View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 16, 2009, 02:58pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseltser View Post
The biggest "win" in this situation for the college officials is the chance to get picked up full time. Because working full time in the NBA beats D1 (at least with pay, benefits and schedule... you can debate the quality of basketball), so if these guys take a few games and impress some people, they might get the call-up. That is why some of these guys might take these games, particularly younger officials.
You have well established D1 officials and younger D1 officials still on the rise.

An established D1 official would more be taking a pay cut as a rookie NBA official. They would essentially start over because NBA players just don't care about what they (the officials) did at the NCAA level. Plus, that veteran official might not take too kindly to Baron Davis cussing him out - I speak from experience (I didn't realize how much of a cry baby Baron was). There is also their primary jobs to think about. If a veteran official is close to retiring from their primary job and moving to the NBA would be a pay cut, where is the positive for them?

A up and coming D1 official likely has a different set of circumstances. First, there is no guarantees with this labor deal from day to day so they could be flying high - and to Atlanta for a game - one day and calling up their college assigner the next. It wouldn't be as easy for a young official to get those games back as it would a veteran official. Also, the job situation could prevent a younger official from taking the plunge.

Now, I have a friend who is destined for the NBA as of right now. He is going to be doing some D1 this year, but his goal is to go to the NBA and he has been working in the D-league for a couple of years. He has his own business so his day job isn't an issue - I've been joking (but serious) with him lately about becoming his partner because he isn't going to have time to run his business. For him the D1 stuff is gravy. I know another guy on the east coast who is rising fast in D1 and the D-league is gravy. Two different guys with two different issues to consider.

Once all those decisions are made then the fallout begins - and I would love to have stock in a phone company. Lower level games will have to be filled, but there is one snag. A deal could be signed at any time and things will have to be undone.

Shoot, an agreement could have been reached while I took the time to type all this out.