The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 10:07am

I was at a baseball gathering last night and was told that the body that governs Michigan High School athletics has informed all of their coaches that they will be required to take the NFHS Part 1 exam in their sport. He claims to have read it in a sports publication somewhere. Has anyone seen this or knows firsthand? It seems like a logical extension of the commitment to sportsmanship they espouse.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
I was at a baseball gathering last night and was told that the body that governs Michigan High School athletics has informed all of their coaches that they will be required to take the NFHS Part 1 exam in their sport. He claims to have read it in a sports publication somewhere. Has anyone seen this or knows firsthand? It seems like a logical extension of the commitment to sportsmanship they espouse.
It's in RefMag. As I recall the article, it's only required if the coach doesn't attend a rules meeting.

If the coach doesn't attend the rules meeting and doesn't take the test, then he can't coach the team in the post-season.

Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 11:40am

We can only pray that Anthony is reading this.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

North Dakota requires all coaches in all varsity sports to take part I of the rules test for their sport. If they don't take the test the school gets fined.

Forgot that they also have to attend the first rules meeting of the year. They have to do both, they can't pick either or.

[Edited by gsf23 on Oct 26th, 2004 at 11:33 AM]
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 03:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
It's in RefMag. As I recall the article, it's only required if the coach doesn't attend a rules meeting.

If the coach doesn't attend the rules meeting and doesn't take the test, then he can't coach the team in the post-season.

YU.P.

http://www.mhsaa.com/administration/0405rules.html
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 03:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Anthony can read this all he likes. He has little say in this matter. This is an issue for the IHSA Advisory Committee and the other committees to agree to. He can bring it up or make it an issue, but the issue has to go to a vote with the ADs and Principals.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 03:56pm

...cue the harpist for dream music.

SCENE: Any HS Baseball Field in America

...ACTION

Coach: W-H-A-T??? YouÂ’ve got to be kidding me. There is no way that you are going to eject him.

Umpire: You canÂ’t run the same kid for the pitcher and catcher, coach. I told you that last game. Now, whoÂ’s going in to run?

Coach: No one else calls that! I donÂ’t think itÂ’s even a rule.

Umpire: I knew youÂ’d say that afer last weekÂ’s game, so I checked online and saw that your Part 1 score was a 62. I got a 99...again. I didnÂ’t see you at the rule interp, either, so I figure IÂ’m on pretty solid ground here. Who are you putting in, coach?

Coach: Wait a minute...every year I get one kid from the track team and suit him up. You mean, I canÂ’t do that anymore? Where does it say that?

Umpire: IÂ’ll show you after the game. Now...who are you going to put in to run for the pitcher?

Coach: Can I have the guy who made the last out?

Umpire: Yes...but we are going to make your batter call his field from now on. And we will play pitcherÂ’s hand out, okay?

Coach: Are you mocking me?

FADE TO BLACK
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 04:39pm

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Anthony can read this all he likes. He has little say in this matter. This is an issue for the IHSA Advisory Committee and the other committees to agree to. He can bring it up or make it an issue, but the issue has to go to a vote with the ADs and Principals.

Peace
I met with Anthony last night. We discussed this very thing. He said that he will look into this, but is worried that some coaches will balk at being told what to do. (The IHSA still believes that they work for the schools and not the student/athletes. Policy has long been dictated by the establishment and when the IHSA rocks the boat, it often makes the nightly news.) He is very interested in the potential. Since he works 15 feet away from Dave Gannaway, it's a pretty good bet that the Officials Advisory Committee will be aprised.

Anthony gave the keynote address at the UMPS annual banquet and made a point of praising the crew working the ALCS. He said that the goal of every Illinois High School umpire should be to do whatever is necessary to get the call right. I almost fell out of my chair! The guys at my table started chuckling because they have been reading the happenings here. He said that he was going to ask his clinicians to promote this way of thought and encourage everyone to start thinking the same.

Anthony is well aware of what it takes to make baseball thrive in our state. If the baseball advisor runs contrary to what Anthony wants, the rest of his term will probably be a little bit bumpy. Officials usually stick together and there is no real reason why they would not support this cause. The ADs are the bigger problem. They fight daily budget battles and will probably get an earful from teh union about whether of not the coach will be reimbursed for travel to the Rule Interp or clinic. The Part 1 can be taken online, so they can't argue that.

