The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 12, 2002, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Can a player standing with the ball, having established a pivot foot, lift that foot, step with the other foot, and then shoot or pass? Obviously this is legal when catching a ball while in motion, taking two steps, and shooting or passing, but what about in a post-up situation?

The NBA's Official Rules don't clearly address this situation. They simply say:

f. In starting a dribble after (1) receiving the ball while standing still, or (2) coming to a legal stop, the ball must be out of the player's hand before the pivot foot is raised off the floor.
g. If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the floor. If he drops the ball while in the air, he may not be the first to touch the ball.

Thanks for any replies.
Old Tue Nov 12, 2002, 06:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by erikengquist
Can a player standing with the ball, having established a pivot foot, lift that foot, step with the other foot, and then shoot or pass?

The NBA's Official Rules don't clearly address this situation. They simply say:

g. If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the floor.
(g) answers your question,Erik.Legal to shoot or passs until the pivot foot comes back down.Forget about (f). Don't confuse "shooting or passing" with "starting a dribble".These are 2 different rules.
Old Tue Nov 12, 2002, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can a player standing with the ball, having established a pivot foot, lift that foot, step with the other foot, and then shoot or pass?
If a player lifts his pivot foot, and then steps with his other foot, he has jumped and he has traveled when either foot re-touches the floor and he has the ball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Nov 12, 2002, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Wink

The answers are correct. As far as the NBA is concerned: forget-about-it. The NBA is not really a sport, it is really entertainment. There are no rules in the NBA - just suggestions.
Old Tue Nov 12, 2002, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

lifting the pivot foot

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I gather from them that a player pivoting in the post could legally lift his pivot foot, step with the other foot, remain on that foot indefinitely with his original pivot foot off the floor, and then pass or shoot. I had always thought, incorrectly it turns out, that once the pivot foot is lifted it's traveling if either foot comes down with ball in hand.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Re: lifting the pivot foot

Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I gather from them that a player pivoting in the post could legally lift his pivot foot, step with the other foot, remain on that foot indefinitely with his original pivot foot off the floor, and then pass or shoot. I had always thought, incorrectly it turns out, that once the pivot foot is lifted it's traveling if either foot comes down with ball in hand.
I don't want to confuse things here, but your description DOES sound like traveling to me. Player is pivoting in the post, lifts his pivot foot, STEPS WITH THE OTHER FOOT (do you mean like a "hop?") I don't see how he can STEP with the other foot without lifting it off the floor and then returning to the floor with it. If he lands with the ball in his hands = traveling. If he releases the ball (while both feet are still off the floor), it is legal.

Which do you mean? Or is it something entirely different?
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: lifting the pivot foot

Quote:
I don't think it's basketball rules that prevent this, I think it's the laws of physics!
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 05:05am
Official Forum Member

It's a hop. There's no way to lift the pivot foot and then step with the other foot.

Try it!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
It's a hop. There's no way to lift the pivot foot and then step with the other foot.

Try it!
If you had a third foot this would be possible.

Gotta think outside the box!
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 09:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Try it!

What about the seven-footers?
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Try it!

What about the seven-footers?
Whoa, they could do the macarena without moving the pivot foot
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Try it!

My point exactly (and this IS physically possible).
I want to be sure we have not confused Erikenguist.
If the ball is not thrown, and any foot or feet touch the floor = traveling.
I believe he had it right in the first place.
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Erik, what is legal is to be pivoting on the pivot foot, then step with the non pivot foot, and then raise the pivot foot and pass or shoot before the pivot foot returns to the floor. Once the pivot foot is off the floor, it cannot be put back on the floor until the ball is gone for a shot or pass. The non pivot foot can leave the floor after the pivot foot is raised ( meaning the player has gone airborne) as long as the ball is gone for a pass or shot before either foot returns to the floor. Anything else is travelling. The rule is different in respect to starting a dribble from a pivot. When a player begins a dribble from the pivot, the ball must be out of his hand (on its way to the floor) to start the dribble before the pivot foot is raised. If not--travel.

Also, do not confuse NBA rules and college rules with high school rules. The basic rule on this board is that all discussion is based on NFHS rules unless otherwise specified.

[Edited by Ralph Stubenthal on Nov 13th, 2002 at 10:35 AM]
Old Wed Nov 13, 2002, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

lifting the pivot foot

I think Ralph S. explained it best. What might have confused people was my description "lift the pivot foot and then step with the other foot." What I meant was "step with the non-pivot foot, *then* lift the pivot foot, and *then* shoot or pass." Envision Kareem Abdul-Jabbar preparing to launch a right-handed sky hook, which he always did with only his left foot on the floor. If Kareem were on the post having established his right foot as his pivot, could he then plant his left foot, lift his right (pivot) foot, and shoot? The answer appears to be yes.

Also, sorry to quote from the NBA rule book -- I just cut-pasted the text from it because the other rule books I found online were all in PDF format, and I was too lazy to retype the words.

[Edited by erikengquist on Nov 14th, 2002 at 06:29 PM]