The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: This thread is old, why did he bring it back up?
Seriously, what a moron 2 40.00%
Nah, I like PackersFTW, he turns me on 3 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

NBA dead ball foul

In the Orlando/Cleveland game 3, around the 5 minute mark of the 4th quarter, Lebron was at the line shooting 2: On the second free throw (which went in), Varejao and Howard got ready for the rebound, but they kept fighting after the ball went in, and Howard grabbed the ball right after it went through the net, and Varejao ripped it out of his hands in a rough manner, and they called a foul on Varejao (Howard shot 2 at the other end). My question is, shouldn't that have been a technical on Varejao? How was it a regular foul during a dead ball (at least, I'd say it was a dead ball seeing as how the foul occured about 2-3 seconds after the free throw went in)?
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

I think you remember the play wrong. As I recall, LeBron missed the free throw which Dwight rebounded. Varejao fouled Dwight right afterwards, then all the extracurricular.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
I think you remember the play wrong. As I recall, LeBron missed the free throw which Dwight rebounded. Varejao fouled Dwight right afterwards, then all the extracurricular.
Correct. 2 shots for common foul on Varejao and no T called. Should have been T on Varejao as well. Of course Howard shouldn't have fouled out later either on really bad call by Willard - great guy by the way.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

I have no way to go back and check now, but I'm 95% sure that second free throw went in. I even replayed it. Why would I come on here and ask a question about a simple foul? In fact, I know it went in, I remember now, because Howard casually grabbed it after it hit the floor, and then Varejao started to try and get the ball from him for some reason, along with all that mess. So if that's the case, wouldn't the regular personal foul call be incorrect, and instead it should be a technical?
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 04:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFTW View Post
I have no way to go back and check now, but I'm 95% sure that second free throw went in. I even replayed it. Why would I come on here and ask a question about a simple foul? In fact, I know it went in, I remember now, because Howard casually grabbed it after it hit the floor, and then Varejao started to try and get the ball from him for some reason, along with all that mess. So if that's the case, wouldn't the regular personal foul call be incorrect, and instead it should be a technical?
NBA has a lot of different rules from NFHS/NCAA concerning fouls.

And 2 people have come on here and said the 2nd free throw was missed, so you may be wrong.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 05:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You know, the wonderful thing about modern technology is you can go check this stuff. According to foxsports.com, James missed a free throw at the 4:40 mark followed by a defensive rebound by Howard and a foul by Varejao.

So, to recap:
1. You do have a way to go back and re-check.
2. You were wrong.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The FT was missed. You obviously are asking about the foul because you don't remember it correctly.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

FWIW, a friend of mine still had that game on his DVR, and after an hour of trying to find the play, we found it, and the ball DID go in. It happened just as I said it did. I'm over it now though, I don't care, and I know nobody here will believe me anyways.
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm over it now though,
Surrrrrrre...

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Jun 24, 2009, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm over it now though, I don't care....
Oh, what a relief. I was worried there.