peace
I agree with you on this JRut, and I never said it was an easy decision; but it was his decision to make. I'm sure him having close ties and friendships to the his mentors of current NBA refs had a LOT to do with it. It was definitely a hard spot to be put into but he made the best decision for his situation.

On a side note: I was told that John Adams is not looking too highly on the D1 refs who are working the NBA games right now. Take it for what it is.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
This list is not complete. I have a friend who is working and his name is not on the list yet...
When your friend works a game, he'll be added. The original list came from an NBA email listing 44 officials. Other officials are being added as their game assignments are posted on the NBA web site.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 12:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
I agree with you on this JRut, and I never said it was an easy decision; but it was his decision to make. I'm sure him having close ties and friendships to the his mentors of current NBA refs had a LOT to do with it. It was definitely a hard spot to be put into but he made the best decision for his situation.

On a side note: I was told that John Adams is not looking too highly on the D1 refs who are working the NBA games right now. Take it for what it is.
Well it is not much of a choice when the choices are:
  1. Potentially ruin your career
  2. Get no respect from your possible future colleges and ruin your career in the process.

I do not consider those good choices.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 09:25pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Is the "Micheal Henderson" on the list the same guy that was previously employed with the league, and wore #62. He was involved in an incident that caused all the other refs to wear their shirts backwards one/multiple night(s).