The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 11:29am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up Spring league ready to start

Just got my schedule for the first weekend of spring league. This is a MS league that goes almost until June, then summer league starts. I was really happy to see some refs on the schedule that I haven't seen in a few years. In fact, some of them will be working games at the same time as me this weekend, so we'll get to say hi. Some of you guys may remember me talking about one of them - the Immortal Dave! For those of you who don't know about him, let me just say the guy is so sarcastic he makes me seem like Pollyanna.

BTW - this league plays 22 minutes running halves with a 3 minute half time. Teams get two 30 second timeouts per half with no carryover, so games are over in about 50 minutes. One rule I really like is that any unsportsmanlike technicals are two shots, possession AND TWO POINTS for the team that was fouled. They really emphasize sportsmanship. In fact, our instructions tell us they'd rather have us call the games too tight rather than too loose.

I love this league.

Also BTW - three of my games on Sunday are with "Joe the teacher". He's a HS teacher and a buddy of mine. During one HS rec game this past season, he told one kid that if he didn't knock off the rough play, not only would he give him a technical, but also detention.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Just got my schedule for the first weekend of spring league. This is a MS league that goes almost until June, then summer league starts. I was really happy to see some refs on the schedule that I haven't seen in a few years. In fact, some of them will be working games at the same time as me this weekend, so we'll get to say hi. Some of you guys may remember me talking about one of them - the Immortal Dave! For those of you who don't know about him, let me just say the guy is so sarcastic he makes me seem like Pollyanna.

BTW - this league plays 22 minutes running halves with a 3 minute half time. Teams get two 30 second timeouts per half with no carryover, so games are over in about 50 minutes. One rule I really like is that any unsportsmanlike technicals are two shots, possession AND TWO POINTS for the team that was fouled. They really emphasize sportsmanship. In fact, our instructions tell us they'd rather have us call the games too tight rather than too loose.

I love this league.

Also BTW - three of my games on Sunday are with "Joe the teacher". He's a HS teacher and a buddy of mine. During one HS rec game this past season, he told one kid that if he didn't knock off the rough play, not only would he give him a technical, but also detention.
Great rule to have in youth leagues. I'm sure it curtails some of the BS that may happen

-Josh
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 11:33am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
Great rule to have in youth leagues. I'm sure it curtails some of the BS that may happen

-Josh
I agree. Note it does not apply for administrative technicals, only unsportsmanlike. Good rule.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

I did an adult wreck league last week that gave $100 fines for each technical foul. Needless to say they were all incredibly well behaved and respectful in their questions.

Worked another adult wreck league over the weekend without anything in place for this; needless to say I've never heard so much yapping. One guy gets a tech for a series of complaints ending with "Seriously What the F**K!?" -- as we're lining up, one of his teammates comes to complain to me that his teammate didn't deserve a technical, he said nothing disrespectful.

Starting in my third adult wreck league a week from Monday (I like to work a full week schedule leading up to camps).
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree. Note it does not apply for administrative technicals, only unsportsmanlike. Good rule.
That's what makes it a good rule. I might suggest this rule to the organizer of the leagues I do. Thanks for sharing Mark!

-Josh
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 08:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Just saw the game schedule and I have all 6th grade girls games this weekend. However, it will be very interesting because three of the teams are from Oregon City. Oregon City has had one of the top HS girls programs in the nation for many years and even the teams at MS level run their HS plays, so that when the girls get to HS, they already know the system.

What will be kind of cool is that in one game, two of the OC teams are playing each other. I hope they wear different color jerseys or I probably won't be able to tell them apart.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 08:31pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:

I love this league.

Would he make him write sentences on the board?
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 08:33pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
I did an adult wreck league last week that gave $100 fines for each technical foul. Needless to say they were all incredibly well behaved and respectful in their questions.

Worked another adult wreck league over the weekend without anything in place for this; needless to say I've never heard so much yapping. One guy gets a tech for a series of complaints ending with "Seriously What the F**K!?" -- as we're lining up, one of his teammates comes to complain to me that his teammate didn't deserve a technical, he said nothing disrespectful.

Starting in my third adult wreck league a week from Monday (I like to work a full week schedule leading up to camps).
You asked for it.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 08:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Would he make him write sentences on the board?
Not as funny as the other incident in a game I worked with a teacher about a month ago. It was a sixth grade boys game and my partner was a fifth grade teacher from the same school district as where one of the teams came from. Apparently, he had a few of the boys in his class the previous year.

During the game, one of those boys got an offensive rebound and put it back up, but he shot it completely over the backboard. As he turned to go down court, he said "That was horrible". My partner looked at him and said, "Yeah, like your spelling." The kid just laughed and said, "You're right."
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Brainstorming ...

Quote:
I have all 6th grade girls games this weekend. Two of the Oregon City teams are playing each other. I hope they wear different color jerseys or I probably won't be able to tell them apart.
Shirts and skins ???
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:39pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Not as funny as the other incident in a game I worked with a teacher about a month ago. It was a sixth grade boys game and my partner was a fifth grade teacher from the same school district as where one of the teams came from. Apparently, he had a few of the boys in his class the previous year.

During the game, one of those boys got an offensive rebound and put it back up, but he shot it completely over the backboard. As he turned to go down court, he said "That was horrible". My partner looked at him and said, "Yeah, like your spelling." The kid just laughed and said, "You're right."
Didn't he say "Your rite"?
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 07:27am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Didn't he say "Your rite"?
C'mon Gapper, you're getting as bad as Mark now!

My spring leagues start up in two weeks. We haven't had the "T" issues of which this thread discusses in the past, but, this is the first yr the league is having a B16/18 Division. So, we'll see how it goes.....
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post

-Josh
Or it makes some officials less likely to call a T when one is needed.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
Or it makes some officials less likely to call a T when one is needed.
That could be the case I would agree. However, I think most experienced officials know when that line is crossed and would penalize the offender accordingly.

-Josh
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 11:44am
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
C'mon Gapper, you're getting as bad as Mark now!
I do not think that is possible.