The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   New mechanics changes for High school Basketball! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/53296-new-mechanics-changes-high-school-basketball.html)

kda89508 Tue May 19, 2009 04:31pm

New mechanics changes for High school Basketball!

How about these at the bottom of the page? http://www.nfhs.org/core/contentmana...es_Changes.pdf THANKS! Kevin

DonInKansas Tue May 19, 2009 04:38pm

Why are they reversing whow free throws are administered in 2 man? Is the trail getting winded going opposite tableside?

bradfordwilkins Tue May 19, 2009 04:43pm

Mirroring chopping the clock? eww

26 Year Gap Tue May 19, 2009 04:45pm

So if the trail calls a foul in the forecourt and there are shots there is no switch? And after they moved the calling official away from the table this past season they want the calling official near the bench in a crew of two? I noticed that it says 2009-11 for mechanics changes. Did you type these yourself? [No I have not gone to the Fed website yet]

26 Year Gap Tue May 19, 2009 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins (Post 603257)
Mirroring chopping the clock? eww

Aren't we supposed to be watching the players in our area?

kda89508 Tue May 19, 2009 04:48pm

No they are on the website!

I sure would not have typed these in. You were still on table side in high school 3 man last year but I dont agree with these changes. Kevin

26 Year Gap Tue May 19, 2009 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kda89508 (Post 603260)
I sure would not have typed these in. You were still on table side in high school 3 man last year but I dont agree with these changes. Kevin

Calling official went opposite table in 3 man for last season.

Texas Aggie Tue May 19, 2009 04:56pm

Quote:

Is the trail getting winded going opposite tableside?
We've been doing this in Texas for a number of years and it is a much better mechanic. If the coach wants to have a word with you, you are right there. Plus, it speeds up time. When I'm lead, I bounce the ball the instant the Trail turns around after reporting the foul (they know to be ready, and I expect them to do the same). Finally, if the table has an issue, you are right there.

There's no good reason to go opposite table. The only stated reason was to get away from the coach, but I've done it both ways (a LOT) and staying there works better. I can shut down whatever behavior I need to from there easier as well.

Nevadaref Tue May 19, 2009 04:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 603261)
Calling official went opposite table in 3 man for last season.

Nope. Not by the NFHS manual. Perhaps by a directive from YOUR specific state.

The NCAA Mens official went opposite, but the NCAA Womens stayed tableside.

I think that you are confused.

Vinski Tue May 19, 2009 05:08pm

Personally, I like the idea of the reporting official staying up top table side. This is the same mechanic that trail does in three man. Seems to flow much smoother.
However, I don’t like having to mirror the chop. This will take the trail's eyes off the pre-throwin action in his primary because he has to watch his partner at the end-line.

Nevadaref Tue May 19, 2009 05:19pm

The 2-man change is to more closely match the 3-man system.

The calling official is now tableside. People can debate whether that helps or hurts with the coaches.

The 3-man change is to more closely match the NCAA mechanics.
The NCAAW's (and some of the men's officials) officials have the Trail mirroring the chop. It helps the timer who sometimes has difficultly seeing the Lead.

zm1283 Tue May 19, 2009 05:34pm

So if I'm reading this right, in 2-man whoever calls the foul will stay table side, but only on fouls where free throws will be shot?

I do like that the Trail goes table side for free throws like in 3-man. For officials that go back and forth between 2 and 3 man, it is easier.

As for the 3-man change, it says something about mirroring the stop and start clock mechanic. Does that man the Trail has to also put his hand up to stop the clock? I don't mind mirroring the start clock chop, but mirroring the stop clock signal is really stupid.

kda89508 Tue May 19, 2009 07:11pm

Only in college men

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 603258)
So if the trail calls a foul in the forecourt and there are shots there is no switch? And after they moved the calling official away from the table this past season they want the calling official near the bench in a crew of two? I noticed that it says 2009-11 for mechanics changes. Did you type these yourself? [No I have not gone to the Fed website yet]

That rule was only in NCAA Mens not in High School unless your state did something different. Kevin

26 Year Gap Tue May 19, 2009 07:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kda89508 (Post 603284)
That rule was only in NCAA Mens not in High School unless your state did something different. Kevin

I am asking my old interpreter. It COULD be an IAABO mechanic. Which is mostly in the Northeast.

181174 Tue May 19, 2009 08:20pm

Who will have the count on free throws now in 2 man? if the trail is at the 28 foot line on the 2nd freethrow and the lead is opposite of the table now, who is watching the free throw shooter? in 3 man I always seem a little out of the loop on freethrows when I am trail on the table side. Just wondering how this is going to work on 2 man, will the trail have to be at about 17 or 18 feet like we were across from the table? if not its going to have to be a serious closedown to get position to watch on rebounding action.