The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 11:55am
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow Are NBA refs biased?

Newspaper article from The Oregonian. Nice photo of Phil Jackson being ignored by an official.

http://www.oregonlive.com/nba/index....ting_stud.html

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Thu Jun 04, 2009 at 11:58am.
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the meat of the study:

Quote:
The researchers looked at six seasons of turnover statistics. They used ones where referees wield relatively little influence, such as a bad pass or steal, as a "control" group, and compared them with ones where referees wield greater influence, such as traveling and offensive fouls.

The researchers found that each type of favoritism -- home, trailing in a game and trailing in a series -- resulted in a 5 to 10 percent advantage in "discretionary" turnovers, or ones over which referees have the most influence.
I've never really thought to compare a team's propensity to travel or pick up a charge to their getting the ball stolen or throwing it out of bounds (if in the control group). I'm as huge a critic of the NBA's officiating system as anyone -- I think its a joke -- but I can't necessarily agree that a 5 to 10 percent difference in these so-called discretionary vs. non-discretionary items means much of anything.

They should have hired 3 or 4 retired college officials with no NBA experience as consultants.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Who cares, basketball season has been over since NCAA championship game.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 09:22am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
Who cares, basketball season has been over since NCAA championship game.
Wow! Does that mean my spring league games for tonight are cancelled? I gotta call my Assigner!
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I've never really thought to compare a team's propensity to travel or pick up a charge to their getting the ball stolen or throwing it out of bounds (if in the control group). I'm as huge a critic of the NBA's officiating system as anyone -- I think its a joke -- but I can't necessarily agree that a 5 to 10 percent difference in these so-called discretionary vs. non-discretionary items means much of anything.
I'll bet I can show statisically that in the last 3-4 minutes of a close game, officials tend to call more fouls on the team that's behind. Gasp! That's an obvious bias towards the team that is ahead! Stop the presses!

(Well, as long as I don't take into account the fact the team that's behind usually wants to foul. Wouldn't want facts to get in the way of a good story, eh?)

While I'm not an expert on statistics, and I haven't played one on TV either, the one item that jumped out at me was the fact I didn't see any mention in the study about including the variable on how teams play differently when they are ahead vs. when they are behind. It would make sense there are some calls that happen more often under the scenario of playing from behind; playing harder to get the ball back vs. protecting the ball, etc.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Question Figures??

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I'll bet I can show statisically that in the last 3-4 minutes of a close game, officials tend to call more fouls on the team that's behind. Gasp! That's an obvious bias towards the team that is ahead! Stop the presses!

(Well, as long as I don't take into account the fact the team that's behind usually wants to foul. Wouldn't want facts to get in the way of a good story, eh?)

While I'm not an expert on statistics, and I haven't played one on TV either, the one item that jumped out at me was the fact I didn't see any mention in the study about including the variable on how teams play differently when they are ahead vs. when they are behind. It would make sense there are some calls that happen more often under the scenario of playing from behind; playing harder to get the ball back vs. protecting the ball, etc.
My take on the study is this - "figures don't lie, BUT liars figure." So,I'll agree completely with yu'all.
Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 02:54pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
My take on the study is this - "figures don't lie, BUT liars figure." So,I'll agree completely with yu'all.
Wow...thanks for a good line the next time I need to fill out an academic dishonesty form on a student.