The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 06:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Even if he's shooting at the wrong basket?
Billy, the way the post was worded made me think the foul affected the shot direction. You'd have to judge the player's intent.
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 09:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Billy, the way the post was worded made me think the foul affected the shot direction. You'd have to judge the player's intent.
Wow, a 60ft change in direction!!!
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 09:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

One And One, Or Three Shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You'd have to judge the player's intent.
His intent was very simple, to shoot the ball into his own basket before he want out of bounds, and before the buzzer sounded. That was his intent, however, in making such an athletic save, and contorting himself to spin around, he inadvertently (he wasn't confused as in the case play) shot the ball toward the wrong basket. Note that to make the play less confusing, I edited my post to show that the shooter was fouled after the release of the ball, but before he returned to the floor, so the direction of the shot was not affected by the foul by B1, yet, per rule, A1 was still in the act of shooting.

What's the theoretical call? Really. It's the off-season and I need my interpretation fix.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 26, 2009 at 09:50am.
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 11:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
His intent was very simple, to shoot the ball into his own basket before he want out of bounds, and before the buzzer sounded. That was his intent, however, in making such an athletic save, and contorting himself to spin around, he inadvertently (he wasn't confused as in the case play) shot the ball toward the wrong basket. Note that to make the play less confusing, I edited my post to show that the shooter was fouled after the release of the ball, but before he returned to the floor, so the direction of the shot was not affected by the foul by B1, yet, per rule, A1 was still in the act of shooting.

What's the theoretical call? Really. It's the off-season and I need my interpretation fix.
Every player who shoots at the wrong basket does so thinking it's the correct basket. Common foul if it's obvious his intent was to shoot toward the opponent's basket.
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

if A1 throws the ball at Team Bs basket from behind the 3-point line and it goes in ... this only counts as two points correct?
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 12:47am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
if A1 throws the ball at Team Bs basket from behind the 3-point line and it goes in ... this only counts as two points correct?

correct

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 06:04pm
Administrator

Quote:
Team A is down three points with just a few seconds left in the game. A1 is chasing a loose ball at the division line. The ball is about to go out of bounds, at the division line, right in front of the table. A1, in a race with defender B1, is able to catch up to the ball, but does so in such an acrobatic, athletic, and contorted manner, that in spinning around, he is only able to shoot the ball:
a) exactly in line with the division line, with the trajectory of the ball toward opposite the table.
b) at an angle such that the trajectory of the ball is toward the backcourt, and therefore, toward Team B's basket.
In both a), and b), B1 fouls A1 before A1 returns to the floor after A1's shooting motion. The buzzer ending the fourth period sounds while the ball in in the air in both a), and b). In both a), and b), the ball doesn't enter the basket. Both teams are in the bonus.

What's the theoretical call?

Billy:

My rulings are not theoritical. We are going to shoot three free throws in both (a) and (b). There is no reason to think that A1 is doing anything but attempting a three-point field goal attempt.

A number of years ago, in a boys' H.S. game, I had to throw the Home AD out of our dressing room because: With time running out in the first quarter, H1 attempts a field goal that bounds off the rim in the far quarter. V1 runs the ball down and starts to fling the ball toward V's basket from about 80 feet away. Just before he releases the ball H2 hacks him across his throwing arm and then the buzzer sounded. V1 shoots three free throws to end the first quarter. The Home-HC wasn't happy about the award of free throws until I gave him an explaination of the rule. The only problem the Home-AD didn't like my call and thought he had the right to burst in to the officials' dressing room at half-time. I took great pleasure in writing a game report about his conduct because he was a MichiganHSAA registered Track/Field official.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 08:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The only problem the Home-AD didn't like my call and thought he had the right to burst in to the officials' dressing room at half-time. I took great pleasure in writing a game report about his conduct because he was a MichiganHSAA registered Track/Field official.MTD, Sr.
I hope you did the same to him when he worked a meet and awarded free throws during the shot put competition.