The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mendi Send a message via MSN to mendi Send a message via Skype™ to mendi
A1 jump to shoot, and blocked by B1.

B1 hand stay in touch with the ball all the time till A1 land, A1 land without leaving the ball. they both was in touch with the ball while A1 land.

travelling violation? if not, can A1 dribble again?

and what if A1 is "blocked" by teammate A2?

Last edited by mendi; Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 12:32pm.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Held ball. Go to the arrow.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 01:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball. If, in this situation, the shooter releases the ball, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues. When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor, whether, or not, the defensive player touches the ball in the block attempt.

Also: The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 01:18pm.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 01:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Bet Your House On These Answers ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendi View Post
What if A1 is "blocked" by teammate A2?
Ball not released: Traveling.
Ball released: Play on.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to mendi Send a message via MSN to mendi Send a message via Skype™ to mendi
thanks for answer

The situation with the intentionally released ball is interesting.

But let me to put it more complex:

1) what if a teammate A2 is touching the A1 ball during A1 jump without release it? (in street basketballball it may happend when A2 forgot that A1 is teammate...)
2) what if when B1 block A1 by touching the ball, B1 is walking while touching the ball (now you may split the case if B1 was actually causing to double control or not), and then he release the ball (A1 still in the air), is the ball still live?

Last edited by mendi; Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 01:49pm.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 02:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Don't Need Officials For Streetball, That's Why It's Called Streetball ...

Quote:
1) What if a teammate A2 is touching the A1 ball during A1 jump without release it?
2) What if when B1 block A1 by touching the ball, B1 is walking while touching the ball and then he release the ball (A1 still in the air), is the ball still live?
3) In street basketball it may happened when A2 forgot that A1 is teammate.
1) If A1 shoots (ball released), play on. If A1 does not shoot and returns to the floor, travel. If the shot is blocked by A2, and the ball becomes loose, play on, and I believe that A1 may dribble if he is the first to gain possession of the ball.

2) Touching is not the same as controlling the ball, and thus, having possession. I don't believe that B1 can violate the rules regarding traveling, and/or illegal dribbling, in this situation. Also, remember, regarding live ball/ dead ball: The ball becomes dead when: a goal is made; it is apparent the free throw will not be successful on a free throw which is to be followed by another free throw or a free throw which is to be followed by a throw-in; a held ball occurs, or the ball lodges between the backboard and ring or comes to rest on the flange; a player-control or team-control foul occurs; an official’s whistle is blown with exceptions; time expires for a quarter or extra period, with exceptions; a foul, other than player- or team-control, occurs, with exceptions; a free-throw violation by the throwing team occurs; a violation occurs, with exceptions. Regarding exceptions, the ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when a try or tap for a field goal is in flight, or while a try for a free throw is in flight, or during continuous motion by a player who has started a try or tap for goal (is in the act of shooting) before the foul by an opponent occurred, provided time did not expire before the ball was in flight. So unless one of these happened, the ball is still live.

3) You've got to be kidding me.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 02:22pm.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

About case 2 (A1 jump to shot and B1 come and block)

I was sure that in regular case (no shooting) if A1 and B1 on the floor and have double control(lets say they both hold the ball with two hands), and B1 travelling or going outside of bounds then its held ball, even if 3 seconds didnt passd.

Thus, my question is about the case that A1 is on the air with the ball and B1 come and also hold the ball with both hands and walking (or maybe go outside of bounds while holding) then it is an held ball and thus A1 cannot continue with the shot from the air after B1 release the ball....

Last edited by mendi; Sat Jul 25, 2009 at 05:58pm.
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Jump ball
Old Sat Jul 25, 2009, 05:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Did You Mean To Say ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by budjones05 View Post
Jump ball
Held ball ???

Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Billy

Is there any final decision about the last case i mentioned?
Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 05:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just One Man's Opinion ...

Quote:
Is there any final decision about the last case I mentioned?
Touching is not the same as controlling the ball, and thus, having possession. I don't believe that B1 can violate the rules regarding traveling, and/or illegal dribbling, in this situation.

Old Sun Jul 26, 2009, 05:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Touching is not the same as controlling
Absolutely correct. Just ask my wife.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2009, 06:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Better Late Than Never ...

4.44.3 SITUATION A: A1 jumps to try for goal. B1 also jumps and: (a) slaps the ball out of A1’s hands; (b) touches the ball but does not prevent A1 from releasing the ball; (c) touches the ball and A1 returns to the floor holding the ball; or (d) touches the ball and A1 drops it to the floor and touches it first after it bounces. RULING: In (a) and (b), the ball remains live. In (c), a traveling violation. In (d), a violation for starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor. Since the touching did not prevent the pass or try in (b), (c) and (d), the ball remains live and subsequent action is covered by rules which apply to the situation.

Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 04:13am
Official Forum Member

so there is no held ball situation ?

If A1 jump with the ball without releasing it untill land, and B1 come and touch the ball all the way untill A1 land.
what the rule here?
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 05:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
If A1 jump with the ball without releasing it untill land, and B1 come and touch the ball all the way untill A1 land.
what the rule here?
If B1's touch prevented the release of the ball by A1 - held ball.

If not - travel on A1.

The official must make a judgement about whether B1's touch prevented the release of the ball by A1.