The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Its tourney time in our Rec League. Had an interesting one. Thoughts?

Our "official scorekeeper" was very biased. He was a parent volunteer. Seemed he did know how to keep good books.

As the game intensified he was standing, sideline active, shouting player instructions, etc. right over the books.

Caught my attention however. He never challenged us and worked with both officials accordingly but - it just didn't "look" good in game manement. Ever happen in anyone "real" HS games to anyone? Advise?

Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:58am
Jerry Blum

I've been at a game where either the scoreboard operator or the official book keeper(Don't remember which) would shake the head disapprovingly when the official made a foul call that they didn't like. At halftime the official talked to game management and told him to have him stop or remove him from that position. This was HS boys varsity game.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

One or the Other

Had it happen in a HS game once. My comment to the individual was, You can be an official scorekeeper or a fan, but you can't be both. Which one will it be?"
He decided to remain a scorekeeper and was fine the rest of the game.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I would respectfully give this gentleman two options: 1)Sit quietly at the table and work the book, or 2)find someone else to do the job and go sit in the stands to cheer. You can't do both.

I don't see this at high school games. I see either an experienced adult who does the job professionally or a student who does the job who can barely stay awake, much less, cheer for his school.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I did have an issue with a scorekeeper during a Varsity girls game several years ago. The visiting team scorekeeper was at the table. Her team was clearly outmatched from the beginning. About the midle of the first quarter it started: "That was the worst call I've ever seen", "That was terrible", etc.

On one occasion where I was administering a throw-in in front of the table, the gym was fairly quiet, I had my chance. I looked right at her and politely, but firmly instructed her that if she was at the table, she was a part of the officiating crew and to keep her comments to herself. Didn't hear any more from her the rest of the evening!
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
On one occasion where I was administering a throw-in in front of the table, the gym was fairly quiet, I had my chance. I looked right at her and politely, but firmly instructed her that if she was at the table, she was a part of the officiating crew and to keep her comments to herself. Didn't hear any more from her the rest of the evening!
Public embarassment of the biased scorer/timer always seems to correct the problem. I've never had to replace a table official, but I've warned a few.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Try being in a small village(AK) where you are flown in and out. Real Situation!

My partner goes to table to report foul on A1, Scorekeeper looks at official and shakes his head NO. My partner comes over to me and said do you remember who the foul was on, I indicate A1's number, Partner goes back over to table tells score keeper foul on A1. Score keeper shakes head NO again. Partner comes back over to me, we both go up to scorekeeper and he tells us we are obviously wrong. Realizing our situation and our health for the next day and a half before we can leave. My partner signals A3's number and scorekeeper shake head yes.

We note this to the region....this was not the first time this had happened. Village was put on Probation for 2 years.

AK ref SE
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Really?

The WHOLE VILLAGE was put on probation for a doof at the score table? How did that work? :-)
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I tossed a visiting book person once. We're talking freshman girls here. The home score person was new, 14 or 15 years old, and scared to death. But no one else had applied for the job, so here she was. AD came to me way ahead of time and talked about how this girl was new, and was only going to do freshman this year, but wanted to move up as she was able. I tried to be encouraging and supportive, showed her a few hints, and promised to work with her, and give her plenty of leeway. Her best friend in similar situation was going to do the clock.

Visiting book person was a crotchety old geezer with an attitude. He started in on her about 2 minutes into the game. By the end of the first quarter, she was in tears and ready to quit. The AD was in the other gym. Visiting coach was no help at all. I warned the guy that he was disposable, and he'd better back off and leave her alone. But by half-time it was hopeless. He went to find the "refs in the other gym so they could straighten out this mess." My partner and I rounded up the AD, who didn't let this guy back into our gym. Visiting coach couldn't understand why we were so upset about it all. But I assured her that she wasn't going to win this battle, and she'd be well advised to find a different book person from here on out. This in a game that she won by 35 points.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 11:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

About 10 years ago in a rec game, I ejected an 8th grader for using that word that starts with "f" and ends in "uck" and it's not "firetruck".

When I went to report it, the scorekeeper folded his arms across his chest and refused to write it in the book. He said the kid was his son and he knew his son would never say that.

This was a new one on me, but it didn't matter. That guy was off the table in record time.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

The best thing to do is to pre-game with the official scorer, visitor scorer, and timer(s). Letting them know tonight what you expect from them, but letting them know thta tonight they are on your team. They are part of the officals and we need to have a professional attitude. Ever since I have done that, it sets the tone.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 11:57pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

When I went to report it, the scorekeeper folded his arms across his chest and refused to write it in the book. He said the kid was his son and he knew his son would never say that.

You told what word the player had used when you reported?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Thumbs up Re: One or the Other

Quote:
Originally posted by NCAAREF
Had it happen in a HS game once. My comment to the individual was, You can be an official scorekeeper or a fan, but you can't be both. Which one will it be?"
He decided to remain a scorekeeper and was fine the rest of the game.
That is probably the best way to handle it right there!!!!
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Really?

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
The WHOLE VILLAGE was put on probation for a doof at the score table? How did that work? :-)
"It takes a village to cheat on a basketball game"

- African Proverb (oft spoken by Hillary Clinton...)
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

biased table

The official scorekeeper can not be biased, and if they are they should be removed from the table.