The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I want to thank all of you for all the valuable information that you have provided to me, a female youth sports coach of girls in 4th to 8th grade.

I understand the patience that it takes to officiate youth sports as it take phenomenal patience to coach a group of girls with that characteristic "deer in the headlights" look once they get on the floor.

I wanted you all to know that there are some youth coaches who appreciate all you do and try to teach our kids respect for their team members, the officials, the other team and parents. I make sure I thank our officials after every game and have the girls say thank you too, even if it's a very shy one by that day's team captain. I also teach them never to speak to an official unless they are spoken to first and to let me know if they don't understand what an official has tried to tell them.

I appreciate the time and effort it takes to not only officiate these youth games, but also try to teach the girls what and why various calls are made.

I have been coaching girls for the past 6 years and I admit I am the coach that takes all the girls that no one else wants, so we end up losing A LOT in the beginning of a season. But usually there is at least one diamond in the rough on the team. One kid who wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to play because of their lack of skills unless they were on my "B" team.

My 12 yo daughter is my assistant coach. She has learned an enormous amount by being on the other side of the bench. She sees what the officals go through in a game and appreciates how they try to control not only the game, but the other coaches, the parents and the fans. She appreciates why I am a head coach that usually sits unless I need a time out and never yells at my girls or the officials. She's witnessed too many out of control coaches and fans at youth games.

We win some, we loose some but we always, always have a good time and learn something each game.

thank you for listening and for officiating. If it wasn't for you all I wouldn't be able to coach and teach the girls not only basketball, but life skills on team work, cooperation and how to be a competitor and a good sport.

Happy Holidays to all,
Coach G
(we won 1 game so far!)
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

There is a Santa Claus !!!!!
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by coachgbert
Happy Holidays to all
Right back at'cha, Coach. Thanks for the kind word. Keep up the good work.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I want to thank all of you for all the valuable information that you have provided to me, a female youth sports coach of girls in 4th to 8th grade.

I understand the patience that it takes to officiate youth sports as it take phenomenal patience to coach a group of girls with that characteristic "deer in the headlights" look once they get on the floor.

I wanted you all to know that there are some youth coaches who appreciate all you do and try to teach our kids respect for their team members, the officials, the other team and parents. I make sure I thank our officials after every game and have the girls say thank you too, even if it's a very shy one by that day's team captain. I also teach them never to speak to an official unless they are spoken to first and to let me know if they don't understand what an official has tried to tell them.

I appreciate the time and effort it takes to not only officiate these youth games, but also try to teach the girls what and why various calls are made.

I have been coaching girls for the past 6 years and I admit I am the coach that takes all the girls that no one else wants, so we end up losing A LOT in the beginning of a season. But usually there is at least one diamond in the rough on the team. One kid who wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to play because of their lack of skills unless they were on my "B" team.

My 12 yo daughter is my assistant coach. She has learned an enormous amount by being on the other side of the bench. She sees what the officals go through in a game and appreciates how they try to control not only the game, but the other coaches, the parents and the fans. She appreciates why I am a head coach that usually sits unless I need a time out and never yells at my girls or the officials. She's witnessed too many out of control coaches and fans at youth games.

We win some, we loose some but we always, always have a good time and learn something each game.

thank you for listening and for officiating. If it wasn't for you all I wouldn't be able to coach and teach the girls not only basketball, but life skills on team work, cooperation and how to be a competitor and a good sport.

Happy Holidays to all,
Coach G
(we won 1 game so far!)

I'm sure I speak for all officials who officiate youth sports, THANK YOU!

It is very rare that Coaches recognize Officials and the work they do. I also appreciate the work that you do and I am sure your youth especially appreciate your efforts and appreciation for the game! What you do as a Coach does not go un-noticed or un-appreciated by us officials either.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
PS: It is not whether or not you win or lose, it's how you play the game!
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Coach,

If there were more like you this job would be much easier.
We officials also appreciate coaches like yourself. I have two young daughters and I can only hope thier coaches will be have as considerate as you.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

If every team had someone like you on the bench, youth basketball would be so much better to officiate.

Thanks and a Merry Christmas to You too.
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 01:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
I wanted you all to know that there are some youth coaches who appreciate all you do
So, you're the one!
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 02:11pm
In Memoriam

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
I wanted you all to know that there are some youth coaches who appreciate all you do
So, you're the one!
Welcome to the forum and thanks, Coach!

Good call, Padgett.
mick
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 01:59am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
I also teach them never to speak to an official unless they are spoken to first and to let me know if they don't understand what an official has tried to tell them.
Thanks coach! We certainly don't hear that enough although we all understand it comes with wearing the stripes (although it shouldn't). Just wanted to say that I always tell the kids that they can speak to me all night as long as they speak to me with respect. Thanks for the kind words and Happy Holidays to you!! Take care.

T Jones
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

I don't know what you've caught....

but I hope it's contagious!

Thanks, coach, and Happy Holidays!