The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 02:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
There are senior officials who preach that they will not cal a CG if the play is moving E-W nor will they call Hand Checking when the play is moving E-W.
They consider both of them as 'game interupters'.
And there are senior officials who would call this logic a load of crap.

Jurassic Referee just rolled over in his grave.

Do they ignore CG if the offensive player is standing still? No. Then why ignore if he's retreating even though the defender is doing what's required?

Same goes for hand check, how many hand checks are they letting go because they are successful in steering the dribbler sideways?

Some senior officials I know would call that stupid.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 02:58pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
There are senior officials who preach that they will not cal a CG if the play is moving E-W nor will they call Hand Checking when the play is moving E-W.
They consider both of them as 'game interupters'.
That's odd, I've been to a couple of camps so far this summer that preached hand checks on E-W plays fall under RSBQ & should be an immediate whistle.

On N-S drives to the bucket, they wanted a patient whistle on hand checks to allow the player to finish under the SDF philosophy.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 03:02pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Refner View Post
Maybe I should get some meds from Padgett.
Take the best if he offers you options, otherwise just take what he gives you!
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:32pm
Official Fiveum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
RSBQ.....SDF
OK, guys. Although I'm far from being a rookie, I'm a rookie here. Long version, please. Thanks.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And there are senior officials who would call this logic a load of crap.

Jurassic Referee just rolled over in his grave.

Do they ignore CG if the offensive player is standing still? No. Then why ignore if he's retreating even though the defender is doing what's required?

Same goes for hand check, how many hand checks are they letting go because they are successful in steering the dribbler sideways?

Some senior officials I know would call that stupid.
Hey... don't shoot me. It is not my stichk. I try to discuss this in pregame and if that is what they want to do, then I go with the flow.
It's not a battle that is worth fighting.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, guys. Although I'm far from being a rookie, I'm a rookie here. Long version, please. Thanks.

RSBQ = Rhythm, Speed, Balance, Quickness....if any are negatively affected, it is a foul.

However, even being a veteran of the board, I have no idea what SDF is.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
RSBQ = Rhythm, Speed, Balance, Quickness....if any are negatively affected, it is a foul.

I don't know either, but I have some thoughts:

Save Da Foul?

Slow Da Flow?

Solid Delayed Foul?
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski View Post
I do know how the rule is written. However, I have never seen an official make a five second call on a player who is not advancing to the basket and his defender is squarely behind him (not uncommon when teams are trying to run down the clock). In fact, in watching many games during this summer tournament, I rarely saw refs chop on closely guarded at all? JW - how many closely guarded calls do you all make in the course of a normal varsity game?
ART. 1 . . . Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent. There is no minimum distance required between the guard and opponent, but the maximum is 6 feet when closely guarded.

If the defender is behind the dribbler, he ain't guarding. Therefore there is no count. Therefore you got it right.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 12:36am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
On N-S drives to the bucket, they wanted a patient whistle on hand checks to allow the player to finish under the SDF philosophy.

SOME DAMN FOOL might have ruined this play with a quick whistle.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
ART. 1 . . . Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent. There is no minimum distance required between the guard and opponent, but the maximum is 6 feet when closely guarded.

If the defender is behind the dribbler, he ain't guarding. Therefore there is no count. Therefore you got it right.
Let me ask a few questions to probe whether such an interpretation has any merit....

Are you saying you can't have a CG count if the player with the ball has his back to the defender? that all a player with the ball has to do to break the count is spin around so that the defender is behind him?

Are you suggesting that all a dribbler has to to to break the count is to take a single step away from the defender? (perhaps while facing away).

What if the dribbler is moving laterally with the defender tracking right with him in a parallel path? Is that not CG?

What if the dribbler is not even moving? By your interpretation of "path", there is no CG count since a stationary player has no "path". So, could a stationary player hold the ball indefinitely?

It would be nearly impossible, with such an interpretation, to ever get past 1 or 2...or even 0 with a clever player holding the ball in the corner facing OOB (no player could legally get in front of such a ball holder).

Can such an interpretation with so many holes be right?

That said, I don't think the OP's play is a CG situation...not with the defender following the player all the way across the court. Sounds like he was not containing or corralling the dribbler at all.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Jun 30, 2009 at 01:53am.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

A rule is a rule; in place for fairness between team A and Team B

So regardless of what direction the LG is happening (as long as it is in the front court) a count should take place. May I also add that if B2 came to take over B1 at mid-court the count continues NOT restarted. The rule references have been posted in previous responses
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 07:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That's odd, I've been to a couple of camps so far this summer that preached hand checks on E-W plays fall under RSBQ & should be an immediate whistle.

Quote:
Quote:

• Start
  • Develop
  • Finish
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 08:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post

I disagree with this concept as written. The call I'm thinking specifically is of a dribbler driving towards the basket, then retreating when he's been stopped. While retreating, the defender follows him closely. Are you saying you'll terminate the count once the dribbler begins his retreat because the defender is no longer in his path?

"In the path" is, IMO, subjective. I wish I could see the play in the OP to make my call. I see nothing in the OP that tells me there should be no count, but I could be seeing it wrong.

I think the path can be defined one of two ways: the general direction between the player and where he could reasonably be expected to want the ball, and the direction he is obviously moving.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
  • Start
  • Develop
  • Finish
Otherwise known as "See the whole play" or see the "Beginning, Middle, end End" or "Have a patient whistle". This is one that appears to have several variations of names that all really mean the same thing.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 10:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Otherwise known as "See the whole play" or see the "Beginning, Middle, end End" or "Have a patient whistle". This is one that appears to have several variations of names that all really mean the same thing.
"Let 'em play"