The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

admitting to a coach you made a mistake

I have general question about dealing with coaches. If you admit to a coach that you have made a mistake on a call or no call, he responds by saying that that mistake is in a critical time of the game and he yells at you very loudly to show you up. How do you respond to that or do you respond at all.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

whack!!!!
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Definitely a HTBT situation. You have to know when or if you should admit a mistake to a coach. If he is being boisterous and making a scene you have to know when to draw the line. If he crosses the line, he has earned a technical.

-Josh
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 06:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Communication with coaches

General Techniques:
If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps once a game.

Specific Communication Examples: Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
“You might be right; I may not have had the best angle on that play.”

Source: Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
General Techniques:
If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps once a game.

Specific Communication Examples: Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
“You might be right; I may not have had the best angle on that play.”

Source: Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association
For the record, "you might be right" is not admitting a mistake.

"You're right, coach. I missed that call" is admitting a mistake.

It's dumb to teach someone they should admit their mistake and then teach them how to get around admitting it.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 11:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

The only time you should admit a mistake is when the mistake is obvious or a clear rules violation. If it is simply a judgment call and it was close, you should not have to admit a mistake. If you are constantly admitting to mistakes, then something has to change.

It is hard to tell in this situation if a T was warranted. It would really depend on who you are talking and how they are talking to you. I can see how this could lead to a T, but it is not automatic by any means. Most coaches should realize you messed up and move on. If they do not, then you have to take care of business or walk away. Then that coach would never get my ear again if they cannot be professional.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

I've found a little trick over the years of officiating. If the coach is upset with the call, you know you've blew it, and it's not a good time to admit to that mistake directly...Take a round about approach.

Back up to the coach (as he is, I'm sure "talking" with you) and ask him, "Coach/Bill/etc..., what did you see on that play?" You've put him in the position to vent and it probably seems to him that he is getting somewhere. "I saw something a little different; however, you may be right. I'll work the angles better to see it next time."

I've always received position feedback from coaches. Never has a coach exploded with the situation and everyone tends to end up "happy"

-Josh
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 07:23am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
"I saw something a little different; however, you may be right. I'll work the angles better to see it next time."
-Josh
What if you had a good angle and saw the play correctly? If you know you missed a call, what is wrong with cutting to the chase and saying so?

I don't like "I'll work the angles better to see it next time" just like I don't like a pregame saying something like "We are going to work hard for you."

Just my opinion.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The only time you should admit a mistake is when the mistake is obvious or a clear rules violation. If it is simply a judgment call and it was close, you should not have to admit a mistake.
I agree with this.

In my second year, I was working a JV game. A1 went up for a shot, B1 get his hand on the ball, and A1 came down with it. Tweet! "Travel!" Damn, I knew it was wrong instantly.

The coach wasn't happy, and as I came up the floor on the table side, I heard him shouting "That was a jump ball! That was a jump ball!" I looked at him, tapped my chest to signal "my bad," and said "you're right, coach."

He look flummoxed for a moment, and then said, "uh, thank you." Not a peep for the rest of the night.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 08:07am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I agree with this.

In my second year, I was working a JV game. A1 went up for a shot, B1 get his hand on the ball, and A1 came down with it. Tweet! "Travel!" Damn, I knew it was wrong instantly.

If you knew instantly, why not change the call? Some may say once the signal is made it is too late, but as you describe the play I say making a quick change is certainly more acceptable than letting a call stand that you and everybody else know is wrong.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sing19702000 View Post
I have general question about dealing with coaches. If you admit to a coach that you have made a mistake on a call or no call, he responds by saying that that mistake is in a critical time of the game and he yells at you very loudly to show you up. How do you respond to that or do you respond at all.
"You think I missed it on purpose? (or you think I am happy about it) That is the last thing you say to me tonight." Anything further from him is a T.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 09:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If done at the right time and rarely, it can work well. "Coach, I'm sure you're right but I got straight lined."

IMO, it works best for no-calls.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If you knew instantly, why not change the call? Some may say once the signal is made it is too late, but as you describe the play I say making a quick change is certainly more acceptable than letting a call stand that you and everybody else know is wrong.
Is this called a teachable moment? I am absolutely certain that the mbryon of today would do such.
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 10:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
No one here would say the initial signal makes it too late, JAR. This is not the blarge discussion, which is the only time a preliminary signal is binding. Strawmen do burn rather quickly, though, don't they?
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 10:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Is this called a teachable moment? I am absolutely certain that the mbryon of today would do such.
I would assume so.