The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Just shoot me now!

During a game a while back, an AD from another school who was watching his daughter play asked me to do a JH game for his school. Said he was stuck and really needed an official. So I agreed to help. I find out later that this school is about 35 - 40 miles from here in the middle of nowhere. You go about 30 miles to the end of the world and then turn and go about 7 more miles past the end of the world. It was supposed to be a 7/8 boys two game set. I called to get directions and the secretary told me to go to the Interstate and go North about 25 miles to a specific exit. Turns out she should have said SOUTH! I call on cell phone and tell them what happens. AD says, "No problem, visiting school is running late." By the time I back tracked I ended up driving about 45 miles too far, I get to the gym early 2nd quarter. I walk into the gym and it is a 4-6 grade game. Score is 14-2. Halftime my rookie partner who is doing about his 3rd game says, "They decided to have a younger game for the kids who've never played and then a 7th-8th game.The coaches told us to call it this way." If we ever work together again I'll explain why we don't let the coaches dictate our calls. Two lousy teams! Both games end up total blowouts. Neither team or coach has a clue! It was the ugliest game I have seen in a long, long time. I'm thinking that I could be doing a HS game or be at home, sitting in my recliner, watching the Colts/Bengals games and rooting against my son the big Benglas fan. I just wanted someone to put me out of my misery!

Last edited by refnrev; Tue Dec 19, 2006 at 09:08am.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2006, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

BANG !

You can take the shot anywhere you want.
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 05:22am
Official Forum Member

You did your good deed for the week.

Don't worry about all the trouble you went through to get there or the poor play or the coaches being clueless or the age of the players. Just focus on the fact that you tried to help some people.

You now know the situation with that school, and if you didn't like the way it went you don't have to return.