The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 23, 2009, 09:13am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Hey, did you guys know that there's an MLB franchise called the 'Pirates'? Yeah, really, they're in Pittsburgh. I saw it on the news....
If the MLB championship ever really does involve teams from around the world, will Pittsburgh allow Somalia to use the nickname Pirates as well?
Old Thu Apr 23, 2009, 09:15am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
This happens all the time in Amish League games, though.
...where Fan Appreciation Days consist of a free small quilt, or a pocket Bible.
Old Thu Apr 23, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
...where Fan Appreciation Days consist of a free small quilt, or a pocket Bible.
...and, of course, always during day games.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Apr 23, 2009, 03:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Hey, did you guys know that there's an MLB franchise called the 'Pirates'? Yeah, really, they're in Pittsburgh. I saw it on the news....
I hate to tell you, but it's a myth. I'm sorry to see the news report you saw didn't check their sources.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 04:56am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
A Banner Day in Your Nation's Capital!

Nationals (with an O), WIN - 4th time this month!!!!!! (Young pitcher has half the team's victories....).
Orioles, WIN
Capitals, WIN
DC United, WIN

(For the sake of consistency, let's leave the Wizards and Redskins out of this....although the Wiz got a new coach and Skins had a good draft!)
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

You gotta love a straight steal of home, especially when it's on "Mr. Pickoff" himself.

Video of Ellsbury stealing home.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Yet another no-hit bid tonight.

Matt Garza has completed six PERFECT innings so far against Boston.

Update: It's over.

Infield single to the pitcher by Ellsbury leading off the 7th ruins it.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Apr 30, 2009 at 08:29pm.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 11:28am
M.A.S.H.

Manny being Manny - suspended for 50 games

Manny suspended 50 games for violating anti-drug policy - MLB - CBSSports.com Baseball
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 12:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Awe, poor misunderstood Manny.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 01:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Awe, poor misunderstood Manny.
All I have to say is:

Old Wed May 13, 2009, 09:31pm
9/11 - Never Forget

A rare feet indeed.....

Only done 49 times in MLB history.

For one night, Jayson Werth goes klepto on the basepaths - Big League Stew - MLB - Yahoo! Sports
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 06:01am
9/11 - Never Forget

And so it begins......

MLB - LaRoche, Gload lose homers after video replays - FOX Sports on MSN

Both players had already rounded the bases when umps changed the original call......
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

I get bored with MLB in, oh, around June. The season is WAAAYYY too long. However, it is interesting to note that the Rangers, a term synonymous with "17 games out in June," are not only in first place of a traditionally good division, but who's lead is surpassed only by the Dodgers (in terms of games ahead).

I know, I know: you can't win it in May. But you can sure as hell lose it, and the Rangers ALWAYS do that. I'm cautiously optimistic for a fall pennant race, and that's about all we can ask for around here.

Maybe I don't have to start rooting for the Cardinals earlier than necessary!
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 04:04pm
Archaic Power Monger

I went to the Giants - Mets games on both Thursday and Friday night. They were good games until the later innings when the Giants decided to stop playing baseball and gave up their lead both nights.
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

WS games to start 40 minutes earlier

More of pro sports catering to the bigger population on the East coast. They don't really care that most people out West aren't even off work by the scheduled first pitch, let alone have time to travel home.

I hope that two teams from the West end up in the WS.

NEW YORK -- For those dozing off by the fifth inning come October, help is on the way.
Following record-low ratings for last year's World Series between Philadelphia and Tampa Bay, Major League Baseball and Fox are moving up the start times this year.
Weeknight games in the World Series and AL Championship Series will begin at 7:57 p.m. ET, more than a half-hour before last year's first-pitch times, Fox said Monday.
The moves figures to give kids a chance watch more on school nights, and should benefit adults who need to set the alarm clock for work.
The start of Saturday night games could be even earlier, and Sunday games will continue to begin following the conclusion of the network's NFL coverage.
"Over the last few years, games have been ending a bit later than we'd like," Fox Sports president Ed Goren said in a statement. "This new schedule, made possible through the cooperation of our stations, affiliates and Major League Baseball, should help fans of all ages see weeknight games from start to finish."
Last year's World Series had scheduled starts from 8:29 p.m. to 8:35 p.m. ET, and times ranged from 3 hours, 5 minutes for Game 2 to 3:41 for rain-delayed Game 3 in Philadelphia, which began at 10:06 p.m. and didn't end until 1:47 a.m.
Philadelphia's five-game victory averaged an 8.4 rating, down 17 percent from the previous low, a 10.1 for the five-game St. Louis-Detroit series in 2006.
"Our goal is to schedule games to allow the largest number of people to watch, and this change puts our games in the window we believe will work the best for our fans," baseball commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement. "I expect that fans of all ages will respond favorably to this adjustment."
This year's Series will have the earliest start time since Game 6 between the Florida Marlins and New York Yankees in 2003 began at 7:57 p.m., according to the Elias Sports Bureau.
MLB said it will be the earliest start for a regularly scheduled Monday-to-Friday Series game since Game 5 between Baltimore and Pittsburgh in 1971, which was a day game.
Fox games will have a network air time of 7:30 p.m.
Selig had said since last October's World Series that he hoped for earlier game times.
No announcement was made about the NL Championship Series or the division series, which are televised by TBS. The earlier start does not apply to the All-Star Game on Fox, Fox spokesman Lou D'Ermilio said.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press