The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

From what you tell me Ernie probably made some "bad" calls against the other team too. Yet, you don't mention that. I hate to say this but it sounds like a parent who is upset that her daughter's team lost. I hope you didnt get on Ernie's case during the game.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

From what you tell me Ernie probably made some "bad" calls against the other team too. Yet, you don't mention that. I hate to say this but it sounds like a parent who is upset that her daughter's team lost. I hope you didnt get on Ernie's case during the game.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Another season is winding down...time to mentally summarize your overall performance and figure out what you need to do better next year.

If you see yourself in the following true story, I humbly suggest it is time to hang up your whistle.

Up front, let me acknowledge that the officiating had no bearing on the outcome of the game. However, as a fellow official, I was embarrassed by the poor quality of officiating.

At my daughter's game on Saturday, one official, I'll call him "Ernie", was woefully overmatched by the teams--he simply could not keep up with the pace of the game. Ernie was carrying about 30 extra pounds on his gut (he could've used a wheelbarrow to help him cart it up and down the floor), and by the way he was walking it was obvious his legs were killing him.

During the game two of Ernie's calls particularly bothered me--not so much the calls but how they were made. Ernie called one foul that happened near the baseline. Ernie was straight-lined on the play, and made the call from the Trail position--which in his case was on the division line.

The second call that was particularly bad, and not because of the call but because of the circumstance, was this: green took a shot from the low block, the lead, five feet away, gives the signal for "clean block" (which every good official knows he really shouldn't do...but that's a different topic), but Ernie calls a foul FROM THE FOUL-LINE EXTENDED ON THE OTHER END OF THE COURT!

I watched a tape of the game when I got home that night. Ernie's performance was even worse than I thought--he was out of position 80% of the time. The only time he was in position was when the ball happened to move to the right spot, because Ernie cannot move. He cannot even keep up with the point guard when she brings the ball up the floor at half-pace with no pressure.

Oh--the level of play here? These were 10 year old girls.

Please, if you cannot keep up with the pace in a 10-year old girls game, do everyone a favor and hang up your whistle. The players deserve better.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 02:18pm
In Memoriam

Question

[quote]Originally posted by mrsref on 03-06-2000 08:08 AM
Another season is winding down...time to mentally summarize your overall performance and figure out what you need to do better next year.

If you see yourself in the following true story, I humbly suggest it is time to hang up your whistle.

Up front, let me acknowledge that the officiating had no bearing on the outcome of the game. However, as a fellow official, I was embarrassed by the poor quality of officiating.

Ernie was carrying about 30 extra pounds on his gut ..., and by the way he was walking it was obvious his legs were killing him.

During the game two of Ernie's calls particularly bothered me--not so much the calls but how they were made. Ernie called one foul that happened near the baseline. Ernie was straight-lined on the play, and made the call from the Trail position--which in his case was on the division line.

...but Ernie calls a foul FROM THE FOUL-LINE EXTENDED ON THE OTHER END OF THE COURT!

I watched a tape of the game when I got home that night. Ernie's performance was even worse than I thought--he was out of position 80% of the time. ...He cannot even keep up with the point guard when she brings the ball up the floor at half-pace with no pressure.

Oh--the level of play here? These were 10 year old girls.

Mrsref,
I can see all thatyou wrote in my mind and believe you that you are only talking about the mechanics.

I can see Ernie as past his prime, but still willing to "help out the kids" or maybe help out the administrator.

I can see Ernie working with a less experienced Official and "reaching" for fouls in an effort to cover a young official.

Too, I can see a Bad Official who is there only for the money and the Egocentric Excercise.

But, having never walked in Ernie's Black Reffin' shoes, it is certainly hard for me to judge him from here.

It is too bad the best refs cannot work every game. But, then, the best refs don't want to work every game..., so, what should be done? Cancel the games , until the Best is available and willing, or work with what you have?

Yes, it is sad sometimes. But, do you really think anyone on this board would let themselves get to that condition?

I don't think so. Hope your team wins.
mick
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Mrs. Ref,

I totally understand your opinion of "Ernie", but, gosh, I have a hard time excepting the bashing that you gave him using this forum.

Two things to ponder:

** At the "10 yr. old" level, isn't participation and having fun the reason they're out there?

** Did any of the kids care (or even see) the way "Ernie" called this game?

One day, you'll have that "not-so-perfect" game. I'm hoping someone will NOT give you the tongue-lashing that you gave "Ernie".
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jackgil on 03-06-2000 12:54 PM

I never said which team team those two particular calls went against--and you were only half right. One example was against my team, the other for.

I will not argue judgement calls with an official for two reasons--after 12 years officiating, I know it does no good to argue judgement calls; and I know that as soon as I put on my coaching hat that my judgment is impaired.

However, my knowledge of officiating mechanics is not impaired. "Ernie" cannot physically keep up with the game anymore. It's time to hang it up.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by BigDave on 03-06-2000 06:04 PM
Mrs. Ref,

I totally understand your opinion of "Ernie", but, gosh, I have a hard time excepting the bashing that you gave him using this forum.

