The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NBA Replacement Refs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/54920-nba-replacement-refs.html)

wanja Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:16pm

NBA Replacement Refs

I have not watched an '09 NBA pre-season game yet. How are the replacement refs doing? They are coming mostly from the D-League and WNBA with a smattering of college guys. This list of replacement refs is updated daily and includes photos and game assignments.

Steve Anderson
Riel Banaria
Dan Beauchamp
Scott Bolnick
Michael Bobiak
Michael Borgelt
Lorenzo Bronson
Nick Buchert
James Buntin
Deldre Carr
Marcus Clayton
Sir Allen Connor
Andre Crawford
Greg Dandridge
Mike DiRenzo
Jerrald Drummond
Edward Gaines
Carlos Gonzalez
Tim Greene
Eric Hanspard
Michael Henderson
Wilson Holland
Don Hudson
Ivan Jackson
Byron Jarrett
Larry Killips
Karl Lane
Roberto Marquez
Tre Maddox
Jose Martin
Glenn Mayberry
Corey McCray
George McDaniels
Marty McEachean
William Mensah
Victor Montgomery
Jaime Morales
Matthew Myers
Brett Nansel
JT Orr
Robbie Robinson
Hector Sanchez
Kevin Scott
Garrick Shannon
Brian Shelley
Lamont Simpson
Clifford Sims
Jeff Smith
Kevin Sparrock
Crathman Stephens
Tom Sterner
Ben Taylor
Scott Twardoski
Art Vaulk
Kurt Walker
CJ Washington
Ken Washington
James Williams
Jeff Wooten

Welpe Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:32pm

Out of curiosity, do these D-League and WNBA officials have a choice on whether or not they want to be replacements?

Mark Padgett Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanja (Post 629219)
Sir Allen Connor

So....if you give this guy an argument, he lops your head off with his sword? :eek:

wanja Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 629224)
Out of curiosity, do these D-League and WNBA officials have a choice on whether or not they want to be replacements?

Interesting question -- I don't have an answer. One of the contract issues is that the NBA wants to use WNBA and D-League refs for some regular season NBA games as part of a development program.

SAK Tue Oct 06, 2009 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanja (Post 629232)
Interesting question -- I don't have an answer. One of the contract issues is that the NBA wants to use WNBA and D-League refs for some regular season NBA games as part of a development program.

Is that to say that the WNBA is also a developmental league for referees?

wanja Tue Oct 06, 2009 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 629246)

In fact, that has been the case. The following referees officiated in the WNBA before getting a shot in the NBA.

Mark Ayotte
Matt Boland
Tony Brown
Derrick Collins
Pat Fraher
Dee Kantner
Bill Kennedy
Courtney Kirkland
Ed Malloy
Tommy Nunez, Jr.
Violet Palmer
Jason Phillips
Eli Roe
Kurt Walker
Zach Zarba
Gary Zielinski

Indianaref Tue Oct 06, 2009 01:33pm

Just a prediction, as we get close to season opener, watch the media reports on how bad the replacement refs are.

bas2456 Tue Oct 06, 2009 01:37pm

All indications thus far are that the replacements are doing well.

JRutledge Tue Oct 06, 2009 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 629246)

I seriously doubt it. And that in itself might help those feelings of the current NBA Officials. Now if these were simply officials from the high school to college ranks, you might have a different reaction.

Peace

dahoopref Tue Oct 06, 2009 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 629224)

Yes they do have a choice. I know of one highly respected D1 official who was on the fast-track to the NBA. He said "no" and chose not to work as a "scab" because many of his mentors are NBA refs. Because of his decision, he may never reach his goal of working the NBA.

The NBA administration did not look highly of him turning down the offer to work during the lockout. After the lockout is over, it will interesting to see if he gets invited back to work the D-League.

mbyron Tue Oct 06, 2009 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 629250)
Just a prediction, as we get close to season opener, watch the media reports on how bad the replacement refs are.

Disagree. Every team's media office will be threatening to cut off access to players in response to stories like that.

Raymond Tue Oct 06, 2009 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 629266)
Yes they do have a choice. I know of one highly respected D1 official who was on the fast-track to the NBA. He said "no" and chose not to work as a "scab" because many of his mentors are NBA refs. Because of his decision, he may never reach his goal of working the NBA.

The NBA administration did not look highly of him turning down the offer to work during the lockout. After the lockout is over, it will interesting to see if he gets invited back to work the D-League.

If what you say is correct, then essentially they don't have a choice. They either work the NBA games or risk losing their D-League/WNBA jobs.

My idea of choice as it pertains to this scenario is "can they choose not to work NBA games now and still remain in the D-League and WNBA programs?"

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Oct 06, 2009 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 629250)

So far I haven't heard a peep like this. Matter of fact, I overheard a local sportscaster comment he thought the replacements were doing better than the regular officials. :eek: The anchor asked if he'd been watching the movie "The Replacements" too many times. The sportscaster said no, and shockingly he said he was telling the full truth. :cool:

Welpe Tue Oct 06, 2009 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 629269)
If what you say is correct, then essentially they don't have a choice. They either work the NBA games or risk losing their D-League/WNBA jobs.

My idea of choice as it pertains to this scenario is "can they choose not to work NBA games now and still remain in the D-League and WNBA programs?"

This is exactly the reason for my question. That doesn't seem like much of a choice unfortunately.

JRutledge Tue Oct 06, 2009 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 629266)

How do they have a choice if the NBA was not happy on their decision? That sounds like if they want to keep their job or standing, they have to work. If they want to give it all up, they do not work. Technically they have a choice, but it is the end result of that choice that is going to matter.

Peace