The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Question for my fellow FIBA officials

I started officiating under NCAA rules years ago and then our province went to FIBA rules. I thought I knew most of the rules differences between NCAA and FIBA but I discovered a new one last night.

It refers to a shot clock reset. Turns out that in FIBA, anytime a ball hits the rim; the shot clock is reset. Not just on field goal attempt. So a fairly common play is when a pass is deflected and it touches the rim. I've always advised shot clock operators in that situation not to reset the shot clock. For those of you who officiate FIBA, am I the only guy who didn't realize this or are some of you surprised as well?
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
I started officiating under NCAA rules years ago and then our province went to FIBA rules. I thought I knew most of the rules differences between NCAA and FIBA but I discovered a new one last night.

It refers to a shot clock reset. Turns out that in FIBA, anytime a ball hits the rim; the shot clock is reset. Not just on field goal attempt. So a fairly common play is when a pass is deflected and it touches the rim. I've always advised shot clock operators in that situation not to reset the shot clock. For those of you who officiate FIBA, am I the only guy who didn't realize this or are some of you surprised as well?

Somewhat unrelated... in New York State, the shot clock rules aren't identical to NCAA. It states that any thrown ball that hits the rim is a reset. I wonder if a deflected thrown ball would still warrant a reset. Any thoughts?
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

FIBA- not a fan. FIBA season is just around the corner here in Ontario. When briefing a scorer the other day he asked me if bonus was after the 5th foul in the quarter.
Old Fri Oct 02, 2009, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It came with the last rule revision, in 2008.

Quote:
Art. 50 Twenty-four second operator: Duties
The twenty-four second operator shall be provided with a twenty-four second device and operate it so that it shall be:
50.1 Started or restarted whenever a team gains control of a live ball on the playing court.
50.2 Stopped and reset to twenty-four (24) seconds, with no display visible, as soon as:
• An official blows his whistle for a foul or violation.
• The ball legally enters the basket.
• The ball touches the ring of the opponents' basket unless the ball lodges on the basket support.
As usual, one must recall that, in FIBA, a team tries to send the ball into their opponents' basket.

Ciao
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

reset the 24

below is the rule explaining what you ask. it does not matter that it was deflected, the rule is as explained below. hope this helps

50.2 Stopped and reset to twenty-four (24) seconds, with no display visible, as soon as:
• The ball touches the ring of the opponents' basket unless the ball lodges on the basket support.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 10:43pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
FIBA- not a fan. FIBA season is just around the corner here in Ontario. When briefing a scorer the other day he asked me if bonus was after the 5th foul in the quarter.
Valid question. He wants to know if it's on or after the 5th.
Old Wed Nov 04, 2009, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
For those of us less familiar with FIBA, what is the bonus rule?
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

After the fourth team foul in a quarter,each DEFENSIVE foul entitles the opposition to 2 free throws.
Old Thu Nov 05, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
For those of us less familiar with FIBA, what is the bonus rule?
Team penalty: just the same concept as in NFHS, but with the usual differences.

The team penalty starts at the 5th foul in each quarter; overtimes are considered as the continuation of the fourth quarter (unless the referee is Mark Padgett, when overtimes are not an option; but he doesn't work FIBA games, of course).

Each non team control foul after the fourth foul in a quarter is penalized with two free throws (no 1 and 1). I prefer to say "non team control foul" rather than "defensive" foul which is ambiguous.

Of course one has to keep in mind other small differences: there is team control on a throw in and there is no team control when the ball has left the shooter's hands for a try (and no player control as well).

Ciao
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

not bonus

just a reminder that in FIBA we do not have bonus. FIBA refers to free throws after the fourth fouls per quarter as "being in penalty" not bonus.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 09:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I just love it when you speak French! (Gomez Addams)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
FIBA refers to free throws after the fourth foul per quarter as "being in penalty" not bonus.
Right, but they call it "étant en peine".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

eh?

mon francais n'est pas bon mais "étant en peine" means being in sorrow??
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 07:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hey, My Most Recent French Class Was In 1971, A.D. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
mon francais n'est pas bon mais "étant en peine" means being in sorrow??
How about "être dans la peine"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Nov 13, 2009, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
How about "être dans la peine"?
How about this french: STFU.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 05:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I understand that. I should have been more clear. It was the a highschool game I was doing so Fed rules apply.