Two things to ponder:

** At the "10 yr. old" level, isn't participation and having fun the reason they're out there?

** Did any of the kids care (or even see) the way "Ernie" called this game?

One day, you'll have that "not-so-perfect" game. I'm hoping someone will NOT give you the tongue-lashing that you gave "Ernie".

I would argue that participation and having fun is the reason for anyone to play, whether they are 10, 15, 20, 30, or 99.

Participating and having fun does not mean you can't compete. When you are competing and trying your best to play well and win, it s*cks to have an official that just can't keep up. (By the way, the game we are discussing was the championship game of the competitive travel league my team plays in. The league covers two suburban Philly counties, and the level of play is one step below AAU. These girls are here to play competitive ball.)

"they are only ten"--Using this line is a cop-out for either a bad performance or a lack of effort. No referee worth his/her salt should ever say or think "they are only ten years old, so I don't have to hustle, do my best, be in position, or call the game correctly". Yes, adjustments are always made based on the level of play, but it should never be an adjustment of the officials' effort.

Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

For two teams of ten years, going to a game to compete at such a high championship level, your area of Philly must be putting something exceptional in the water. Last time I checked 10 year olds are what, 4th or 5th grade? I last worked a 5th grade girl’s game 5 or 6 years ago, and the girls could barely get the ball over the division line. As I recall the “house rules” were no 3, 5 or 10 second calls, no three pointers, and no press until 2 minutes left in the half. Why? Because their skill level was not very advanced. These teams might be good, and may be competitive, for their age, but please don’t compare them to Purdue or Tennessee. I doubt any of those girls will remember the game by the next jump. As for poor “Ernie”, we have no idea what was wrong with him, if anything. In college I worked games at that level (5th or 6th grade) when I shouldn’t be on the floor because of twisted ankles, knees, Appendicitis etc. Again why? Because the AD was short a guy, desperate, knew going in I was only 60%, and decided 60% was better than only one zebra. Did I feel good about having to be “carried” by my partner, no, but everyone knew going in what shape I was in. Besides, I have called games while the opposite was true, and you adjust the best you can and try to be consistent.

By the way, does it surprise anyone that the “Silent Saturday/Sundays” in Ohio are a hit with the kids, but hated by the parents.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

For two teams of ten years, going to a game to compete at such a high championship level, your area of Philly must be putting something exceptional in the water. Last time I checked 10 year olds are what, 4th or 5th grade? I last worked a 5th grade girl’s game 5 or 6 years ago, and the girls could barely get the ball over the division line. As I recall the “house rules” were no 3, 5 or 10 second calls, no three pointers, and no press until 2 minutes left in the half. Why? Because their skill level was not very advanced. These teams might be good, and may be competitive, for their age, but please don’t compare them to Purdue or Tennessee. I doubt any of those girls will remember the game by the next jump. As for poor “Ernie”, we have no idea what was wrong with him, if anything. In college I worked games at that level (5th or 6th grade) when I shouldn’t be on the floor because of twisted ankles, knees, Appendicitis etc. Again why? Because the AD was short a guy, desperate, knew going in I was only 60%, and decided 60% was better than only one zebra. Did I feel good about having to be “carried” by my partner, no, but everyone knew going in what shape I was in. Besides, I have called games while the opposite was true, and you adjust the best you can and try to be consistent.

By the way, does it surprise anyone that the “Silent Saturday/Sundays” in Ohio are a hit with the kids, but hated by the parents.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Mrsref, You have a lot of good points. So do the other posts on the topic. We all have been there, or seen that and it is very frustrating. We have all worked with partners that were less than ideal. At some point somebody worked with us and felt we were less than ideal. Its bad enough when officials privately criticize, I don't think we should ever publicly criticize an official. Your criticism should not be to the official, but to the assigner of the game. There are other things you can do to help officials in your area.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Bart -

Amen. I remember once getting dressed in our locker after a game and the officials for the next game were BSing. ONe of them mentioned how a particular official (he named him) made a terrible call in a game he was coaching (for his daughter). Said he didnt have a clue. I said nothing and walked away from that ref not thinking very highly of him for criticizing a fellow ref behind his back.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 05:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Angry

Guess what mrsref? I have recruited and trained refs for games involving 10 year old girls and I've yet to see one of these games held in anything other than an elementary school gym. So Ernie is setting up at trail at the division line? Big deal. He's still probably a lot closer than where he would normally be in a high school gym. Straightlined? How can you get straightlined when the players are only four and a half feet tall? As for calling out of his area - whenever I scheduled a veteran official with a newbie, I encouraged them to make those calls if the other guy misses them (which new officials always do), then discuss them later with the new official.

BTW - do you know how hard it is to find veteran officials willing to even work games involving 10 year olds? I do. It's virtually impossible. So he made two or three calls during a game you didn't like. Kwitcherbellyakin!

Ernie doesn't deserve criticism, he deserves a medal. When guys like Ernie finally do retire, you'll be complaining about how inexperienced all the refs are at this level.