The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Mid-America Youth Basketball (MAYB)

Has anyone else officiated any of their tournaments? We had one in the Dallas area this weekend. Some of the teams dropped out so the schedule changed daily. Parents complained a lot (as usual), but overall the kids (high school girls) were a good bunch.

We had some good teams and good officials working the games.

When it came time to get paid, I was amazed that they only paid us $17 per game! We made $17 per game in 1992!

I will know better next time. I didn't realize that the pay was so low! To top it off, after doing our fifth game of the day today and our 15th of the weekend, the final game was a 30 point blowout between the two teams that hadn't won any games yet. On our way out, we were accused by one of the coaches of the losing team that we were lazy and not in position to make calls in the final couple of minutes of the blowout game. We couldn't avoid them since we all had to leave out of the same door. We said nothing, but just listening to them try to tell us that we were lazy was frustrating....especially when their own kids came up and thanked us after the game for calling their games. Kids are great. I wish they didn't have to become grownups!

I admit we weren't 100%---but at least 95%! (the mind wandered just a bit in the last couple of minutes of a 30 point blowout), but we called a good game and I thought we earned our $17 !

It's just frustrating to give your best effort for the kids (who appreciate it and have fun) and then have it ruined by a couple of parents who do not appreciate good officiating done for almost no money.

They don't realize that at $17 per game; they are not going to get good officials much longer. This is my last MAYB tournament if there is no increase in pay. I should've checked to see what the pay was before the tournament, but once I was in...I did the best job I could do.

Last edited by dave30; Sun Jun 07, 2009 at 11:42pm.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30 View Post
Has anyone else officiated any of their tournaments? We had one in the Dallas area this weekend. Some of the teams dropped out so the schedule changed daily. Parents complained a lot (as usual), but overall the kids (high school girls) were a good bunch.

We had some good teams and good officials working the games.

When it came time to get paid, I was amazed that they only paid us $17 per game! We made $17 per game in 1992!

I will know better next time. I didn't realize that the pay was so low! To top it off, after doing our fifth game of the day today and our 15th of the weekend, the final game was a 30 point blowout between the two teams that hadn't won any games yet. On our way out, we were accused by one of the coaches of the losing team that we were lazy and not in position to make calls in the final couple of minutes of the blowout game. We couldn't avoid them since we all had to leave out of the same door. We said nothing, but just listening to them try to tell us that we were lazy was frustrating....especially when their own kids came up and thanked us after the game for calling their games. Kids are great. I wish they didn't have to become grownups!

I admit we weren't 100%---but at least 95%! (the mind wandered just a bit in the last couple of minutes of a 30 point blowout), but we called a good game and I thought we earned our $17 !

It's just frustrating to give your best effort for the kids (who appreciate it and have fun) and then have it ruined by a couple of parents who do not appreciate good officiating done for almost no money.

They don't realize that at $17 per game; they are not going to get good officials much longer. This is my last MAYB tournament if there is no increase in pay. I should've checked to see what the pay was before the tournament, but once I was in...I did the best job I could do.
I have two thoughts:
1. You should ALWAYS get all the particulars before agreeing to work any event. Never be surprised by who your partners are, what gym you are in, or what the game fee is.

2. My next comment is going to sound harsh, but it is not intended to be mean and I ask that you allow me to explain.
YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!
If it weren't for people such as yourself thinking that they are helping by working 15 games in a weekend at a paltry game fee, then the event organizers would be forced to offer more money to attract more officials.

While you believe that you are helping out and working hard, you are actually hurting your fellow officials by keeping the rates low. Cut your number of games in half or stop working altogether for scumbag organizers who charge the teams an obscene amount of money (ca. $700), then pay the refs a pittance and pocket the rest.

Afterall, why should an organizer pay $25 or $30 a game when you will work for $17? And if you and a just few others are willing to be game whores all weekend for that, then he certainly doesn't need raise the fee and attract more officials. He is perfectly happy to run you into the ground and make extra bucks off your sweat. BTW when you quit, he'll be happy to find some other schmuck to take your spot next year. So what can you do about it?

Instead of complaining, you should strive for a solution. In my area, all of the HS officials got together and agreed not to work any summer tournaments for less than X dollars per game. We have about three guys who do the assigning for us, and whenever someone with an event inquires about officials with one of us we direct the person to those three guys.

Of course, there are some city league and rec warriors who are willing to go out there for much less, but we tell the organizers that we aren't willing to work with anyone from outside of our group, and furthermore, if they want anyone from our group, then the event can't use anyone from outside of it, unless we can't cover all of the games. When that happens, we demand all of the games at certain sites and have the tournament bring in whoever else they want for the other locations.

The power of collective bargaining.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
I know I'm part of the problem and would turn down anything at a lower price if I didn't need the money. But, this weekend, I needed the money!
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

There is a very large MAYB tournament in KS this weekend. There is a ref camp that will take up 4 or 5 gyms. The rest of the gyms will pay $20.

I know three person crews who will take a gym for the weekend. They will work 2 on and one off. They sleep in the school. I find that hard to believe. I would be dead on my feet if I worked 20 out of 30 games in the weekend.

There will be 30+ gyms going in this tournament. Lot of good bball and some not so good.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
There is a very large MAYB tournament in KS this weekend. There is a ref camp that will take up 4 or 5 gyms. The rest of the gyms will pay $20.

I know three person crews who will take a gym for the weekend. They will work 2 on and one off. They sleep in the school. I find that hard to believe. I would be dead on my feet if I worked 20 out of 30 games in the weekend.

There will be 30+ gyms going in this tournament. Lot of good bball and some not so good.
We have these same type of officials in our area also. I will work 3 games in a row and be done and then I see their names down for 12 games in a row. They don't even bring into a jog during the first game they work...how bad are they during game 9-10-11-12? We are still getting paid to do a job if they are not going to take is seriously than don't work, you are giving all the officials who are giving 100% a bad name.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

$17/game? I don't know much about the MAYB organization, but seems like there would be more uniformity in officiating pay.

I worked a fairly large MAYB tournament in Branson last year and the pay was either $25 or $28 per game.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty sure pay for MAYB is set by each individual tourney director. There is no "standard" that I'm aware of. The most I've ever made is $20/game, but I haven't worked any for quite a few years... Mostly because $20/game isn't nearly enough to listen to the ignorance that comes our way from parents who sit on the bench and serve as the "coach".
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

We have quite a number of NAYS tournaments in the WI, I have been at three and all three paid a different amount.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 10:01am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk View Post
I'm pretty sure pay for MAYB is set by each individual tourney director. There is no "standard" that I'm aware of. The most I've ever made is $20/game, but I haven't worked any for quite a few years... Mostly because $20/game isn't nearly enough to listen to the ignorance that comes our way from parents who sit on the bench, or along the sideline, or end line, or in the stands and serve as the "coach".
There, fixed it for ya!
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Find out how much you are going to be paid before accepting the assignments will solve that issue. Most MAYB tournament directors run their tournaments for a profit in their pocket or to support their team's summer travel. Of course they will try to get officials for the least amount they can.

We have some in our area that pay $20 per game and they get $20 per game officials. There is a big difference in the officiails when there is $25 games which is Summer scale in our area.

Nevada is right... there's always people out there that will take whatever and work a ton of games so it's not like their games won't be officiated. However, what brings teams back to a tournament year after year?? Good officiating and an organized tournament?