View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 02:18pm
In Memoriam

Question

[quote]Originally posted by mrsref on 03-06-2000 08:08 AM
Another season is winding down...time to mentally summarize your overall performance and figure out what you need to do better next year.

If you see yourself in the following true story, I humbly suggest it is time to hang up your whistle.

Up front, let me acknowledge that the officiating had no bearing on the outcome of the game. However, as a fellow official, I was embarrassed by the poor quality of officiating.

Ernie was carrying about 30 extra pounds on his gut ..., and by the way he was walking it was obvious his legs were killing him.

During the game two of Ernie's calls particularly bothered me--not so much the calls but how they were made. Ernie called one foul that happened near the baseline. Ernie was straight-lined on the play, and made the call from the Trail position--which in his case was on the division line.

...but Ernie calls a foul FROM THE FOUL-LINE EXTENDED ON THE OTHER END OF THE COURT!

I watched a tape of the game when I got home that night. Ernie's performance was even worse than I thought--he was out of position 80% of the time. ...He cannot even keep up with the point guard when she brings the ball up the floor at half-pace with no pressure.

Oh--the level of play here? These were 10 year old girls.

Mrsref,
I can see all thatyou wrote in my mind and believe you that you are only talking about the mechanics.

I can see Ernie as past his prime, but still willing to "help out the kids" or maybe help out the administrator.

I can see Ernie working with a less experienced Official and "reaching" for fouls in an effort to cover a young official.

Too, I can see a Bad Official who is there only for the money and the Egocentric Excercise.

But, having never walked in Ernie's Black Reffin' shoes, it is certainly hard for me to judge him from here.

It is too bad the best refs cannot work every game. But, then, the best refs don't want to work every game..., so, what should be done? Cancel the games , until the Best is available and willing, or work with what you have?

Yes, it is sad sometimes. But, do you really think anyone on this board would let themselves get to that condition?

I don't think so. Hope your team wins.
mick