The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

NBA Travelling - 2 steps?

ESPN has an article ( NBA head of officials seeks to clarify traveling rule - ESPN ) quoting NBA VP of referee operations Joe Borgia promoting legalization of a second step. The second step issue has bugged me for a while. While its easy to dismiss coaches who say "he only took 2 steps", in practice its much more difficult to adjudicate.

Legally a player can in a continuous motion a) take a first step before completing a dribble or to establish a pivot (e.g. after receiving a pass airborne) and b) then take another step. In practice, it is often a fine line between the latter step being legal or a travel. My rule of thumb has been that if the player is in motion and takes 2 steps, I'm passing on the fine distinction and not calling a violation. However, if the player comes to a stop before the 2 steps then there is clearly a violation.
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja View Post
Legally a player can in a continuous motion ...
So it's your position that the NBE has rules?
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 01:06pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
"I've never heard anything other than that ... Everyone in the world knows you're allowed two steps."

You think this is a quote from some typical "knowledgeable" fan or coach, but, no, this is from Joe Borgia, the NBA's vice president of referee operations.
I find this disturbing.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
You think this is a quote from some typical "knowledgeable" fan or coach, but, no, this is from Joe Borgia, the NBA's vice president of referee operations.
I find this disturbing.
Its because you are allowed, in reality, two steps! The first step is your pivot foot (step 1) and then the other is with your non-pivot (step 2), and as long as the pivot doesn't return to the floor it is a legal play. As long as i have been reffing it has been that way at all levels!
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 05:31pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64 View Post
Its because you are allowed, in reality, two steps! The first step is your pivot foot (step 1) and then the other is with your non-pivot (step 2), and as long as the pivot doesn't return to the floor it is a legal play. As long as i have been reffing it has been that way at all levels!
This is the reason the word step does not appear in the definition of traveling.

step: n. The single complete movement of raising one foot and putting it down in another spot, as in walking.

By this definition, a player in control of the ball may not take two steps, unless they are both with the same foot.

Meanwhile when a Kobe wannabe picks up his dribble, does a 360 spin and winds up 5 feet from the original spot with both feet on the floor, and I call it a travel, his coach/fans all quote Joe Borgia (and you) indignantly:

HE GETS TWO STEPS!!

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Tue May 12, 2009 at 10:29pm.