I just can't believe that every official doesn't think that this is a good idea. It can only make the game better.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 07:27pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I just can't believe that every official doesn't think that this is a good idea. It can only make the game better.
Be aware of the coach who falls into the category that a little bit of knowledge is dangerous.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:

Anthony gave the keynote address at the UMPS annual banquet...
What is UMPS and who is Anthony?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
Anthony is Anothy Holman Assistant Executive director for the Illoinis High School association. His duties include overseeing the administartion of high School baseball in IL
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 11:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Anthony gave the keynote address at the UMPS annual banquet and made a point of praising the crew working the ALCS. He said that the goal of every Illinois High School umpire should be to do whatever is necessary to get the call right. I almost fell out of my chair! The guys at my table started chuckling because they have been reading the happenings here. He said that he was going to ask his clinicians to promote this way of thought and encourage everyone to start thinking the same.
Why would that shock you? What else is he going to say, do not do that? That would be almost like saying, "we want consistency." Of course you do, but how you achieve that is another story.

Quote:
Anthony is well aware of what it takes to make baseball thrive in our state. If the baseball advisor runs contrary to what Anthony wants, the rest of his term will probably be a little bit bumpy. Officials usually stick together and there is no real reason why they would not support this cause. The ADs are the bigger problem. They fight daily budget battles and will probably get an earful from teh union about whether of not the coach will be reimbursed for travel to the Rule Interp or clinic. The Part 1 can be taken online, so they can't argue that.

My statement was not about whether the officials want something like that implemented. Officials suggest a lot of things and it never gets passed because the ADs and Principal committees do not pass things. Or they table the issue for years.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Part I test for all coaches

I am a baseball/softball umpire in Michigan and our association makes all take part 1 at our AGM- even the old fogies like me who have been doing it 20 some odd years. I think it would be great for Michigan to make the coaches take the part 1 exam each year.

I also referee soccer in Michigan and Indiana (one of the perks of living on the border)and in order to referee in the Indiana post season tournament I have to take part II and pass with 90% or better to be in the referee pool. Don't know about baseball/softball as I do not umpire in Indiana (can't get out of work in time for the DHs).

In general I think that if you have an objective standard like the part I or part II tests, and have coaches and officials take them, the sport improves.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 09:20am

To my Michigan Baseball Brethren,

Thank you for verifying what was only a rumor a few days ago. I applaud any action that makes the coaches accountable. We make teachers prove their mastery of the subject before they can profess; coaches are instructors, too.

I take issue with Mr. Mills' statement that the average umpire would suffer if the coaches were made to attend rule interps and take the Part 1 test. Sports is about skill and tactics. A knowledgeable coach always has the advantage. Are you concerbed that an inept official may meet up with a studied coach? That is shameful - put the onus on the one getting paid to administrate the game, not lower the bar to make things equal. In a world full of lawyers, I want the police officer to be as learned of the law. Afterall, he is the one enforcing the rules!

High School athletics is predicated on participation, sportsmanship and safety. The coach is the teacher and the official is the administrator. We simply insure that what he is teaching is legitimate and fair. After all, how many times have we heard, "What? That's not a balk. We've taught him that for three years."

In my opinion, an informed coach is not dangerous, but, an uninformed umpire is.

[Edited by WindyCityBlue on Oct 26th, 2004 at 11:33 AM]
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

This is for any of the coaches , or parents, out there who read this board.

It still boggles my mind how many coaches don't pick up a rule book. I started out as a softball/baseball umpire. I have since moved on to coaching those sports as well as football and basketball.

One of the first things I do every year is get the rulebook from the High School Association and read it cover to cover. I attend rules meetings and have even been to a few officials meetings just to get a better understanding of the rules and the interpretations the officials in my area are using.

I cannot begin to count the number of games in the last 12 years that we have won or had a chance to win because my coaching staff and myself knew what the rules were. A coach who is well-versed in the rules of the game has a tremendous advantage over a coach who isn't.