The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to danreeves1973
Had a coach ask me this before a game a two weeks ago, he stated that this had happened to his team at a tournament the week before. I wasn't sure of the answer, still not 100% now.

1 out, R1 and R3, RHP. Batters up, R1 takes a big lead. Pitcher is throwing from the stretch, comes set, and then is told R1 is going to second.(I'm guessing SS or FB hollered he's going? not sure)He turns his head, and fakes a throw to second, doesn't release the ball, doesn't move his feet, or his front arm, just extends his right arm straight back. Kinda like you would backhand it to someone. R1 hits the brakes, returns to first. Coach wanted it to be a balk, ump said it was not, he was throwing to pick off the runner. But the guy never actually threw the ball.

The coaches questions to me:
1. Was it a balk?
2. Can a pitcher throw to an unoccupied base?

Based off what he told me, and I tried to get all the info. to get it straight, I'd say it was a balk. Realy odd situation though, one to think about.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Was it a balk?: Absolutely. F1 must step toward a base to throw OR fake to that base. If his feet didn't move, he didn't step.

Can F1 throw to an unoccupied base?: Absolutely, if it is for the purpose of making a play on a runner.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

cb nailed it.

Balk, since when you feint/throw to a base, you must also step.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbfoulds
Was it a balk?: Absolutely. F1 must step toward a base to throw OR fake to that base. If his feet didn't move, he didn't step.

Can F1 throw to an unoccupied base?: Absolutely, if it is for the purpose of making a play on a runner.
And the runner also must be making an attempt to go to 2nd not merely a bluff for there to be an attempt at the (unoccupied) base.

And then as stated, the attempt must be legitimate.

Your umpire must have been asleep on that play, and therefore, they will probably try it again soon.

Thanks
David
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Well,

Actually, as soon as the hands are separated, and the front foot does not move, it is a balk for failing to deliver the pitch to the plate.

Making,

IIITBTSB

And David B we should explain that at the FED level ANY fake by the runner equals an attempt to advance but in OBR there must be steps towards the base involved.

They make even the easy ones difficult sometimes.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Re: Well,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Actually, as soon as the hands are separated, and the front foot does not move, it is a balk for failing to deliver the pitch to the plate.

Making,

IIITBTSB

And David B we should explain that at the FED level ANY fake by the runner equals an attempt to advance but in OBR there must be steps towards the base involved.

They make even the easy ones difficult sometimes.
Thanks T, good point. I wasn't thinking about that.

And good reminder IIITBTSB.

It always makes an interesting discussion when I bring that up at a meeting etc.,

Thanks
David
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

could you define that lengthy acronym?
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by largeone59
could you define that lengthy acronym?
It Is Impossible To Balk To Second Base.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Thanks to both Tee & DavidB for "the rest of the story" & the IIITBTSB reminder.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

As this sitch has demonstrated, it is possible to balk to 2B. If a pitcher in the set position throws to second base without moving his feet, it's a balk.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
As this sitch has demonstrated, it is possible to balk to 2B. If a pitcher in the set position throws to second base without moving his feet, it's a balk.
"Cept:
Quote:
Originally posted by Tee
NOT for throwing to 2d. IIITBTSB
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

I guess maybe it is all in how you define balking "to second base".

With R2, the pitcher throws to second but steps toward third. Balk. Seems like that's a balk to second base. Unless maybe you say he balked to the base he stepped toward. Of course then you reverse it and you have a balk to second.

Unless your argument is that the balk is for not stepping to the base your throwing to. I guess then you can't balk to any base. Or can you?
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
"Cept:
Quote:
Originally posted by Tee
A throw to 2b is not a pitch, therefore it is a balk for failure to step to the base being thrown to. If the hands separate, and a throw is made to 2b without the feet moving, it is a balk to 2b.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

How about throwing to an unoccupied 2nd base???
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
"Cept:
Quote:
Originally posted by Tee
A throw to 2b is not a pitch, therefore it is a balk for failure to step to the base being thrown to. If the hands separate, and a throw is made to 2b without the feet moving, it is a balk to 2b.
It's nearly futile. Better have tried.