Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 18, 2009, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace View Post
32 million dollar referee budget?

That averages about to 561k per offcial. Granted the 32 million includes travel expenses, per diems, etc. Even still if you take the 57 guys and pay em all 200k a year thats only 11 million dollars. I'm thinking some NBA officials are making more bank than we think
Salaries are only a portion of expenses paid by any organization to employees. Benefits cost the NBA as well. Plus travel expenses. And equipment for officials, including all of the stuff they do online with video review. Add on to that the employees that evaluate and support the officials for things like HR and travel.

And also, others have stated that some make 300k-400k. Add to that playoff pay.

I'm sure I still missed dozens of expenses.

That budget doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
Old Fri Sep 18, 2009, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Who are some of the people on the short list to work the games if they go are locked out.
Old Fri Sep 18, 2009, 10:43am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace View Post
I'm thinking some NBA officials are making more bank than we think
How much did you think? The rookie salary is more than $100k.

One of the things the league wants is to squeeze out some of the officials who make the most money. You could pay 4 officials for what some of the old guys make alone.
Old Fri Sep 18, 2009, 03:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddoc08 View Post
Who are some of the people on the short list to work the games if they go are locked out.
Check the D-League and WNBA rosters, that'll give you a good portion of the names right there.
Old Fri Sep 18, 2009, 04:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

I think they should have the coaches ref. That'll teach 'em.

Old Fri Sep 18, 2009, 07:07pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
On PTI today Tony K and Bob Ryan talked about the situation. They reported Shaq said the NBA needs to pay the refs and the players were afraid someone might get "hurt" with inexperienced refs. The guys proceeded to talk about how GOOD NBA refs are - yeah, the refs get criticism and blow a call every now and again. But, overall, they're the best in the business and do a great job!

Then of course a GEICO commercial came on with a caveman dressed as a football ref - nice!
Old Fri Sep 18, 2009, 08:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

The Associated Press released a story today that replacement refs are starting to be trained next week in New Jersey. It said the NBA has been interviewing for over a week. Apparently, first year officials make about $150,000 and long time veterans around $550,000 annually. Apparently, the two sides were fine with salaries but not with pensions and severance plans. Currently, referees receive a retirement bonus of up to $550,000 on top of pension benefits that can reach as high at $2,000,000. Also, the league wanted to tighten up travel allowances and per diems.

Heck - I'd do that job for half of that.
Old Sat Sep 19, 2009, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One of the things the league wants is to squeeze out some of the officials who make the most money
I can't say for sure, because I'm not anywhere near knowledgeable about the facts here, but I'd bet a lot that this is not true. Why not? The league can get rid of whoever it wants. It isn't that difficult even with the union. Why have a lockout over a few guys?

This is about money. They don't want to slash other areas and aren't getting the revenue going forward they expected.
Old Sat Sep 19, 2009, 12:44am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
How much did you think? The rookie salary is more than $100k.

One of the things
the league wants is to squeeze out some of the officials who make the most money. You could pay 4 officials for what some of the old guys make alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I can't say for sure, because I'm not anywhere near knowledgeable about the facts here, but I'd bet a lot that this is not true. Why not? The league can get rid of whoever it wants. It isn't that difficult even with the union. Why have a lockout over a few guys?

This is about money. They don't want to slash other areas and aren't getting the revenue going forward they expected.
We don't really even need to talk about this do we? I said "one of the things" not the only thing. Officials like Dick Bevetta (sp?) and Bennett Salvatore make a lot of money now and stand to make A LOT more whenever they decide to retire. Read the articles online and they mention the lump sum payment they (it didn't say them specifically) will get when they retire, plus their pension. Sure they can get rid of them. That would be called retirement because they have their years in and as it stands right now the amount of money they would make is one of the hang ups to get a new deal done.

You still want to make that bet?
Old Sat Sep 19, 2009, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Count me in

let me have one of those NBA scab jobs, I'll take it after all. I mean, look at the advantages: I get to make good money, but I didn't have to risk anything to get it! And so what if by acting as a replacement I will undermine the people who follow me -- I'm getting mine and that's all that matters! My big break!! I couldnt compete with the guys who I'm replacing, but tweet, tweet, they're out and I'm in. There is nothing wrong with taking advantage of the gains made by people who are out on the street. This is America, it's a free country! It's my right to take advantage of each and every situation so that I personally benefit. I've seen the light.
Old Sat Sep 19, 2009, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Every athletic official has or had the chance to become an NBA or any other professional sports official. There is a proper way for an amateur to get the chance to call an NBA game or any other type professional game. If for some reason a crew does not make it to the game, there are amateur backup officials on call in case of emergency. Get on that list. Otherwise, do the same things the current professional officials did to become a professional official.

All officials, both amateur and professional are thought of as just another expense of doing business. They think that any John Doe off the street can call a game, and should do it for free, and should be thankful just for being given the privilege of calling that amateur or professional game and walking on the court, field, etc. with all the players, coaches, and front office in front of all those fans. They think the honor of hobnobbing and rubbing shoulders with the professional/amateur game is enough pay in itself.

Any of the amateurs who cross the line to work these games, just belittles officials everywhere, both amateur and professional who say that anyone can do that job. Let them try. Let the NBA go grab people off the street to work these games since they feel anyone can do the job. Let the NBA work out a new contract with their own officials, and let the amateurs continue to work and do the exceptional job they do in their leagues, at their level of expertise. Anyone crossing the line is just making an excuse to do so and once again bringing all officials at all levels down.

Last edited by tballump; Sat Sep 19, 2009 at 06:16pm.
Old Sat Sep 19, 2009, 07:00pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
Every athletic official has or had the chance to become an NBA or any other professional sports official. There is a proper way for an amateur to get the chance to call an NBA game or any other type professional game. If for some reason a crew does not make it to the game, there are amateur backup officials on call in case of emergency. Get on that list. Otherwise, do the same things the current professional officials did to become a professional official.

All officials, both amateur and professional are thought of as just another expense of doing business. They think that any John Doe off the street can call a game, and should do it for free, and should be thankful just for being given the privilege of calling that amateur or professional game and walking on the court, field, etc. with all the players, coaches, and front office in front of all those fans. They think the honor of hobnobbing and rubbing shoulders with the professional/amateur game is enough pay in itself.

Any of the amateurs who cross the line to work these games, just belittles officials everywhere, both amateur and professional who say that anyone can do that job. Let them try. Let the NBA go grab people off the street to work these games since they feel anyone can do the job. Let the NBA work out a new contract with their own officials, and let the amateurs continue to work and do the exceptional job they do in their leagues, at their level of expertise. Anyone crossing the line is just making an excuse to do so and once again bringing all officials at all levels down.
My response to this would be: do you know and/or like any officials in the NBA? If so, there is a chance that an official you like was once a scab since several of them worked during the last strike/lockout.

A large portion of the officials who will be used are in the d-league and WNBA. They are already professional officials.
Old Sat Sep 19, 2009, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Yes I do, and no he didn't.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 03:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post

A large portion of the officials who will be used are in the d-league and WNBA. They are already professional officials.
Spoke to a buddy from the D-League this weekend. He is scheduled to work pre-season games.