The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

The player has already dribbled stopped an then started another dribble when the ball hit the opponents back board.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAULK1
The player has already dribbled stopped an then started another dribble when the ball hit the opponents back board.
My point is that it is not a double dribble when the ball strikes the opponents backboard. It would only be an illegal dribble if/when he retrieved the ball after it hit said backboard. You keep insinuating that as soon as it strikes the backboard some sort of violation has occurred and that is not the case.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

as soon as the ball strikes the opponents backboard a dribble has started I don't have my case book with me but
this case is covered....
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAULK1
as soon as the ball strikes the opponents backboard a dribble has started I don't have my case book with me but
this case is covered....
4.15.4C "Throwing the ball against the opponent's backboard or an official constitues another dribble, provided A1 is the first to touch the ball ..."

The rule makes it clear that the ball touching the backboard is the same as the ball touching the floor -- until someone touches it, we don't know if it's a pass (someone else touches it) or a dribble (A1 touches it).
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Thank you, Bob.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the additional info as I said before I don't have my books here and I was doing that long stitch from memory so I will amend my list to:

If the player dribbled prior to the release and:

1. The ball hits the opponents backboard and is the first to touch = Illegal dribble

Good catch......
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I don't understand. The only time this would happen is if they lined up wrong or somebody got confused or too excited, correct? These are two different situations handled differently?
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Stan, if the rule wasn't in place, A could gain an advantage by throwing the ball off B's backboard. Let's say A1 is in his backboard dribbling and picks up his dribble. He's being pressured by B1 and can't make a pass. A1 throws the ball off B's backboard, catches it, and starts dribbling again. But with the rule, it's a double dribble as soon as he touches the rebounding ball.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Stan, if the rule wasn't in place, A could gain an advantage by throwing the ball off B's backboard. Let's say A1 is in his backboard dribbling and picks up his dribble. He's being pressured by B1 and can't make a pass. A1 throws the ball off B's backboard, catches it, and starts dribbling again. But with the rule, it's a double dribble as soon as he touches the rebounding ball.
Thanks BktBallRef, that clears it right up for me. Probably don't see that very often but a quick thinking kid might believe he came up with something new! Stan
Old Fri Jul 19, 2002, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

This Actually Happened

I actually had a similar sitch occur several years ago in a JV game. A1, on defense at the beginning of the second half, rebounded B1's shot, then apparently forgot which basket was his. A1 put up a "shot" at the wrong basket, and was fouled by B1 as he "shot." The ball went in the basket. Although my partner and I kicked the call, we looked it up after the game, and here's what we should have called.

Because A1 "shot" at the wrong basket, it is officially not a try. Because it wasn't a try, the foul by B1 wasn't in the act of shooting, and therefore, should have stopped the play immediately. Assess the foul to B1, wipe off any points, and give the ball to A1 out of bounds since it was a common foul.
Old Fri Jul 19, 2002, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Actually saw an off the backboard play a few years ago. Seemed to catch everyone off gurad. Player gets a defensive rebound, starts to dribble as everyone heads downcourt. He picks up his dribble, but no one around to pass to. He threw the ball off the backboard and dribbled down the court. There was no call, and at the time I had never seen this before and did not know the rule. After reading this board for some time, have learned a lot of rules for situations that do not come up ofter, as well as many common ones.