The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just looking for a clarification on the result of this Case Book play (4.19.6 - A):

Airborn A1, while trying for a foeld goal, is fouled be B1. A1 continues with the trying motion and before or after releasing the ball, crashes into B2 who has legal position. The try by A1 is successful. Ruling: Even though A1 was fouled, the ball remains live because the foul occurred during the trying motion. When airborne shooter A1 fouled B2, however, this was a player-control foul, which caused the ball to become dead immediately. Therefore, the field goal by A1 does not count, however, A1 is granted two free throws for being fouled in the act of shooting. (4-1; 4-11; 6-7 Exc 3)

My confusion is about what happens during A1's free throws. Do we clear the lane and it's B's ball nearest the spot of the player-control foul? Or is the only penalty for the player-control foul the not awarding of the basket? Seems to me you penalize both fouls, as this is not a double foul situation. A1 gets his free throws, but then you penalize the player-control foul and give the ball to B for a throw in. Am I right or am I missing something? I would think that if they go to the trouble of explaining that A1 gets his free throwns, they'd finish the description of the play and say what happens after that.

Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Guess I should have just kept reading. Next page in the Case for False Double Foul (4.19.8-A) - it's almost the exact same situation, only this time they go on to explain that the free throws are awarded with the lane cleared, then ball goes to B at the spot nearest the foul. One interesting note is that if the last free throw is unsuccessful, it's a spot throw in. If it's successful, B gets the end line.
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 04:19pm
In Memoriam

If you keep on reading even further, case book play 6.7.4 is the exact same play as the one that you described.