The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Fake

I was shooting free throws today at the gym and came across a situation...

As I was starting my shooting motion, the ball sort of slipped out of my hands, so I stopped myself and started again.

Would you call this a fake during a game? There is a situation in the casebook (9.1.2), but how does an official tell what's a fake and what isn't?
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 10:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I was shooting free throws today at the gym and came across a situation...

As I was starting my shooting motion, the ball sort of slipped out of my hands, so I stopped myself and started again.

Would you call this a fake during a game? There is a situation in the casebook (9.1.2), but how does an official tell what's a fake and what isn't?
It's less relevant now that the players on the lane can't enter until the ball hits the rim or backboard, so it would have to be one hel1 of an obvious fake before I'd even think about whistling the violation.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's less relevant now that the players on the lane can't enter until the ball hits the rim or backboard, so it would have to be one hel1 of an obvious fake before I'd even think about whistling the violation.
So what would you do? Blow the whistle and give the ball back to the shooter or call it a violation because the shot didn't hit the rim?
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 05:17am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Here is a Case Book Example on Faking a Shot and Another on the Free Thrower Losing the Ball.

FAKING

9.1.3 SITUATION A: A1, at the free throw line to attempt a final free throw, fakes the release of the ball. RULING: A violation by A1, Team B will be awarded a throw-in at the nearest spot. COMMENT: The faking of a free throw try is a violation. However, if A1 does not feel comfortable after starting his/her motion and stops to adjust, the players in the lane spaces are expected to hold their positions. (9-1-3b)

FREE-THROWER LOSES BALL

*9.1.1 SITUATION: A1, at the free-throw line to attempt a free throw: (a) muffs the pass from the official and it rolls forward; or (b) while performing his/her habitual dribbles prior to the release, accidentally allows the ball to deflect off his/her foot into the lane. RULING: In (a), the official should sound the whistle to prevent any violations and then start the free throw procedure again. No freethrow violation should be called in this situation. In (b), a free-throw violation shall be called on A1. (9-1-3a, e)

In your case, was the Fake "intentional?" Or would you say the Free Thrower "lost the ball?" If they lost the ball and got it back "without violating" and no one else violated - easy no call (keep counting).

If he violates to get the ball. Tweet!

But, what if he gets the ball back legally, and someone else violates? Delayed violation on them? Hmmm....

As a ref, would you use "preventitve officiating" and blow it dead before a violation, get the ball back, and re-toss it to the shooter?

Last edited by grunewar; Thu Oct 01, 2009 at 05:19am.
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
But, what if he gets the ball back legally, and someone else violates? Delayed violation on them? Hmmm....

As a ref, would you use "preventitve officiating" and blow it dead before a violation, get the ball back, and re-toss it to the shooter?
If he gets the ball back legally, there's no "preventative officiating" to be done. You can't blow it dead because all the action so far has been legal.

If someone else violates, it depends on what happened. If the shooter made a borderline fake shot that caused another player to violate, the burden is on the shooter.

If the shooter recovers the ball and another player subsequently wanders out of the lane, that's on the other player.

FWIW, I've never seen any of this happen, so it's all a little TWP for my taste.
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 06:30am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
If he gets the ball back legally, there's no "preventative officiating" to be done. You can't blow it dead because all the action so far has been legal.
What I meant here was - If the shooter accidentally "muffs/drops" the ball as described, and it gets away from him, would you as an official determine it wasn't an intentional fake, "blow it dead" (preventative officiating) before any violation, ask for the ball back, and readminister the free-throw? It's a COA.

PS - I've never seen it either.
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What I meant here was - If the shooter accidentally "muffs/drops" the ball as described, and it gets away from him, would you as an official determine it wasn't an intentional fake, "blow it dead" (preventative officiating) before any violation, ask for the ball back, and readminister the free-throw?
Depends. If he muffs the pass from the official, 9.1.1 applies and we redo. If he has possession, muffs while dribbling, and can't recover the ball without violating, then it's a violation.

Why would you prevent the violation? During play do you catch the ball to keep it from going out of bounds?
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 06:42am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
In your case, was the Fake "intentional?" Or would you say the Free Thrower "lost the ball?" If they lost the ball and got it back "without violating" and no one else violated - easy no call (keep counting).
Quote:
Another option would be a missed try.
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 06:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Flow Of The Game ...

Quote:
Why would you prevent the violation? During play do you catch the ball to keep it from going out of bounds?
Of course I would. Not catching it would be a game interrupter.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't see anything in the case that says the shooter can get the ball back. The case seems to imply that once the ball is dropped and rolls into the lane, it's a violation.

(We had this discussion last year when the change was introduced. No consensus was reached, iirc.)
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Get by with a little help from my friends ...

I don't see anything that says the shooter can get the ball back, either. Is there any sort of citation or case that discusses if A1 is the FT shooter, fumbles and A2 (on the lane legally the whole time) bumps it back to A1? Legal?
Old Thu Oct 01, 2009, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't see anything in the case that says the shooter can get the ball back. The case seems to imply that once the ball is dropped and rolls into the lane, it's a violation.
I agree that if the ball rolls into the lane then it's a violation.

I'm imagining a case in which he loses the handle and it drops at his feet or next to him, so that he need not violate to recover the ball.