The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 08:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 181174 View Post
Who will have the count on free throws now in 2 man? if the trail is at the 28 foot line on the 2nd freethrow and the lead is opposite of the table now, who is watching the free throw shooter? in 3 man I always seem a little out of the loop on freethrows when I am trail on the table side. Just wondering how this is going to work on 2 man, will the trail have to be at about 17 or 18 feet like we were across from the table? if not its going to have to be a serious closedown to get position to watch on rebounding action.
I do not think anything fundamental has changed in the coverage, the Trail is just table side. At least that is my take.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
So if the trail calls a foul in the forecourt and there are shots there is no switch?
I am not sure if this was intended, but as written, this would be the implication.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 09:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not think anything fundamental has changed in the coverage, the Trail is just table side. At least that is my take.
For those who officiated in the 80s and early 90s, it's no big deal -- back then we always put the trail "on the left".

I wonder how this is going to play out -- will we switch depending on whether we're shooting or not? If so, this change is horrible. Just have the calling official become the trail all the time - whether tableside or not. Now, if it's the sixth foul we have to switch but if it's the seventh we don't? Silly. Just silly.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
For those who officiated in the 80s and early 90s, it's no big deal -- back then we always put the trail "on the left".

I wonder how this is going to play out -- will we switch depending on whether we're shooting or not? If so, this change is horrible. Just have the calling official become the trail all the time - whether tableside or not. Now, if it's the sixth foul we have to switch but if it's the seventh we don't? Silly. Just silly.
You're showing your age again!

As I read it, the two officials will continue to switch on all fouls as normal, except if it is a shooting foul and in that case the calling official always takes the Trail position.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:04pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You're showing your age again!

As I read it, the two officials will continue to switch on all fouls as normal, except if it is a shooting foul and in that case the calling official always takes the Trail position.
I just started young. I'm still south of 40. I won't be when I work my next game, though.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 181174 View Post
Who will have the count on free throws now in 2 man? if the trail is at the 28 foot line on the 2nd freethrow and the lead is opposite of the table now, who is watching the free throw shooter? in 3 man I always seem a little out of the loop on freethrows when I am trail on the table side. Just wondering how this is going to work on 2 man, will the trail have to be at about 17 or 18 feet like we were across from the table? if not its going to have to be a serious closedown to get position to watch on rebounding action.
Dude this is not that difficult, there is nothing changing about the coverage areas, just flip the little lines over on your pre-game board. You cover it the exact same as you would if you were opposite the table. This has been going on in Texas now for several years. Just don't turn around and run to the other side of the court when you're done reporting...it's that simple.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 06:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Can You Hear Barbra Singing In The Background ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
For those who officiated in the 80s and early 90s, it's no big deal, back then we always put the trail "on the left".
I thought I was the only one who remembered doing that?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 07:35am
Administrator

T in 3-Person Mirroring the L's Clock Start Signal.

Ask anybody who attended a Phil Bova Basketball Officiating Camp from the early 1980's on, and they will tell you that Phil was teaching this mechanic back then. If you watched a Big-10 Men's game you could tell which officials had attended Phil's camp because they would use this mechanic. I believe the NBA/WNBA have been using it for some time now and you will see it used by officials at the NCAA Men's and Women's level also. I have been using it for over 25 years (yes, I am a Phil Bova Camper, ).

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 08:38am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I am asking my old interpreter. It COULD be an IAABO mechanic. Which is mostly in the Northeast.
Correct, the calling official goes opposite table was a new IAABO mechanic for 08-09 ie: NCAA-M. Our association decided to stay tableside ie: NCAA-W. Much to my dismay, next season we will go opposite in 3 person. I really like staying tableside as it makes communication with coaches/table easier. I don't like being questioned about my partners call just because I'm the closest & I don't like coaches hollaring across my court...

T chops is good, I like that mechanic!
It looks as though HS tries to adapt the best NCAA mechanics from both sides. Must be a challenge for those of you who work both levels.

As far as 2 person goes, having the calling official become tableside T on FTs is cool, but administering the FTs at L & going opposite??? How confusing is THAT going to be working back & forth from 2 - 3 person night to night?? Not sure about that one, but here's an idea. How about no more 2 person, period!!
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 09:39am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
How about no more 2 person, period!!
Pretty sure this is not economically feasible.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 09:40am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Pretty sure this is not economically feasible.
Wishful thinking I guess
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 11:43am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Correct, the calling official goes opposite table was a new IAABO mechanic for 08-09 ie: NCAA-M. Our association decided to stay tableside ie: NCAA-W. Much to my dismay, next season we will go opposite in 3 person. I really like staying tableside as it makes communication with coaches/table easier. I don't like being questioned about my partners call just because I'm the closest & I don't like coaches hollaring across my court...

T chops is good, I like that mechanic!
It looks as though HS tries to adapt the best NCAA mechanics from both sides. Must be a challenge for those of you who work both levels.

As far as 2 person goes, having the calling official become tableside T on FTs is cool, but administering the FTs at L & going opposite??? How confusing is THAT going to be working back & forth from 2 - 3 person night to night?? Not sure about that one, but here's an idea. How about no more 2 person, period!!
Yes, it was IAABO, not just our state. I remember administering the FT as trail in my first stint all those years ago. And holding the one-and-one signal with arms extended while counting with the trail finger. You guys don't know what you were missing. At least MOST of you guys.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 12:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
How about no more 2 person, period!!
speaking of this, we just got notice that my metro league will no longer be utilizing three at the JV level due to financial issues with the school districts. It was nice while it lasted.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 12:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Correct, the calling official goes opposite table was a new IAABO mechanic for 08-09 ie: NCAA-M.
I'm pretty sure that was statewide, in case that's not what you meant.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 12:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Did you drive a cadillac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I thought I was the only one who remembered doing that?
When I first started working middle school games while in college, we did this.
by the time I started back up again a few years later, it was gone along with players entering the lane on the release.