View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by BigDave on 03-06-2000 06:04 PM
Mrs. Ref,

I totally understand your opinion of "Ernie", but, gosh, I have a hard time excepting the bashing that you gave him using this forum.

Two things to ponder:

** At the "10 yr. old" level, isn't participation and having fun the reason they're out there?

** Did any of the kids care (or even see) the way "Ernie" called this game?

One day, you'll have that "not-so-perfect" game. I'm hoping someone will NOT give you the tongue-lashing that you gave "Ernie".

I would argue that participation and having fun is the reason for anyone to play, whether they are 10, 15, 20, 30, or 99.

Participating and having fun does not mean you can't compete. When you are competing and trying your best to play well and win, it s*cks to have an official that just can't keep up. (By the way, the game we are discussing was the championship game of the competitive travel league my team plays in. The league covers two suburban Philly counties, and the level of play is one step below AAU. These girls are here to play competitive ball.)

"they are only ten"--Using this line is a cop-out for either a bad performance or a lack of effort. No referee worth his/her salt should ever say or think "they are only ten years old, so I don't have to hustle, do my best, be in position, or call the game correctly". Yes, adjustments are always made based on the level of play, but it should never be an adjustment of the officials' effort.