View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 19, 2009, 12:44am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
How much did you think? The rookie salary is more than $100k.

One of the things
the league wants is to squeeze out some of the officials who make the most money. You could pay 4 officials for what some of the old guys make alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I can't say for sure, because I'm not anywhere near knowledgeable about the facts here, but I'd bet a lot that this is not true. Why not? The league can get rid of whoever it wants. It isn't that difficult even with the union. Why have a lockout over a few guys?

This is about money. They don't want to slash other areas and aren't getting the revenue going forward they expected.
We don't really even need to talk about this do we? I said "one of the things" not the only thing. Officials like Dick Bevetta (sp?) and Bennett Salvatore make a lot of money now and stand to make A LOT more whenever they decide to retire. Read the articles online and they mention the lump sum payment they (it didn't say them specifically) will get when they retire, plus their pension. Sure they can get rid of them. That would be called retirement because they have their years in and as it stands right now the amount of money they would make is one of the hang ups to get a new deal done.

You still want to make that bet?