The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Help with a play

We were discussing this play at camp, and I wanted to see what you will say.

A1 shoots a shot behind the 3 point line and the ball is made into Team B's basket. A1 is fouled on the shot by B1. What do you do?
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budjones05 View Post

A1 shoots a shot behind the 3 point line and the ball is made into Team B's basket. A1 is fouled on the shot by B1. What do you do?
cancel the goal, you will award A1 three shots for the foul.

Last edited by truerookie; Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 06:24am.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 07:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
cancel the goal, you will award A1 three shots for the foul.
The part in red is wrong. It's not a shooting foul, so you will only award bonus free throws, if appropriate. If not in the bonus, throwin for team A.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Concur, No basket and no shoots unless A in bonus or foul ruled flagrant or intentional or excessive contact.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 09:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Come on Bud, you know this was an easy one. It was not a try so it would be a common foul.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 10:26am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Concur w/ Snaqs, FB, and BNR.

Case Book play 4.41.2.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 10:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's 7 Up, It's The Uncola ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It was not a try so it would be a common foul.
True. But you have to admit, in layman's terms, not rules-speak, it's a very uncommon foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 10:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

For Coaches And Fanboys With No Casebook ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Case Book play 4.41.2.
4.41.2 SITUATION: A1 becomes confused and throws the ball at the wrong basket. A1 is fouled by B1 and the ball goes into the basket. Is this a successful basket? If A1 missed, would A1 be awarded two free throws for the foul by B1? RULING: No goal. The ball became dead when the foul occurred. When a player throws at the opponent’s basket, it is not a try. If the team is in the bonus when B1 fouled A1, A1 is given either a one-and-one attempt or two free throws at Team A’s basket. If Team A was not in the bonus, then the ball is awarded to Team A for a throw-in at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul. (7-5-4a)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 10:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Will Never Happen, But Worth Theoretical Discussion ???

Team A is down three points with just a few seconds left in the game. A1 is chasing a loose ball at the division line. The ball is about to go out of bounds, at the division line, right in front of the table. A1, in a race with defender B1, is able to catch up to the ball, but does so in such an acrobatic, athletic, and contorted manner, that in spinning around, he is only able to shoot the ball:
a) exactly in line with the division line, with the trajectory of the ball toward opposite the table.
b) at an angle such that the trajectory of the ball is toward the backcourt, and therefore, toward Team B's basket.
In both a), and b), B1 fouls A1 before A1 returns to the floor after A1's shooting motion. The buzzer ending the fourth period sounds while the ball in in the air in both a), and b). In both a), and b), the ball doesn't enter the basket. Both teams are in the bonus.

What's the theoretical call?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 26, 2009 at 09:39am.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Come on Bud, you know this was an easy one. It was not a try so it would be a common foul.

You know I knew it, just wanted to see if you did,
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Fiveum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Team A is down three points with just a few seconds left in the game. A1 is chasing a loose ball at the division line. The ball is about to go out of bounds, at the division line, right in front of the table. A1, in a race with defender B1, is able to catch up to the ball, but does so in such an acrobatic, athletic, and contorted manner, that in spinning around, he is only able to shoot the ball:
a) exactly in line with the division line, with the trajectory of the ball toward opposite the table.
b) at an angle such that the trajectory of the ball is toward the backcourt, and therefore, toward Team B's basket.
In both a), and b), B1 fouls A1 during A1's shooting motion. The buzzer ending the fourth period sounds while the ball in in the air in both a), and b). In both a), and b), the ball doesn't enter the basket. Both teams are in the bonus.

What's the theoretical call?
First of all, according to the description, the foul occurs in both instances before the period ends so the foul will be administered. If, in the opinion of the official, it was a legitimate shot attempt (and the poster uses the term "shooting motion", so by definition it seems there was a shot attempt), three free throws will be taken. However, if, in the opinion of the official, there was not a legitimate shot attempt, then a one and one situation exists and will be administered. Notice the poster said "bonus", not "double bonus".

My guess is the purpose of the post is to start a discussion on whether the decision to determine if a foul was a shooting foul or not is dependent on the action of the ball handler or the subsequent result of the flight and/or action of the ball. It's the action of the ball handler. If they are fouled while performing action that normally leads to the release of a shot, it's a shooting foul. That's pretty basic.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

A1 shoots the bonus, the foul causes the ball to be dead. It's the same thing
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 04:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
A1 shoots the bonus, the foul causes the ball to be dead. It's the same thing
Even if team A isn't in the bonus?
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

If Team A is in the bonus, we shoot the bonus. If Team A is not in the bonus, the ball will given at the spot near where the foul occurs however it's the end of the 4th quarter, team b wins by 3

Last edited by budjones05; Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 05:02pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 05:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Guess ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
My guess is the purpose of the post is to start a discussion on whether the decision to determine if a foul was a shooting foul or not is dependent on the action of the ball handler or the subsequent result of the flight and/or action of the ball. It's the action of the ball handler. If they are fouled while performing action that normally leads to the release of a shot, it's a shooting foul. That's pretty basic.
Even if he's shooting at the wrong basket?