The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
For those of you who don't understand mbyron's most recent post, Cleveland Indians vs. New York Yankees - Recap - April 18, 2009 - ESPN

Tribe scores 14 in the top of the second inning against the Yankees, winning the game 22-4. No team has EVER scored 14 runs in the 2nd inning of a game, and it happened in just the third game ever played in the new Yankees stadium.

Wang's ERA is now somewhere around 34.50. ESPN's Tim Kurkjian was on SportsCenter this morning with some other great stats about the game. The 14 runs in the 2nd is more than the Braves have scored in their last five games combined, I think.

One of the NYC papers had this on the back page:

Ballpark: $1.5 billion
Payroll: $200 million
Team: Worthless.

Somewhere right now, JR and Dan and rolling in their graves.

Last edited by ChuckElias; Sun Apr 19, 2009 at 09:35am.
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 11:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

A Bronx Cheer ...

ChuckElias: Let's not make a mistake and gloat too much about what happened in the Bronx yesterday. The Bronx team is still a half a game ahead of The Olde Towne Team in the standings, and neither team is above .500, yet. And remember, what goes around, comes around.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 12:20pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
The "New" Launching Pad?

The 17 home runs in the first three games at the new Yankees Stadium is apparently the most ever hit in the first three games at any "new" park in major league history.

PS - I know it's early but, any money on whether the Yankee Manager lasts the yr.....? What say you Nevada?
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
ChuckElias: Let's not make a mistake and gloat too much
You've seriously misunderstood me, Billy. I was not gloating at all (especially with the Sox in last in the division). I was merely explaining why mbyron was gloating.
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 01:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Olde Towne Team ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias View Post
Sox in last in the division.
It's better than that. The Olde Towne Team is a half a game ahead of the defending American League Champions:
Boston Red Sox 5 6 .455 3.0
Tampa Bay Rays 5 7 .417 3.5
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 03:12pm
9/11 - Never Forget

More History in the Bronx......

Bottom of 7, Yanks down by a run. Matsui on base. Jorge Posada, PH, and drives a ball to right. Trevor Crowe, Indians, RF, leaps to make a play and a fan interferes w/ the ball (ala Jeffrey Maier). Ump determines it a HR, Indians Coach comes out to argue. The Umps go to the REPLAY Booth, apparently for the first time......and rule it a HR. Interesting call and replay. You'll see it on ESPN umpteen times I'm sure.
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wang's ERA is now somewhere around 34.50.
I read that he will have to pitch over 48 scoreless innings (7 or 8 shutout starts) to bring his ERA down to his career average.

According to the Yankees, "he's not hurt."
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Sox are almost looking respectable, winning again yesterday. Bruins are up 2-0 on the Habs. We won't talk about the C's (although I still think they'll win the series).

Marlins become the first team EVER to sweep a 3-game series after trailing in the 9th inning or later in each of the three games.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 10:39am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Marlins become the first team EVER to sweep a 3-game series after trailing in the 9th inning or later in each of the three games.
In a related story and on a sad, side-note, I think the Nats have now been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs!
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 02:10pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
In a related story and on a sad, side-note, I think the Nats have now been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs!
And in other news, somebody forgot to tell the Giants that they're not in Spring Training anymore.

I'm also pretty sure the pitching staff is collectively drunk.

Last edited by Welpe; Mon Apr 20, 2009 at 02:12pm.
Old Mon Apr 20, 2009, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Plus they can't even spell their own name!

Updated: April 19, 2009, 7:01 PM ET
Nationals mistake

AP Photo/Charles DharapakRyan Zimmerman sports a "Natinals" jersey on Friday against the Marlins.

Many people have wondered for years where the hapless Washington Nationals' "O" went, but on Friday it was completely missing from the jerseys of Ryan Zimmerman and Adam Dunn. Early into the game the Nationals discovered the "Natinals" mistake and by the fourth inning Zimmerman and Dunn had changed into correctly spelled jerseys, according to The Associated Press. As editors and writers we understand that typographical errors can happen to anyone. But it's hard to resist poking fun at an amusing target such as the Nationals. Maybe they should have stuck with Expos ... and stayed in Montreal for that matter.
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

And yesterday, for the first time in major league history, a Micah hit a home run off of a Micah. Micah Hoffpauir, Cubs right-fielder, hit his 1st home run of the season off Micah Owings, the Cincinnati pitcher better known for his hitting than pitching.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Apr 22, 2009, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

This happens all the time in Amish League games, though.
Old Thu Apr 23, 2009, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Hey, did you guys know that there's an MLB franchise called the 'Pirates'? Yeah, really, they're in Pittsburgh. I saw it on the news....