The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 01:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I don't think you get it. The remark is supposed to point out that nobody advances just because they're really good at calling traveling.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
The problem with these guys is that they've ignored it for so long they don't know how to call it. The National Coordinator made it a point of emphasis during the season and I've seen more whistles on non-travels than ever before. Yes it does take tremendous work to get better at being able to referee the defense and still see the travels, but it can be done. The best way is to move to get better position to be able to see it all. IMO, that's the main reason a lot of those guys don't pick it up - because they're out of position and many are too slow to get there consistently.
I will say this again as I have said it before. I love how people are sitting at home on their couch, and they can call the game better with a DVR, then a beer in their hand. There is no doubt that travels are missed in these games, but we miss them to at all levels. At least some of these travels are things that look funny and we only know by a replay. I see officials often call travels on things that looked funny similar to the things BillyMac posts on this site (you do not need to do it again Billy ). To say they simply ignore traveling is not only false, but not accurate considering there were several called in the tournament.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Exactly.

I will say this again as I have said it before. I love how people are sitting at home on their couch, and they can call the game better with a DVR, then a beer in their hand. There is no doubt that travels are missed in these games, but we miss them to at all levels. At least some of these travels are things that look funny and we only know by a replay. I see officials often call travels on things that looked funny similar to the things BillyMac posts on this site (you do not need to do it again Billy ). To say they simply ignore traveling is not only false, but not accurate considering there were several called in the tournament.

Peace
I did say that there were several called and at least 40% of the ones called that I saw were wrong not counting the travels that when uncalled. When I first started playing in college, our coach would bring in officials to officiate practice and answer questions. I can still remember what one of the officials (a final four official) said: "If it looks funny, it will get called."
To me that's lazy and unfair to the players. I can't even count the times I heard officials at camp say - Don't let traveling be your best call. To me there should be no difference between the ability to properly adjudicate violations and fouls. What's the point of being able to judge contact on a play if traveling occurs 1st?

Last edited by refguy; Wed Apr 08, 2009 at 01:24pm.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 01:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I did say that there were several called and at least 40% of the ones called that I saw were wrong not counting the travels that when uncalled. When I first started playing in college, our coach would bring in officials to officiate practice and answer questions. I can still remember what one of the officials (a final four official) said: "If it looks funny, it will get called."
To me that's lazy and unfair to the players.
That is interesting. I have been to a lot of camps and I have never heard anyone suggest call something that is funny. I have heard "make it be there" but not "if it looks funny...." But does that example not put holes in your point of view a bit?

Quote:
I can't even count the times I heard officials at camp say - Don't let traveling be your best call. To me there should be no difference between the ability to properly adjudicate violations and fouls. What's the point of being able to judge contact on a play if traveling occurs 1st?
In theory that sounds great. Calling traveling violations is such a subjective thing to see and has a lot of judgment to it. There are many more traveling possibilities than there are with most fouls. Every time someone starts or ends a dribble and every time a player gets control of the ball there are possibilities of a violation. Not the same thing with other fouls or even violations.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Apr 08, 2009 at 01:35pm.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is interesting. I have been to a lot of camps and I have never heard anyone suggest call something that is funny. I have heard "make it be there" but not "if it looks funny...." But does that example not put holes in your point of view a bit?

In theory that sounds great. Calling traveling violations is such a subjective thing to see and has a lot of judgment to it. There are many more traveling possibilities than there are with most fouls. Every time someone starts or ends a dribble and every time a player gets control of the ball there are possibilities of a violation. Not the same thing with other fouls or even violations.

Peace
Of course they don't say that to other officials - they would lose all credibility. I am not talking about camps. I am talking about the season. How many camp instructors actually do on the floor what they say at camp? I had one instructor tell me I should have called a tech on a player during a camp game. Same official went over 3 years without calling one and I saw plenty of situations that needed a tech called, including a game I worked with him.
Also, I've had plenty of instructors say, "Don't watch me to know what to do. Do as I say not as I do."
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 02:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Of course they don't say that to other officials - they would lose all credibility. I am not talking about camps. I am talking about the season. How many camp instructors actually do on the floor what they say at camp?
I cannot tell you how many, but many of the clinicians I have evaluate me; I have watched them in person. They practice what they preach. At least they are not doing something totally different than what I was told or what I see them tell other. There are always exceptions, but I see many follow the philosophies they teach at camps.

Quote:
I had one instructor tell me I should have called a tech on a player during a camp game. Same official went over 3 years without calling one and I saw plenty of situations that needed a tech called, including a game I worked with him.
What does one have to do with the other? Your situation might have been an obvious situation where his/her situation might have been totally different. I feel we should call more Ts in certain situations or know how to deal with situations without the T like understand when to give warnings.

Quote:
Also, I've had plenty of instructors say, "Don't watch me to know what to do. Do as I say not as I do."
I have told people that too. Depending on the instructor, they can do things because no one is judging them the same as someone that has not broken in yet. It sounds like you have a problem with dealing with the reality of what we do, then trying to evaluate every call that is being made.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The limits on foot movements are as follows:
A player, who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop, and establish a pivot foot as follows:...
How can a player catch the ball while dribbling?
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 08:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyflipjack View Post
Step one: Dig up a thread that's been dead for 6 months.
Step two: Call Diebler, he's the only one who's done it.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2009, 08:48pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyflipjack View Post
It refers to when a player catches the ball to end the dribble.

Lonesome Dove