The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 10:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up Ejected coaches must take test!

The Oregon State Activities Assn. (OSAA) announced that any coach ejected from any HS game must complete an online sportsmanship course to be reinstated. An OSAA spokesperson said the purpose was to turn the situation into an "educational setting rather than just punitive".

Currently, ejected coaches are suspended for one game and their school is fined $50. The fines can escalate as ejections pile up. With the new rule, ejected coaches are also required to complete this new course within seven days of their school receiving the go ahead to take the course. If a school receives five or more ejections during one school year, that school must also submit a written plan of correction to the OSAA. Typically, that school's AD and coaches from the offending program participate in that.

Sounds like a step in the right direction.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
The Oregon State Activities Assn. (OSAA) announced that any coach ejected from any HS game must complete an online sportsmanship course to be reinstated. An OSAA spokesperson said the purpose was to turn the situation into an "educational setting rather than just punitive".

Currently, ejected coaches are suspended for one game and their school is fined $50. The fines can escalate as ejections pile up. With the new rule, ejected coaches are also required to complete this new course within seven days of their school receiving the go ahead to take the course. If a school receives five or more ejections during one school year, that school must also submit a written plan of correction to the OSAA. Typically, that school's AD and coaches from the offending program participate in that.

Sounds like a great program to me! Should definitely be instituted in more areas!

-Josh
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

What happens to coaches that can't pass the online course? They should add that they have to pass the same rules test we do in order to officiate--but I guess that would mean eventually there wouldn't be any more coaches since most don't even know half the rules!!
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
What happens to coaches that can't pass the online course? They should add that they have to pass the same rules test we do in order to officiate--but I guess that would mean eventually there wouldn't be any more coaches since most don't even know half the rules!!
Head coaches in Missouri have to take the Part I and Part II tests. Unfortunately, they don't actually look up the answers. They pass the answers around and fill them out without actually reading the questions.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 12:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Sounds like the sportsmanship equivalent to anger management classes to me.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 08:04am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Currently, ejected coaches are suspended for one game and their school is fined $50...

I believe the fine in VA is around $500. I love the idea of a quiz. They should make it 2 part, 1/2 sportsmanship, 1/2 rules.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Head coaches in Missouri have to take the Part I and Part II tests. Unfortunately, they don't actually look up the answers. They pass the answers around and fill them out without actually reading the questions.

It's a good thing officials don't do that.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's a good thing officials don't do that.
Yes, a very good thing.

With Part II around here, a lot of officials do that. I always take the Part II just like the Part I just to see how well I can do without having the answers fed to me.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 08:59am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yes, a very good thing.

With Part II around here, a lot of officials do that. I always take the Part II just like the Part I just to see how well I can do without having the answers fed to me.
As if they aren't already fed to us by rulebook we're allowed to reference during the test.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
As if they aren't already fed to us by rulebook we're allowed to reference during the test.
True, but at least you're looking them up rather than just filling them in in five minutes without looking at a single question.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 09:07am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
True, but at least you're looking them up rather than just filling them in in five minutes without looking at a single question.
For me, it would just take longer if someone was feeding me answers, b/c I would still want to look up the answer in the rulebook. I would probably have to go back and change a few of those answers.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

MA has been doing the same thing for a while now. If a coach gets ejected in any sport he has to go to the state athletic association (which is in the middle of nowhere) and take a sportsmanship class.

As a coach myself the thought of driving 1 1/2 hrs to take a 4 hr class is enough to keep me minding my p's and q's.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 12:31pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
How Big a Problem is This?

While I haven't reffed nearly as long as some folks here who have stated they've been doing it for 20 and/or 30 yrs, I'm just curious, how many coaches have you, your partner, or those in your Association ejected?

I've never ejected a coach, seen one ejected, or even heard of it? Big problem? Small problem? Larger issue for different parts of the country?

Just curious.
Thanks
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

I've never had to eject a coach from a high school game, but I've ejected two coaches from youth leagues that I ref. One was an 8th grade travel team coach and the other was 6th grade. 2 in just about 10 years of officiating is pretty low I think, but I'd be interested to hear from others.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2009, 01:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
While I haven't reffed nearly as long as some folks here who have stated they've been doing it for 20 and/or 30 yrs, I'm just curious, how many coaches have you, your partner, or those in your Association ejected?

I've never ejected a coach, seen one ejected, or even heard of it? Big problem? Small problem? Larger issue for different parts of the country?

Just curious.
Thanks
I've ejected 2 HS coaches in 8 seasons of officiating. First time I gave the coach both T's back-to-back. Second occurrence the coach had received a T early in the game from one of my partners and I had to stick him in the last minute of the game.

Over the last few years I think my HS association averages maybe 2-3 ejections a season. The $500 fine is a great deterrent.