View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 07, 2000, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

For two teams of ten years, going to a game to compete at such a high championship level, your area of Philly must be putting something exceptional in the water. Last time I checked 10 year olds are what, 4th or 5th grade? I last worked a 5th grade girl’s game 5 or 6 years ago, and the girls could barely get the ball over the division line. As I recall the “house rules” were no 3, 5 or 10 second calls, no three pointers, and no press until 2 minutes left in the half. Why? Because their skill level was not very advanced. These teams might be good, and may be competitive, for their age, but please don’t compare them to Purdue or Tennessee. I doubt any of those girls will remember the game by the next jump. As for poor “Ernie”, we have no idea what was wrong with him, if anything. In college I worked games at that level (5th or 6th grade) when I shouldn’t be on the floor because of twisted ankles, knees, Appendicitis etc. Again why? Because the AD was short a guy, desperate, knew going in I was only 60%, and decided 60% was better than only one zebra. Did I feel good about having to be “carried” by my partner, no, but everyone knew going in what shape I was in. Besides, I have called games while the opposite was true, and you adjust the best you can and try to be consistent.

By the way, does it surprise anyone that the “Silent Saturday/Sundays” in Ohio are a hit with the kids, but hated by the parents.