The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 02:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

This past Sunday, I worked a girl's varsity spring league game. My partner is a Buddist, I am Jewish and the game was between Valley Catholic and Westside Christian.

As I said - only in America.

BTW - earlier in the day, I had a JV boy's game. One coach (white team) is a former ref partner of mine from an association of which I used to be a member, the other coach (blue team) is one of the refs in my rec league and his oldest son, who plays on the team, also refs for me in my league. It was a real kick having two coaches who joked with me the entire game. At the beginning, the kid who is one of my refs came out with his dad's old HS jersey on. It said "Gaels" on the front. I looked at it and said "Girls?". He said "No, it's Gaels." I said that Gail was a girls name. He said it was "Gaels, like in Gaelic." I said "garlic?" He gave up at that point, shook his head and said, "Please - just ref, Mark".
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

It was a real kick having two coaches who joked with me the entire game.
I dunno, I get this all the time. I call a foul on one end, the coach starts screaming "you have GOT to be joking!!" Then I go down the other end and call a foul, and the other coach grabs his head and mutters "what a joke!"

Funny guys these coaches.
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
BTW - earlier in the day, I had a JV boy's game. One coach (white team) is a former ref partner of mine from an association of which I used to be a member, the other coach (blue team) is one of the refs in my rec league and his oldest son, who plays on the team, also refs for me in my league.
Sounds like just the opposite experience that I had. The worst heat that I received happened this winter. From a fellow referee! CYO game, 7th grade. My biggest mistake was giving him more leeway. (He's a ref, I cut him some slack.) Wrong! It finally got to a timeout, and my partner says, "If you're not going to T him up, I will." I realized that I was putting my partner in a tough situation. I learned my lesson, the hard way. NEVER AGAIN!
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Hey, Mark.

I heard the coaches were apathetic atheists - they didn't care what you said, they weren't believing any of it.

- Catherine Aird