Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 11:17am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
What does David Stern make per day?
Whatever it is, I bet is way less than even the lowliest bench rookie on the cheapest paying team.
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 12:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Richer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Whatever it is, I bet is way less than even the lowliest bench rookie on the cheapest paying team.
You would lose the bet.

Randolph Morris, the lowest paid player, on the Atlanta Hawks, the cheapest paying team, will make $855,189 in 2009-10. The NBA minimum for a rookie in 2009-10 is $457,588, for a player with one year's experience, $736,420.

In 1996, David Stern received a five-year deal worth $35 million. I can't find his salary for his most recent contract.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 12:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Hmm. What are the odds that Stern makes less than $400,000 per year?

Just a quick google search shows reports, unverified, that he's in the 5-10 million range.
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 06:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Just think - Stern makes that much and he can't even dunk. Plus - his lifetime scoring average is 0 ppg.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Exactly.

So they take a NBA game over a game that will pay them more AND they could lose the next NBA game at any time if a new contract is signed AND it could piss their college assigner off in the process AND coach "X" is pissed because he has a $million riding on each victory without his "big dog" refs on the game.

It isn't likely.
The biggest "win" in this situation for the college officials is the chance to get picked up full time. Because working full time in the NBA beats D1 (at least with pay, benefits and schedule... you can debate the quality of basketball), so if these guys take a few games and impress some people, they might get the call-up. That is why some of these guys might take these games, particularly younger officials.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Never cross a line.

The biggest "win" for any college official is to have the integrity to refuse to work as a replacement during a strike.

I find the eagerness with which some would work NBA games during a lockout or strike to be repulsive. The replacement officials would be paid well, and on a scale negotiated by the union through collective bargaining. The pay was set at the bargaining table, where the employees' only leverage is the right to strike. Now, because they're using that leverage, you'd undercut the very tool that allowed you to be paid the wage you'd make as a replacemente official?

There is nothing as despicable as a scab.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
The replacement officials would be paid well,
That's not true... see above.

Quote:
The pay was set at the bargaining table, where the employees' only leverage is the right to strike.
How do you know this? Perhaps my knowledge of labor unions isn't up to speed, but for someone who doesn't join the union (i.e. a replacement), it doesn't compute in my head that they would be bound to the union rules.

And finally, the officials are locked out; this is not a strike.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 01:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Not even a child molester? OOPS! Wrong thread.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The biggest "win" for any college official is to have the integrity to refuse to work as a replacement during a strike.

I find the eagerness with which some would work NBA games during a lockout or strike to be repulsive. The replacement officials would be paid well, and on a scale negotiated by the union through collective bargaining. The pay was set at the bargaining table, where the employees' only leverage is the right to strike. Now, because they're using that leverage, you'd undercut the very tool that allowed you to be paid the wage you'd make as a replacemente official?

For someone who has such a strong opinion, I find it amusing that you have no clue about the situation. No one is striking. It is a lockout.

Plus, that type of attitude is, for the most part, why GM and Chrysler are where they are today. Do you really think that is where you want all US companies? You can strike and fight for higher wages for a couple of years until the company essentially goes bankrupt and shuts down the plant and moves it to a place where unions don't strongarm the company for wages higher than the work is worth.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

I'd request that all refrain from any "labor v. management" discussion. We've been down that road before and it doesn't end well.

If you want to discuss it, take it somewhere else.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2009, 02:02pm
Archaic Power Monger

Sorry bob. I removed my post.
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 02:58pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
The biggest "win" in this situation for the college officials is the chance to get picked up full time. Because working full time in the NBA beats D1 (at least with pay, benefits and schedule... you can debate the quality of basketball), so if these guys take a few games and impress some people, they might get the call-up. That is why some of these guys might take these games, particularly younger officials.
You have well established D1 officials and younger D1 officials still on the rise.

An established D1 official would more be taking a pay cut as a rookie NBA official. They would essentially start over because NBA players just don't care about what they (the officials) did at the NCAA level. Plus, that veteran official might not take too kindly to Baron Davis cussing him out - I speak from experience (I didn't realize how much of a cry baby Baron was). There is also their primary jobs to think about. If a veteran official is close to retiring from their primary job and moving to the NBA would be a pay cut, where is the positive for them?

A up and coming D1 official likely has a different set of circumstances. First, there is no guarantees with this labor deal from day to day so they could be flying high - and to Atlanta for a game - one day and calling up their college assigner the next. It wouldn't be as easy for a young official to get those games back as it would a veteran official. Also, the job situation could prevent a younger official from taking the plunge.

Now, I have a friend who is destined for the NBA as of right now. He is going to be doing some D1 this year, but his goal is to go to the NBA and he has been working in the D-league for a couple of years. He has his own business so his day job isn't an issue - I've been joking (but serious) with him lately about becoming his partner because he isn't going to have time to run his business. For him the D1 stuff is gravy. I know another guy on the east coast who is rising fast in D1 and the D-league is gravy. Two different guys with two different issues to consider.

Once all those decisions are made then the fallout begins - and I would love to have stock in a phone company. Lower level games will have to be filled, but there is one snag. A deal could be signed at any time and things will have to be undone.

Shoot, an agreement could have been reached while I took the time to type all this out.
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 05:00am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Update....

Referees reject proposal, still hopeful of deal - NBA - SI.com
Old Thu Sep 17, 2009, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Refs lockout 'imminent and unavoidable'

Sheridan: Spokesman for NBA referees says lockout 'imminent' - ESPN
Old Fri Sep 18, 2009, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
32 million dollar referee budget?

That averages about to 561k per offcial. Granted the 32 million includes travel expenses, per diems, etc. Even still if you take the 57 guys and pay em all 200k a year thats only 11 million dollars. I'm thinking some NBA officials are making more bank than we think